T Nation

Exercises Required to Stimulate Hypertrophy?

Is it enough with only one exercise per muscle group, or will I get bigger faster with more exercises?

Just to stimulate hypertrophy? Then yes, as long as you lift heavy enough, all you need is one. If you want to shape the muscle you’ll use some extra exercises.
Ex. Flat bench pressing will add size to your chest, but if you want to really sculpt your chest you’ll want to add in flies, incline presses, dips, etc.

As long as you’re progressively overloading the muscle.

I would say that VOLUME is really important. 10x10 on squats will leave you certain you’ve no need for any other quad exercise…

…Assuming you’re serious about the weight you’re using.

Imo, if you’re a real beginner; just starting or been working out a few months. Then you can do damn near anything and gain size and strength, just avoid the classic nothing but bicep curls and bench press workouts practiced by 90percent of todays beginnners. Just lift heavy, with good form, and lots of effort, eat lots and sleep well.

Theres no point in worrying about “sculpting” your muscle untill you have a strong base to sculpt from, just work to keep a balance and as I said lift heavy.

[quote]Vektarm wrote:
Is it enough with only one exercise per muscle group, or will I get bigger faster with more exercises?[/quote]

What program are you doing?

Thanks guys!