Exercise Deficit Disorder

I recently saw this term for the first time in a newsletter from ACSM. It is being used to describe children who experience very little physical activity. I understand the need to describe the problem as it relates to the obesity issues here in the US, but calling it a disorder is a joke.

Fat, irresponsible adults can now point the finger of blame on their parents and/or this so-called disorder. I am certainly not surprised, but this represents another sad step away from encouraging people to be self-reliant and accountable where their health is concerned.

I can see the term being useful for research purposes, but our misguided medical community will allow the excuse-seeking populace to adopt it all too quickly.

Thoughts?

I don’t care.

Why do you?

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I don’t care.

Why do you?[/quote]

Count, I have to ask. You don’t care much about anything lately. Are you sick? Not getting enough blood or something.

I mean usually you’re ready to maim, destroy and FST7 things to death, and now you just don’t care. Don’t want to get personal or anything…

[quote]Cuso wrote:

I don’t care.

Why do you?[/quote]

Count, I have to ask. You don’t care much about anything lately. Are you sick? Not getting enough blood or something.

I mean usually you’re ready to maim, destroy and FST7 things to death, and now you just don’t care. Don’t want to get personal or anything…[/quote]

Caring Caring Carying

What’s the point?

Caring…

[quote]Cuso wrote:

I don’t care.

Why do you?[/quote]

I mean usually you’re ready to maim, destroy and FST7 things to death, and now you just don’t care. Don’t want to get personal or anything…[/quote]

Caring Caring Carying

What’s the point?

Caring…[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

I don’t care.

Why do you?[/quote]

Caring Caring Carying

What’s the point?

Caring…[/quote]
[/quote]

Eh

Who cares?

I think it takes very little physical activity to keep young kids (under 13) fit and healthy.

I bet if you looked at how many minutes per day I did walking/running/biking when I was ages 5 to 12 it would be on average not a helluva lot more than many kids today…but it adds up over time.

Same with the food. Kids have loved candy, chips and pop forever…but when I was growing up we only had cans for personal consumption of pop. You finished a can and you were done. Now there are liter bottles intended for one person!

So that adds up too.

So basically I’m saying it’s not like we were “walking 10 miles to get to school and we loved vegetables!” but that we did a little more exercise (or compared to some of these kids a LOT more) and ate a little less ( again in some cases a LOT less) food than kids today.

Life in general has gotten good, to the point where everything is convenient and/or automated.

Believe it or not, for most people, the gym is a replacement of shit that used to happen in real life, even 50 years ago. People didn’t actually need to exercise because life itself was demanding!

As a poor kid growing up, I had to bike everywhere, do everything for myself, fold my own shit, clean my own room, go to the movie store (by foot or bike) to rent something, food was simple because there was no $$$ for elaborate stuff like cupcakes so it was basically chicken/veg 6 days out of 7, and a fruit here and there, usually cheap stuff like bananas and tomatoes.

-No manual labor jobs
-Kids growing up in suburbs, not on farms
-Car to go everywhere
-Less trips/movement needed due to stuff like Netflix
-Cheaper but lower quality food
-Hobbies like “walking along the river” for entertainment replaced with Xbox
-Going to SEE friends instead of FB Chat, Gtalk, etc.

I love all the lazy shit like TV, Xbox, etc., but sometimes I seriously find myself doing something like mopping or scrubbing my floor or just walking to the grocery store to do SOMETHING physical each day.

Americans, let’s face it: We’ve been a spoiled country for a long time.
Do you know what the number one health risk in America is?
OBESITY. They say we’re in the middle of an obesity epidemic.
AN EPIDEMIC… like it is polio. Like we’ll be telling our grand kids about it one day.
The Great Obesity Epidemic of 2004.
“How’d you get through it grandpa?”
“Oh, it was horrible Johnny, there was cheesecake and pork chops everywhere.”

“Underwear Goes Inside the Pants” – LAZYBOY

[quote]Samir wrote:
Life in general has gotten good, to the point where everything is convenient and/or automated.

Believe it or not, for most people, the gym is a replacement of shit that used to happen in real life, even 50 years ago. People didn’t actually need to exercise because life itself was demanding!

