Exercises Per Upper Body Workout - Fatigue

It is common sense to use heavier exercises first, not last.
So we start with bench, then we do dumbbell presses, and only then we do curls and shit.

Also, there are different intensities and different people who feel the intensity differently.
Someone can feel like he gave 100%, but for someone else that would be a warmup. Thats why there are people who can crash their CNS after a set of deadlifts, and some can do 10 sets of 10 on deadlifts and feel fine. The intensity a person can or is willing to put in, determines how many exercises he can do.

Anyways, you should be able to do at least 1 vertical push, 1 vertical pull, 1 horizontal push and 1 horizontal pull exercise to call it an upper body workout.

My upper body days consist of either bench or overhead press, followed by 3 supersets of 2 exercises each, one for pushing, one for pulling in each superset, so its 1+6 exercises total.

2 Likes

He does curls as a first exercise. Id say hes winging it.

3 Likes

:laughing:

to be fair, I prefer to allow the OP to talk themselves through it with a series of questions, leading where we both know this is going.

4 Likes

Curls is a conscious choice first briefly. I have lagging biceps which I need to be stronger to close the next level Powertwister , the ,itta haying 100 gold.
I have multiple goals .

I used to do lots of dB pressing , clean and snatches. I wanted to improve this . But the bench is suffering.

I just do sets of 10 and a top set for as many as I can with circa 70-80 percent . I do not have the endurance to do set programmes normally. I do what I can do.

Considering where we are now, this could take quite a few posts… maybe 50 or more.

I am not at all remotely sure what his strategy is.

3 Likes

I am working on getting my bw down to get better relative strength for the big 3 and the Powertwister is
a hobby focusing on lower strength mainly.

I want to work close to failure to help retain muscle mass while losing weight, so I walking a lot every day and focusing on primarily strength and hopefully good relative strength.

Where are you now?

1. Body weight
  2. Bench Press
  3. Squat
  4. Deadlift

I have no idea what Powertwister is.

1 Like

Bw 260lbs in the morning. I have lost 13 pounds.
Bench 130-140kg
( Not done in a few weeks)
Squat - I can’t get bar on my back but I can zercher 180kg to parallel or slightly below)
Deadlift - straight bar around 210-220kg 200 easily

Trap bar deadlift 268 kg but high handles

A Powertwister is a heavy duty rated spring with handles that is bent .

I’m 165 cm 5 foot 5

2 Likes

One day you may understand why I keep saying you need to focus on your GPP.

6 Likes

I do understand thanks I am starting with the walking. I am gradually feeling fitter.
I am hoping to get some proper conditioning work in the coming weeks.

Should I use quite light weights i.e. 16 kg kettle bells.
I do.not think I am strong enough to use 24 kg for conditioning.

Hope is not a plan my dude. I would make my training a condition BLOCK at this point, with some brief lifting for maintenance. Something like Dan John’s easy strength for the strength work

3 Likes

Have done as few as 3 with intensification/failure methods (while having some left in the tank), and as many as 10-12 with straight sets. But this is utterly irrelevant.

I think you are in much need of some metabolic conditioning. Have you looked into Thibbs’ Metcon for Muscle plan? I think you would do incredibly well with this, meeting multiple goals and targetting some weaknesses.

4 Likes

Thanks I enjoy CT’s ideas I will try the programm.
Looks tough. I might have to use some substitution for the squat. Perhaps I could use the open bar squats. Not much load there though. Could I use the trap bar instead of the squat using a squat pattern?

1 Like

I ran it for the full course and can confirm it is indeed tough.

The intent is to hit the legs, not train a movement; I’m sure you could do this.

You are more than welcome to not follow this plan, it is simply a suggestion. I do believe this would fit your goals very well though, and would certainly give you more work capacity than you have currently.

2 Likes

I will give it a go. How long do the workouts take you?

1 Like

In a commercial gym, about 30 mins when waiting for equipment. Was about the same time in my home gym but that is probably due to adjusting equipment more than anything.

You’re welcome to read into how it went for me, though don’t be put off by the final summary. I was cutting during this program and having a hard time with compliance in addition to work, school and family. I didn’t make much for gains, but was able to improve my conditioning and gain some strength - while in a deficit.

Did that stress you out? I know it’s nonsensical, but I feel like that gets in the way for a lot of people - we equate short with easy.

1 Like

Oh this is just what I’m looking for 30 mins is great .
I want to out within an hour normally. Get 6-7am to train weekdays.
Might be difficult getting hold of the sled though with the CrossFit class there lol.

Just had a brief looks. Looks like CT gives some nice useful feedback.
I may take the weekend off and start on Monday.

1 Like

Actually yes, like a lot. It was my biggest complaint about the program.

1 Like