Exercise To Keep Fat Down?

Hello. This has wondered me: why do people tell you to run in order to keep the fat in check?
If you need 4000 kcal a day, and burn 50 kcal on the running, you will just have to eat 50 more kcal. Doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose? (i know almost all people probably can’t keep such a precise kcal-intake, but that’s not the point)

And if you’re cutting, wouldn’t it be easier to just eat a spoon less oatmeal instead of running 15 minutes? Also as far as I know, the body will break down muscle tissue too, under long constant exercise to get energy
Please don’t flame ^^

Look up g-flux and some of Berardi’s work. I remember there was one really good article that I am pretty sure was on g-flux where there is a good explanation about the flaws in your thinking.

It isn’t a bad question, intuitively it makes sense at first that cals you take in minus the cals you expend would equal your change in mass.

Eating 50kcals less won’t increase your metabolism.

In fact, eating that 50 “extra” kcals will increase your metabolism via digestion. Add the cardio and voila! Your metabolism has increased dramatically. That’s where you burn more fat.

Eating less burns nothing.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Eating 50kcals less won’t increase your metabolism.

In fact, eating that 50 “extra” kcals will increase your metabolism via digestion. Add the cardio and voila! Your metabolism has increased dramatically. That’s where you burn more fat.

Eating less burns nothing.[/quote]

But you won’t lose weight, if you keep in a kcal-surplus all day long? And you will loose equally as much weight, if you eat 2000 kcal (and need 2500) or if you eat 2200 (and need 2700, because of increased metabolism), right?

I have heard about that g-flux and read a little about it, but I am still kinda lost. Will try to find that article.

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:

But you won’t lose weight, if you keep in a kcal-surplus all day long?[/quote] Correct, you will not lose weight while in a caloric surplus. {quote] And you will loose equally as much weight, if you eat 2000 kcal (and need 2500) or if you eat 2200 (and need 2700, because of increased metabolism), right?[/quote]

No. You will increase your metabolism by eating more protein and veggies or doing cardio or both. Just cutting calories will not raise your metabolism.

Cutting calories will also allow you to lose muscle. Is that what you want?

If you want to lose fat, keep eating protein and reduce your carbohydrate consumption to first thing in the morning and / or post workout. Re-feed on carbs every four days. Eat a lot of veggies. All the time. And do some cardio.