As a poor kid growing up, I had to bike everywhere, do everything for myself, fold my own shit, clean my own room, go to the movie store (by foot or bike) to rent something, food was simple because there was no $$$ for elaborate stuff like cupcakes so it was basically chicken/veg 6 days out of 7, and a fruit here and there, usually cheap stuff like bananas and tomatoes.

-No manual labor jobs
-Kids growing up in suburbs, not on farms
-Car to go everywhere
-Less trips/movement needed due to stuff like Netflix
-Cheaper but lower quality food
-Hobbies like “walking along the river” for entertainment replaced with Xbox
-Going to SEE friends instead of FB Chat, Gtalk, etc.

I love all the lazy shit like TV, Xbox, etc., but sometimes I seriously find myself doing something like mopping or scrubbing my floor or just walking to the grocery store to do SOMETHING physical each day.[/quote]

Well said. I believe enough Sci-Fi authors wrote about and accurately predicted exactly where we stand today. Sophisticated electronics entertain us to the point were we have to find “busy work” just to get out of the TV chairs. I love washing my old beat up car for therapy.

Another thing that I personally have missed is writing. I’ve posted way too much here just because I’ve physically missed writing, and of course to communicate in my mother tongue. Picking up the phone and chatting with someone can keep you in touch, but how often do you really say something meaningful to someone on the phone? Writing a letter has become a dying art.

The future generation anno 2030 will become lazier, fatter and stupider than we can imagine today, and they’ll all be calling it progress.

Wall-E knows what’s up

[quote]BossKean wrote:
I recently saw this term for the first time in a newsletter from ACSM. It is being used to describe children who experience very little physical activity. I understand the need to describe the problem as it relates to the obesity issues here in the US, but calling it a disorder is a joke.

Fat, irresponsible adults can now point the finger of blame on their parents and/or this so-called disorder. I am certainly not surprised, but this represents another sad step away from encouraging people to be self-reliant and accountable where their health is concerned.

I can see the term being useful for research purposes, but our misguided medical community will allow the excuse-seeking populace to adopt it all too quickly.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I found this thread as I was searching for articles for my master’s thesis and felt I should comment on this, since it’s a farfetched explanation of the research articles describing “exercise deficit disorder”. Exercise deficit disorder (EDD) is a term used to describe a condition characterized by reduced levels of moderate to vigorous physical activity (MVPA) that are inconsistent with long-term health and well-being (Faigenbaum & Myer, 2012). The research articles that you’re referring to are merely stating that EDD should be a diagnosable condition by the doctor, in which the doctor can essentially prescribe physical activity (including specific types of activity and exercise) for children. They recommend a systematic way for identifying subclinical and clinical symptoms and treating children with EDD. The only way to “treat” physical inactivity is through prevention, rather than medication or treatment, and in the researchers’ eyes, diagnosis and prescription of physical activity (just as they would for diet recommendations, for example) may increase children’s activity levels. Earlier treatment = improved health. Activity level, as well as sedentary behavior (though independently), are both related to overall health and well-being in adolescence and adulthood.

Cited:
Faigenbaum A, Myer G. Exercise deficit disorder in youth: play now or pay later. Current Sports Med Reports 2012, In press.

All I know is that every time one of these old threads pop up and I see something that Count Rockula posted I immediately think he has returned and I get excited and start jerking off.

Then I see the post date and realize it’s a year-old thread and he’s still gone and I become sad and wallow in a puddle of my own urine.

Does that happen to anyone else?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Does that happen to anyone else?[/quote]

OMG ME!!!

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
All I know is that every time one of these old threads pop up and I see something that Count Rockula posted I immediately think he has returned and I get excited and start jerking off.

Then I see the post date and realize it’s a year-old thread and he’s still gone and I become sad and wallow in a puddle of my own urine.[/quote]

I did the exact same thing

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Does that happen to anyone else?[/quote]
He didnt leave

I wonder how long it will be before we have an: Over-zealous-reactionary-pharmaceutical-profiteering-excuse-enabling-disorder-creating-disorder! identified & hopefully, medicication to treat it which will hopefully make a paradoxical black-hole the size of Texas which will in turn swallow up such the whole culture of such ludicrous, pseudo-medical labelism.

Of course, even if that did happen they’d probably just subsitute the term ‘disorder’ with ‘sydrome’ & the whole merry go round of madness would start all over again.