Exercises for Clubs?

No, I’m talking about exercises to help you pick up hot chicks at niteclubs!!!

I was actually interested in finding out more information regarding the type of exercises you can do with weighted clubs, clubbells, and the like.

I improvised a pair of lightweight clubs last night in my garage gym, using some dumbbells with weights on one end only, and despite the short length of the actual lever, my upper body felt it, and my heart rate was definitely elevated. Needless to say, it was almost as good as stability ball tricep kickbacks done in the Smith machine!

So…I’m interested in any sites, articles, videos, links and descriptions of the range of exercises that one can do with such implements. At this stage of proceedings I don’t really want to outlay the $$$ that Coach Sonnon’s material would entail (and that’s only cause I don’t have that much cash at the moment. If anyone was able to help out I would be very grateful.

Cheers
MTS

Heres a few right here at T-Nation you can read through. Its here in these article you just have to explore and sypher through these, these even a site link in one of these that has a program.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459304

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=367063

enjoy,

Dragon

you don’t need to buy special clubs, you can buy some long sledgehammers cheap and swing 'em real good.

dumbells are a bit short.

be damed careful not to hit yourself especially with the sledges

the idea is to swing them around in constant circular motions.

be careful not to let go, too

Hey, you could also buy two cheap aluminium baseball bats, drill a hole in the club (near the handle) and fill them with sand or lead shot. Then tape over the hole. The hole should be near the handle, where g-forces won’t force the sand / shot out through the hole.

The bat will have a good grip on it too, and all that.

What you are talking about are indian clubs. If you google that topic you will find it is a trend that is on the comeback. I haven’t yet bought my own pair but often use a sledge to try and mimic the movements as best I know. There are a number of instrucitonal videos and booklets out there, all of which defnitly cost money.

To get started remember that you want to keep the limbs mostly extended, make the leverage as challengng a possible. Most practicioners seem to favor fluid circular type motions. Controlled arm circles, hold your arms overhead and take them down to each side. Make a large circle in front of yourself. The activity has many of the same origins as yoga. Thus, my understanding is that you can do most yoga poses with these for added weight.

That’s probably the most I can help you for now. PM me in about 6 months when I’ve had my own set for a few months and I’ll see what else I can tells you.

Thanks for the replies fellas, the info will be put to good use. Methinks I’ll try and make some sort of home made variant for the moment and give 'em a go. I’ll spend the cash on some clubbells a little later perhaps, after I’ve had a bit of time to assess their longer-term fitness impact.

And yes, I’ll remember to hold on, and not hit myself in the head.

Now I’ve just gotta figure out how I can incorporate weighted clubs into my daily Smith Machine routine!

(Not!)

Cheers

MTS

I have a pair of clubs, about 11 1/2 lbs. each, that I made for less than $10.

Buy one of those K-mart orange whiffle ballbat (and ball) sets. I think they’re like $4. You’ll find them at any K-mart, or something similar elsewhere.

Slice an X into the bottom of the bats’ handles, and poke in the four flaps which result. Now poke a hole perpindicularly all the way through the handle of each bat, and tie in a lanyard (shoestrings work).

Buy a 25lb bag of play sand, cost about $2. Fill each bat with sand all the way to the handle, just before reaching the lanyard.

Mix up some plumbers resin, cost about $3. Fill the rest of the space in the bats, from the lanyard to the base of the handle. Shave off any overflowing resin.

There ya go, two 10-12lb clubbells, roughly the same size as Sonnon’s $100 pieces.

For a nice grip, you’ll pay more than the bats themselves! For about $5 per a bat, get yourself a tennis racket re-grip. Wrap that around the bats’ handles. Real nice finishing touch.

Enjoy!

I have gotten great results from using these are part of a compound lift!

Swing clubells into trash.
Pull trash from kitcken trash can.
Swing clubell laden trash to curb, next to bags containing “the Gazelle” “body for life” Those cheap sporting goods store platic grippers, those thigh toning belts and those cheap sand filled weights you used as a kid.

On your way back into the house, drag some of those big heavy steel things into your house. One of them should be about 7 foot long, the rest should be circular disks with holes in the center.

Read T-Nation articles for instructions on using these new iron wheel and axle looking things.

Just kidding dude. I don’t understand why there would be touch much benefit to swinging big sticks around, but I am very fond of taking a sledge out in my yard and hitting things with it. MAybe its the same principal?

Cheers fellas,

I was planning on making some home made clubs using exactly that sort of process…I love the home-made exercise equipment websites too. Alot of blokes seem to scoff at the whole club thing, but I’ve gotta say that it’s an interesting tangent to explore.

Thanks also to Mr Fife. Whaddya mean, the abdominizerthighblasterpieceof crap that I bought from the home shopping show is the shizzle baby!!!
But what are these iron discs of which you speak…they sound mysterious…

Just to clarify, the clubs are just another element in my grappling/striking toolbox. Not much carryover in terms of fight conditioning from alot of traditional free-weight work (at least in my experience and I was most likely doing it all wrong anyway). That’s where things like KB’s and the clubs come in. Gives you both the lung torture element and the muscular endurance to fight through all your rounds, not just the first one. The other part of this equation is the weight work with cleeans, deads, push presses, etc.

Oh yeah and plenty of smith machine work to burn in those cuts, man.

Cheers fellas, good on ya.

Well with the clubs you can get some kind of cardio workout going without being bored out of your nuts

Also if you have an old tire you can belt the hell out of it

you know that tennis re-grip might be nice on your barbell too

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Well with the clubs you can get some kind of cardio workout going without being bored out of your nuts

That’s exactly the appeal of them. Plus the muscular endurance and stabilizer work is a bonus.

Also if you have an old tire you can belt the hell out of it

you know that tennis re-grip might be nice on your barbell too

I’ve tried this on my DB’s and it is a very good and cheap way to thicken up the handles.

[/quote]

Thanks for the responses fellas, time to go and train now.