Exercises to Help with Chin-Ups...

just keep doing pull-ups. use different grips and really do a lot of bicep curls where you squeeze at the top. work them frequently.

[quote]dankid wrote:
People tend to use a lot of legs and abs in their pulldowns, where if your doing strict pullups, this is not possible.[/quote]

What?

Do a pull-up without flexing your abs. You can’t.

Any imaging of a pull-up will show major activation in the abdominis region.

I realize it’s cool to attack the lat pull down machine. So I guess you get “points” for that - or something. But your physiology is “fail the final exam” wrong.

Using the bands from elitfts helps us big guys. You’ll get more volume with the bands, as you can use 'em at home. Use the bands as an assist.

3 is good progress, btw. I can barely get 2 and need the bands for volume.

[quote]ungs9 wrote:
I didn’t say you couldn’t use pulldowns, I do use them, I’m just saying that because you can do 5 pulldowns with your bodyweight doesn’t mean that you will be able to do even one pullup. They’re different.

SeaHag-I go to MSU in mankato I did go to Gustavus as a Health Fitness major but they made us take all these nursing classes with the girls(they have a great nursing program there) and the 10 Health Fitness majors were an afterthought to the 100 nurses in every class. [/quote]

I’m in Mankato as well. Workout at the St. Peter high school gym, after my night shift, with my coworker who is assistant football coach there.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
dankid wrote:
People tend to use a lot of legs and abs in their pulldowns, where if your doing strict pullups, this is not possible.

What?

Do a pull-up without flexing your abs. You can’t.

Any imaging of a pull-up will show major activation in the abdominis region.

I realize it’s cool to attack the lat pull down machine. So I guess you get “points” for that - or something. But your physiology is “fail the final exam” wrong.[/quote]

WOOOooo-HOOOoo!

chin ups

[quote]SeaHag wrote:
ungs9 wrote:
I didn’t say you couldn’t use pulldowns, I do use them, I’m just saying that because you can do 5 pulldowns with your bodyweight doesn’t mean that you will be able to do even one pullup. They’re different.

SeaHag-I go to MSU in mankato I did go to Gustavus as a Health Fitness major but they made us take all these nursing classes with the girls(they have a great nursing program there) and the 10 Health Fitness majors were an afterthought to the 100 nurses in every class.

I’m in Mankato as well. Workout at the St. Peter high school gym, after my night shift, with my coworker who is assistant football coach there.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.[/quote]

You might also consider doing some grip specialization at some point if thats the weak link in your pull-up prowess.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:

You might also consider doing some grip specialization at some point if thats the weak link in your pull-up prowess.

[/quote]

Aware of this…but its not currently a problem. I run out of strength in several other areas long before my grip becomes an issue.

I had a buddy spot me on chins the other day. Did my three unassisted, then with my legs bent, had him apply some assist for 5 reps of short top range chins to work my problem area. Did this twice…and my mid back, between the shoulder blades ached like a mofo for most of the next three days. I’ll continue with similar routines and see if it doesn’t bring up this weak area.

Thanks again for the helpful ideas.

[quote]dankid wrote:
And just because an exercise works the same muscles, doesn’t mean it will make you better at the other exercise.[/quote]

It sure as hell doesn’t mean it won’t.

[quote]2274 wrote:
Top range partial chins should do the trick. [/quote]

I think this simplifies everything. It attacks to OP’s main problem which is at the top. Simple and effective.

[quote]SeaHag wrote:
I’ve gotten a lot better/stronger at chin ups in the past year. Going from needing a complete stack [160#] of assist weight to actually being able to do 3 without assistance. I know, thats not shit to most of you guys…but you probably don’t weigh 295# right now either. [Down from 380, so please cut me some slack for progress][/quote]

Good going SeaHag,

I struggle with chins too , but I love doing them. I’m a bit over 300lbs. I train/compete powerlifting & strongman so I like being big.

I’ve read alot of stuff on chins and how to improve, but progress has been very very slow for me. But I aint giving up. You try negatives?

The problem I have is getting stronger in the weakest position. Your strength in the weakest position limits how much you can do. Having a spot at the sticking points is a good idea.