Exercise Suggestions With Little Weight

Height: 5’8
Weight: 175lb

I’m currently living with my girlfriend and haven’t had the money to attend a gym. I work two part-time jobs trying to make money to live on/save for school with.

However, at Christmas my girlfriend gave me a bench with a curl bar (ugh… she tries :D) and two 25 plates. She wanted to get more but couldn’t afford it.

Basically, until we move into our new place in a month or two I don’t have anywhere to set up the bench. But… I figure that I can still do some olympic lifts with the curl bar + 2x25lb. Additionally, I do have some… some… adjustable dumbbells (50lbs in total) that could be put to use.

Anyway, I’m basically looking for a program I could start to build strength with just a bar and some weights. I will be purchasing more plates in the coming weeks, however.

Thanks!

Well some ideas:

1. Like you said start doing some oly lifts with the bar

2. With the Dbell you can do Snatches, Cleans, Clean and Press, Swings

3. If you can afford it buy a pull up bar
    (this is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00091RXN2/qid=1128475289/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-9535764-7760905?_encoding=UTF8&n=3408271&s=sporting-goods&v=glance)
    its cheap and doesn’t punch holes in the door)

4. Try doing some advanced bodywieght excersises: Pistols, one arm pushups, headstand pushups. That sort of thing

5. Finally build your self a heavy sandbag. Almost any excersise you can do with a barbell you can do with a sandbag (although it won’t be excatly the same)
    I built my sandbag bag for around $20 and it weighs about 120lb

Hope that helps

Here’s two more ideas:

Do things like split squats or lunges where you would necessarily be using lesser weight. If it gets too easy, add an isometric hold.

There was a thread yesterday that linked to a training video of MMA fighter Randy Couture. Basically an extended complex. Eight reps of military press to eight reps of stiff-leg deadlift to eight reps of hang clean to eight reps of front squat…

Oh, and don’t forget the all-important mattress cardio :wink:

Excellent suggestions, thank you very much.

I’m definitely going to try this sandbag idea. :slight_smile:

Get some strongman work in tooo… just bust my ass doing whatever. :slight_smile:

theres alot of things you can do…you may also want to do alot of pushups and dips as those dont require anything special, and put a pullup bar in one of your doors (very inexpensive)…you can also but some pretty cheap olympic plates at garage sales (thats where i found mine for days i cant make it to the gym…just keep your eyes peeled), and sports athority has alot of sales…