T Nation

Exercises Which Don't Feel Right...

Okay, so I started my total compound exercise workout and consequently there were some new exercises I tried for the first time. Some of them, although being some of the best for the respective workout, didn’t feel right. I couldn’t get a real good feeling out of them, and I don’t really know why. One is bent over rows. I feel a much better squeeze when I do rear delt rows. Or instead of upright rows, I feel the medial deltoid burn a lot more with a lateral raise (and yes, I did change the weight for the row).

Does anyone else have certain favorites and avoid others, or do you just get over it since they are such a crucial exercise?

Meatwad

P.S. Sorry if this sounds stupid…

Upright rows aren’t by any means necessary, or even one of the better exercises available for development of the shoulder girdle. I’d dump them for an alternative.

As for the bent-over rows, really concentrate on pinching your shoulder blades together to start the movement, then continue the motion with your arms. What might be happening is you’re pulling the bar most of the way with your arms first so that there isn’t anywhere for the bar to go (ie, pressed against your abs) when you try to fire the rhomboids/finish contracting the lats.

If that doesn’t fix it, you don’t absolutely need bent over rows either. Try to get them to work first, though.

-Dan

[quote]Meatwad8 wrote:
Okay, so I started my total compound exercise workout and consequently there were some new exercises I tried for the first time. Some of them, although being some of the best for the respective workout, didn’t feel right. I couldn’t get a real good feeling out of them, and I don’t really know why. One is bent over rows. I feel a much better squeeze when I do rear delt rows. Or instead of upright rows, I feel the medial deltoid burn a lot more with a lateral raise (and yes, I did change the weight for the row).

Does anyone else have certain favorites and avoid others, or do you just get over it since they are such a crucial exercise?

Meatwad

P.S. Sorry if this sounds stupid…[/quote]
Your profile isn’t too descriptive so I don’t know your level of training etc. However, if you’re just beginning to do major compound exercises, it’s very common to have a weak core, posterior chain & general weakness of support muscles. This means that you won’t be able to get a good workout on your ‘target’ muscles until everything else catches up… but it’s worth it in the end.

Upright rows cause shoulder impingement, I personally don’t do them.

Favorites? Hell yes: deadlifts and chin-ups.

I can’t think of any exercises I’ve dropped because they didn’t feel right so much as that they didn’t seem as effective as others.

I’m new to working out, as in within the last few months. I know what you’re talking about with the bad neuromuscular response. At first, I couldn’t even squeeze my glutes to get a good push up out of a squat. Now, I have much better control over my squeeze and can lift more.

I LOVE working my lower body (I’d do hamstring curls even if they didn’t do anything for me), and stuff like triceps and back seem to feel uncomfortable. But I know I have horrible upper body strength, so its probably a case of poor neuromuscular training on my upper body.

Meatwad

for myself it’s any lying tricep extension…i always get shooting pain in my elbow.

[quote]t-ha wrote:
Meatwad8 wrote:

Meatwad

P.S. Sorry if this sounds stupid…
Your profile isn’t too descriptive so I don’t know your level of training etc. However, if you’re just beginning to do major compound exercises, it’s very common to have a weak core, posterior chain & general weakness of support muscles. This means that you won’t be able to get a good workout on your ‘target’ muscles until everything else catches up… but it’s worth it in the end.

Upright rows cause shoulder impingement, I personally don’t do them.
[/quote]

I agree with this completely. Upright rows screw my shoulder up, so I stopped doing them a couple years ago.

And the form on Bent over rows is hard to get unless, as said, you have a strong core. You will end up trying to do more weight and then having form suffer because you can’t hold the weight that your back can do. This also happened to me. Stick with the rows, but do good mornings, RDL, etc. If they progress somewhere near equally, you’ll feel alot better about them. I did.