T Nation

Exercises to Bulletproof the Lower Back/Core

Hey guys,

I've tweaked my lower back a little bit. I haven't been doing any hyperextensions lately and I've found that when I keep them in my program my whole back/core is much less injury prone than at times when I get in a "only the basics"-mindset and leave them out.

It seems like 3-5 sets of high rep hyperextensions can go a long way...

I'm curious if you have any tips for "bulletproofing" the lower back and core - exercises or tips that helped you personally to avoid back pain...

Thanks.

Abs or lower back or hips or hamstrings as part of your warm up, everyday.

Someitmes do hypers and decline situps.
Sometimes do leg raises and reverse hypers.
Or sidebends and clamshells.
Stir the pot and bird dogs.
Leg curls and walking with a band around your knees.
Glute/Ham raise paired with ab wheel.

Get your abs and hips and glutes working properly before you get to the big, heavy compound lifts.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Get your abs and hips and glutes working properly before you get to the big, heavy compound lifts. [/quote]

I completely agree with that.

OP, you should be doing a lot of ab bracing movements to bring that strength up and integrating it properly into compound lifts. Your core shouldn’t fail if you want to get as strong as possible and reduce chances of injuries.

Breathing paused squats hit my abs the hardest. You have to brace properly while maintaining a neutral spine. Take deep breaths until you feel it. This helped me learn how to brace using a compound movement. For an isolation exercise, I did hollow holds to build the mind-muscle connection.

Reverse hypers have made my back indestructible.

Abs or lower back or hips or hamstrings as part of your warm up, everyday.[/quote]
Good idea. I remember CT talking about crossfitters doing hyperextensions every workout and having super strong backs in one of his articles…

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Reverse hypers have made my back indestructible.[/quote]
Nice! I just joined a new gym (just went there once until now). It’s about twice the size of my old gym (but half as expensive haha), so if I’m lucky there’s one of those reverse hypers somewhere. I’m not so optimistic though…

This along with plenty of ab work and stretching my glutes/hips often helped a ton.

[quote]kackbratze wrote:

Abs or lower back or hips or hamstrings as part of your warm up, everyday.[/quote]
Good idea. I remember CT talking about crossfitters doing hyperextensions every workout and having super strong backs in one of his articles…

Nice! I just joined a new gym (just went there once until now). It’s about twice the size of my old gym (but half as expensive haha), so if I’m lucky there’s one of those reverse hypers somewhere. I’m not so optimistic though…[/quote]

You don’t need a reverse hyper to do the movement. Youtube reverse hyper alternatives.

[quote]PhiKappaGuy wrote:

[quote]kackbratze wrote:

Nice! I just joined a new gym (just went there once until now). It’s about twice the size of my old gym (but half as expensive haha), so if I’m lucky there’s one of those reverse hypers somewhere. I’m not so optimistic though…[/quote]

You don’t need a reverse hyper to do the movement. Youtube reverse hyper alternatives.[/quote]

I never found the alternatives to be as useful/effective as the actual reverse hyper. The ability to allow the leg to swing through on the eccentric seems to be lacking in a lot of cases, with too much emphasis on the concentric.

“Suitcase carries” have helped me a lot.

Good mornings, 5 sets of 10.

I like to do leg raises from a hang like either with a roman chair or something like that. Not the kind where you lie down. Especially after a heavy legs and/or back session. It really helps me align and decompress my back. For best results I like to do legs together, apart, and far apart. The key is to use control and avoid momentum and swinging.

Also, doing sit ups. Not the regular kind. Try squeezing a foam roller hard inbetween your legs while doing them. It actually tractions the back. I don’t keep this in regular rotation, but if my posterior hip or back is bothering me I work it in.

Reverse hypers are the reason I can compete again. Best invention ever.

I really like doing deficit stiff leg DL for 5-8 reps after I squat

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

This along with plenty of ab work and stretching my glutes/hips often helped a ton.[/quote]

any specific stretching you’d recommend?