Exercise to Simulate Pushing a Car?

Are there any good exercises that can be done with basic gym equipment that might simulate pushing a car?

I was reading about this exercise more, and it seems like a great exercise for calves and legs and upper body.

I was thinking some form of isometric pushing against a wall, or something similar with a cable machine, but you guys might have some better methods.

You could always make your own sled and push against it in a park.
Piece of scrap metal shaped to form a sled with heavy weight put on it?

[quote]dankid wrote:
Are there any good exercises that can be done with basic gym equipment that might simulate pushing a car?

I was reading about this exercise more, and it seems like a great exercise for calves and legs and upper body.

I was thinking some form of isometric pushing against a wall, or something similar with a cable machine, but you guys might have some better methods.[/quote]

Not gonna happen, dude. If you could simulate car pushing in the gym, there would be no reason to push cars. The next best thing would be sled pushing. A good idea might be to buy a wheelbarrow, remove the supporting structures underneath, and load it up with some bags of concrete or sand from the hardware store. That would be a pretty cheap way of getting the job done. Good luck.

If i make a sled, will it tear up the grass at the park? Or is there a way to make it slide smoothly?

Why not just push a car around a parking lot? Surely you know someone with a car and can say something like “ok give me 10 minutes of your time and just sit here and brake for me.”

I used to offer my friend a beer for his troubles when I was pushing a car around during the PC.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Are there any good exercises that can be done with basic gym equipment that might simulate pushing a car?[/quote]

Well, figuring you can’t get the above device built in your yard, I’d go for barbell jerks for time. Allows moderately-heavy weights that will feel tons heavier by the end, uses a bunch of muscles, very demanding on the cardio. Start with 30-second sets and go from there, adjust the weight as appropriate (start lighter than you think you should).

I also like the wheelbarrow idea that eic mentioned. I’ve read about Waterbury (could’ve been DeFranco) using one-handed wheelbarrow walks. That’s a special kind of crazy.

Are you looking for fat loss, conditioning/endurance, what?

oh man, lol at this.

just push a wall until you can move it, once you move it you will be built.

you could apply the Dynamic Effort method by pushing a bicycle or motorcycle if you are advanced for sets of 3-6 seconds as hard as you can.

I have an old 525i i push around the neighborhood. Got some strange looks, and some very very rude comments and gestures. I did get flashed once though.

I don’t think a sled would work very well outside. Tire flips would be something close I guess.

[quote]MikiB wrote: I did get flashed once though.
[/quote]

KK that settles it, i’ll be pushing my car.

No particular reason i want to do these, just some GPP.

[quote]dankid wrote:
If i make a sled, will it tear up the grass at the park? Or is there a way to make it slide smoothly?[/quote]

Remove all of the structure at the bottom. Basically you should have the smooth bottom of the carraige area. Problem with some designs is the handles are attached to the wheels supports

The wall push actually works amazingly for strength. It’s hard to push yourself though because after a few weeks, you think your giving it all but your not.

You could probaly mix that up with a complete corner press using your legs and upperbody as well as a lunge. It would take all 3 to come close which is why its easier just to pushe the damn car.

The other thing that makes the car push so tough is…IT’S HEAVY!!!. No building up to heavy weights on this one, you start off with it. You also move it anyway you can. Theres no asshole screamin “make sure you use full range of motion” on this exercise. As you get stronger you may start to go lower to get a better push, you also go full speed because if you slow down you’ll stop. Apply all those theories to lifting weights and you may not need to pushe a car.

Try pulling it instead.

Hah, it’s a bitch.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Why not just push a car around a parking lot? Surely you know someone with a car and can say something like “ok give me 10 minutes of your time and just sit here and brake for me.”

I used to offer my friend a beer for his troubles when I was pushing a car around during the PC.[/quote]

Just make sure it’s not someone with a sense of humor. So that when you are going all out and they decided to slam on the breaks. And if this is the case, remember not to push with your face.

If you’ve got money to burn:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1006

Load a bag with as much weight as it can hold. wrap ur hands around it. sprint as fast as u can while maintaining upright posture.watch ur back,shoulders and quads grow.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Try pulling it instead.

Hah, it’s a bitch. [/quote]

The car or the wall?? :wink:

[quote]MikiB wrote:
I don’t think a sled would work very well outside.[/quote]

I must be missing something here. Did you mean “inside”?

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

I used to offer my friend a beer for his troubles when I was pushing a car around during the PC.

Just make sure it’s not someone with a sense of humor. So that when you are going all out and they decided to slam on the breaks. And if this is the case, remember not to push with your face.[/quote]

or someone who doesn’t pay attention. I was pushing a small car up a hill to make it harder, which I’ve done many a time without a problem. Well one day the person behind the wheel wasn’t paying attention and I couldn’t get it to the top.

Well it was stopped dead on the hill and I thought they would hit the brakes, but nope! I stepped to the side and let it roll down the hill a few feet before they realized they should hit the brakes.