Exercises for Wife Post-Pregnancy?

Hello Ladies, Would you mind me asking? I’m the one doing the weight lifting, but my wife needs help. I could read a dozen websites, but T-Nation always has the best advice. My wife is 36 and has had 5 children, 3 via C-Section. Our last child was born May 2008, so 8 months ago, and she’d be going through the hormone change out of maternity mode, back into being, well ladylike:)

She has a Hernia which she needs to get sorted, however she’s back at work as a Carer for the elderly in a Care Home, she cycles to and from work appx a mile. She has stored a lot of bodyfat on her hips and wants to tackle them now, to help her feel better about herself.

Can anyone recommend an excercise she can do to help?
Although she works, she works 5 days one week and 2 the next, so has a bit of time to rest etc. She is aware of her Hernia, and that she can’t/shouldn’t do much, but she’s strong willed and stubborn.

Kind regards

Mike(Over 35 Lifter)

What kind of hernia? Disc? How much time does she have to spare a week? Whats her current diet like? And what kind of facility/equipment will she have available?

Wow, I’d given up on this post. Update:

A gastric hernia. Shes had her op 2 weeks ago and they gave her a General and cut her open to install a mesh. She hoped she was having keyhole.She’s had 2 weeks rest and wants to go back to work. Her doc says 1st of May she can go back.

She works as a Care Assistant, oops-lifting, and has to work there until July, because the company paid for her to do all her training, so she has to work until July, or otherwise she has to pay for all her training. Yikes. Her hours are flexible, so she has a bit of spare time. Her diet isn’t as good as it should be, and having had 3 Cesarean sections and 2 natural births, she’s been through it, we only have 4 children. She, up until she stopped for her op, cycled the 2 mile journey to work does a 7 hour shift and cycles 2 miles back, which involves some steep hills. Her best time being 10 mins, with quiet roads. I have a selection of weights and a basic bench, a sit up bar for a door and a pull up/chin bar.

What do you think?

Kind regards.

Mike:)

Mike - it’s a bit nerveracking to give advice to someone about their wife who has some medical issues… I would be willing to bet that’s why you haven’t had many replies.

Honestly I think any basic workout routine that is approved by her Dr. that doesn’t cause her pain would be fine. Starting with basic pushups, pullups, body weight squats, lunges, step-ups, inverted rows, planks, etc.

Maybe try 2-3 days a week on a push/pull/legs split or 2 days a week of full body…?

If she is limited physically then it is even MORE important for your diet to be spot on! I would make sure she knows that! Lots of protein, veggies, good fats, water, and clean carbs at breakfast and surrounding her workouts is a good place to start. Also make sure she takes a high quality multi-vitamin and lots of fish oil… at least 10-15 g a day!

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, make sure she is cleared by her Dr! =D

I agree! WIth her hernia she may be limited to only few options… I too have 6 children and a csection in May 2008… I was back in the gym about 6 to 8 weeks… But she needs to listen to her body and of course her Dr… Awesome she makes time for herself in the gym though! Id rather put my 2 hrs of “Me” time to the gym than anthing else!

Thankyou kindly.

Will be back if we need to.

Kind Regards

Mike

[quote]mmgalb727 wrote:
If she is limited physically then it is even MORE important for your diet to be spot on! I would make sure she knows that! Lots of protein, veggies, good fats, water, and clean carbs at breakfast and surrounding her workouts is a good place to start. Also make sure she takes a high quality multi-vitamin and lots of fish oil… at least 10-15 g a day!

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, make sure she is cleared by her Dr! =D[/quote]

This is good advice. Has she been medically cleared to workout out yet? What did the doctor say regarding her limitations?