T Nation

Exercises for the Westside Template

I just started it (Finally) today.Im trying to figure ot what exercises to do on ME squat/pull and DE squat/pull.I figure on ME day I would do my workup to a 1 rep max,then 3 lifts at 90%,then rack pulls,boxes,pulls off plates or off a box.I dont have any chains or bands yet so Im limited.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Im not exactly an expert, but these are whats worked for me:

ME Lower-
box squat (various hights)
front squat off the box (various heights again)
deadlifts off the floor- only for 1/2 weeks

DE Lower-
The only real dynamic stuff I do is speed pulls and squats as I also dont have bands and chains etc, so mine is often more of a repitition lower day. Generally front squats, RDL and snatch grip deadlifts. For some reason I seem to be able to handle front squatting a lot more often than back squatting.

Id be interested to see what other people suggest.

ME Lower
-different height boxes (below, above or at //)
-rack pulls from various heights (mid shin, below knees, over knees)
-deads from a deficit or off a platform

There’s more than enough variations there for your training.

So do I do boxes on DE lower too?Im familiar with the percentages(55,60,65,10x2)But I figured lower boxes on DE and higher on ME so I can increase workload.Damn this shit is confusing.Today I did ME and did this (Weak numbers I know)

135 x 3
225 x3
275 x 3
315 x 2
375 x2
405 x1(high box)

RDL’S 3 X 10
Pull Throughs 3 X 10
Abs 3 X 10

do I need to add more sets?

[quote]viking666 wrote:
So do I do boxes on DE lower too?Im familiar with the percentages(55,60,65,10x2)But I figured lower boxes on DE and higher on ME so I can increase workload.Damn this shit is confusing.Today I did ME and did this (Weak numbers I know)

135 x 3
225 x3
275 x 3
315 x 2
375 x2
405 x1(high box)

RDL’S 3 X 10
Pull Throughs 3 X 10
Abs 3 X 10

do I need to add more sets?[/quote]

I would have done this

135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x1
405x1 (PR or heaviest set of the day)
485x1 (3rd Rep at 90%)

I think that you will find that the extra sets better prepare you for a big lift.

Also did you do all your sets to a high box or just the last one. It should have been all your sets. I wouldn’t use high box squats too often if you are a raw lifter. You need power out of the hole. I think that your reasoning that you will be able to increase your work load by changing box heights is flawed and if anything backwards. Using a higher box on ME day is going to let you use heavier weight, which will be more taxing on the body.

DE Squats should always be done to legal depth. Most people use a box because it will teach you to stay tighter in the hole and the pause makes it harder to get up teaching you to be more explosive.

Finding the right number of sets/reps for accessory work is going to be an individual thing and it is going to depend on the exercise. For example, I get more of doing heavy sets of 5-6 on RDLs, but I would have done sets of 10-15 on the pull-throughs too.

Typically for max effort work we do

raw squat (various bars)
geared squat (straight bar)
box squat to max (various bars and box heights)

I disagree, I think it is dependant on the lifter. To work up to 615 I do the following

bar
145xfew
255x3
345x3
435x3
525x1
615x1

I don’t like wasting time and energy on little bullshit warmups. If my body is ready, I’d rather use the energy on the big lift. But this is different for everyone from what I’ve seen.

So if both ME and DE days are done off a box,then when do you actually squat without?On ME bench day I work up to a 1rep max and then add boards.Wouldnt I do the same on squat day and add a box at the end?Or should I be doin boards the whole time?

do you mind if I ask what a hook grip for a DL is?

[quote]viking666 wrote:
So if both ME and DE days are done off a box,then when do you actually squat without?On ME bench day I work up to a 1rep max and then add boards.Wouldnt I do the same on squat day and add a box at the end?Or should I be doin boards the whole time? [/quote]

The ME work is to build the main lift (say the squat). So you’re trying to build the mucles that drive the movement. But you can’t train the movement to a max all the time without overtraining. So you need to use different exercises… that is… box squats.

You dont work up to a one rep max in your squat or bench each week. You work up to a max on a lift that will have a positive carryover to the core lift.

You could squat after your box squats on ME day. That’s what I’m doing at the moment and it seems to be working ok.

[quote]aeromom wrote:

[/quote]

Here is a pic.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
I would have done this

135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x1
485x1 (3rd Rep at 90%)

I think that you will find that the extra sets better prepare you for a big lift.

Also did you do all your sets to a high box or just the last one. It should have been all your sets. I wouldn’t use high box squats too often if you are a raw lifter. You need power out of the hole. I think that your reasoning that you will be able to increase your work load by changing box heights is flawed and if anything backwards. Using a higher box on ME day is going to let you use heavier weight, which will be more taxing on the body.

DE Squats should always be done to legal depth. Most people use a box because it will teach you to stay tighter in the hole and the pause makes it harder to get up teaching you to be more explosive.

Finding the right number of sets/reps for accessory work is going to be an individual thing and it is going to depend on the exercise. For example, I get more of doing heavy sets of 5-6 on RDLs, but I would have done sets of 10-15 on the pull-throughs too.
[/quote]

Not to be a dick, but you meant “385 x 1” not “485 x 1” right? Just wanted to avoid any confusion.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
aeromom wrote:

Here is a pic.

http://www.webefit.com/articles_100_199/ART_140_Img/HookGrip.jpg [/quote]

oh, duh, that would definitely help. thanks

Ahhh.Gotcha.Thanks for the help guys.

[quote]eic wrote:
Pemdas wrote:
I would have done this

135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x1
485x1 (3rd Rep at 90%)

Not to be a dick, but you meant “385 x 1” not “485 x 1” right? Just wanted to avoid any confusion.[/quote]

yes

[quote]viking666 wrote:
So if both ME and DE days are done off a box,then when do you actually squat without?On ME bench day I work up to a 1rep max and then add boards.Wouldnt I do the same on squat day and add a box at the end?Or should I be doin boards the whole time? [/quote]

Go read the 8 keys here by Dave Tate. Then do the 9 week program he lays out a couple times back to back. By then you should have a pretty good grasp of what you are doing and can start to work on your weak points.

Yeah,I figured it was gonna take me awhile to get it all in.Most of my time is spent on the Elite site buggin the hell outta Rhodes and Wendler anyway…lol