T Nation

Exercises to help scoliosis

So i’ve been lifting consistently for about 4 years now, and just discovered recently that I have scoliosis. My right hip is raised some (giving me that functional LLD) due to the lumbar curve and there is a significant curve at the top end of the T spine meeting the C spine, rotation to my left is limited some due to that. my right abs, hip flexors, QL , obliques and Lat are tighter. Im working on stretches for all of those, but what sort of exercises do you guys think would be beneficial? I have already reached a somewhat respectable level of strength, but i don’t want to have the crooked spine bullshit to keep me from continuing to progress.

currently im using exercises like, weighted ab wheel rollouts, DB side bends, Deadlifts to strengthen the core, as well as stretches and foam rolling. What else if anything could I add or change?

Is chiropractics actually worth it? the chrio I saw said my scoliosis was significant, but what surprised when I told him I deadlifted 535lbs and squat 475lbs. Inb4 Lamar Gant, im not that freakish.

[quote]EllisUFC wrote:
So i’ve been lifting consistently for about 4 years now, and just discovered recently that I have scoliosis. My right hip is raised some (giving me that functional LLD) due to the lumbar curve and there is a significant curve at the top end of the T spine meeting the C spine, rotation to my left is limited some due to that. my right abs, hip flexors, QL , obliques and Lat are tighter. Im working on stretches for all of those, but what sort of exercises do you guys think would be beneficial? I have already reached a somewhat respectable level of strength, but i don’t want to have the crooked spine bullshit to keep me from continuing to progress.

currently im using exercises like, weighted ab wheel rollouts, DB side bends, Deadlifts to strengthen the core, as well as stretches and foam rolling. What else if anything could I add or change?

Is chiropractics actually worth it? the chrio I saw said my scoliosis was significant, but what surprised when I told him I deadlifted 535lbs and squat 475lbs. Inb4 Lamar Gant, im not that freakish.
[/quote]

Inafter Quad pic for back scoliosis, tbh sounds like you have a solid plan. Would not see chiro

Thanks for the input BHOLL, i just had that pic of my legs handy, its hard to see my scoliosis from the back, but the x ray really shows how much rotation and curve there is.

I’ll be interested to see if you get additional feedback. I have almost the exact same issues with Scoliosis…

Just a question… From the pic it seems to be a no, but have you had any internal rotation of either femur? I ask because I’m dealing with internal rotation of my femur and my right side is about an inch lower than my left. I’ve tried tons of stuff and haven’t seen much progress. Just curious and looks like you’ve made great progress given your situation.

bulkncut, the physio that looked at me said if anything i lacked a small bit of internal rotation on my shorter side.

I’ve actually made some improvements here in the last 3 weeks or so, with lots of QL , oblique and lat stretching on short side, as well as lacrosse ball in my upper glutes and around my erectors. t spine extension still not optimal, the chiropractor cant get it to budge even by jumping on it pretty much. i’m hoping by fixing the lower problem the curveture in my upper back might right itself some, i can always feel the left trap on tension, and right rhomboid is over stretched as well