Exercise Science?

I’m a sophmore at Ohio State and I want to get into personal training and maybe more advanced type training like some of the authors here.

Is majoring in Exercise Science the right path to take?

I ask here since I know some of you are personal trainers, but I want to take it further than that, or at least be very good at what I do.

Thanks,
Shane

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
I’m a sophmore at Ohio State and I want to get into personal training and maybe more advanced type training like some of the authors here.

Is majoring in Exercise Science the right path to take?

I ask here since I know some of you are personal trainers, but I want to take it further than that, or at least be very good at what I do.

Thanks,
Shane[/quote]

I would be cautious in entering the field of PT. Low pay and very very long hours. It is very tough to get a good job as a PT and when you find one you realize eventually that you can only handle the workload for a couple of years before you burn out or move into a managment position at a gym.(which may have better hours)

If you go into the research side of exercise science you definetely won’t make any money and you have to get your Phd and write tons of grants to even make end meat, unless you end up teaching.

Every once and a while you can do well like some of the authors on this site. But I have to tell you that is far and few inbetween.

If I had to do it over again I would have gone into computer science. You can get a job anywhere in the world in the field and make very good money. Plus have the resources to actually have a descent living.

If you are die hard gym rat, training is probably for you. But if not I would go another road.

Just my two cents.

I should add one more thing.

The one light at the end of the tunnel if your a trainer is you MUST look the part to do well in this industry. There is no half ass go at it. People want to be around beautiful muscular people and they will pay a lot for it. Either start becoming an expert at something now, powerlifting, bodybuilding,boxing or don’t bother making a career out of it because you will fail.

You must also be excellent at customer service and making people NOT feel stupid. A lot of people are extremely nervous about gym settings. Be carefull not to scare them away.

I would also stay away from most major gyms if you wanted to train. Golds, Bally’s, etc. Those places will rape you as a trainer. Smaller studios seem to pay more and have better streams of clients.

hey shane i am in the same boat as u man. im trying to get into the health science/ exercise science too but i am not sure what to branch off to. im interested to see what everybody says on here.

beachboi