T Nation

Exercise for My Wife (Backache + Hernia)

Hi all, my wife has had a Hernia op, about 4 months ago. She's recovered well, however, she's getting backache. She can't lie on her front because it hurts. Can anyone suggest an excercise to strengthen her back? Or, should she ask her Doc, who she'd rather not see because she's had enough of seeing medical people, (no offense), with having C-section, (her third),last year?

She's getting pain in one of her buttocks, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it, because I had the same thing years ago. I used to lie flat on the fllor on my front, and lift myself up on my hands/arms, don't know the name. Basicaly arching the back backwards.
She works as a Care assistant, so you can guess whats involved.

Thanks

Mike:)

Happy Lifting

A McKenzie extension press-up. Being a McKenzie trained guy, I’m biased towards finding a McKenzie practitioner from http://mckenziemdt.org/

Her hernia repair should be well healed at four months and should not be a factor. Shooting pain in one buttock suggests lumbar disc herniation or disc protrusion. Have it evaluated by a neurosurgeon or orthopedist.

Her hernia repair should be well healed at four months and should not be a factor. Shooting pain in one buttock suggests lumbar disc herniation or disc protrusion. Have it evaluated by a neurosurgeon or orthopedist.

An update, an extra hour in bed has given relief. But this not the first time this has happened. She insists she won’t see anyone. Doh! I’ll have to see what happens next time. Bound to happen again.

Thanks Guys.

Regards Mike

I sometimes have similar issue due to my spondy. When that area (L5/S1) gets inflamed, it presses on the nerve and causes discomfort into the buttock and can, if really inflamed, shoot down into the leg. When mild, it is more of an ache in the buttock. When more severe, it is sharp and shooting.

I sometimes have similar issue due to my spondy. When that area (L5/S1) gets inflamed, it presses on the nerve and causes discomfort into the buttock and can, if really inflamed, shoot down into the leg. When mild, it is more of an ache in the buttock. When more severe, it is sharp and shooting.

LittleStrick, thats spot on Sir. Anti-inflamatory drugs is what I used to use, I can just about get her to take a Paracetamol for it. She don’t do medicine either! Will need something Natural then!

Thanks Sir :slight_smile:

Regards Mike

PS I take it I need to “Quote”