Exercise Addiction to Weightlifting/Getting Big

There are times when I think training and working out occupy too much of my brain but overall I believe I am healthier and happier for having this hobby. I am an obsessive/compulsive person and I have difficulty not going overboard when I take things on but exercise has these awesome physical limitations that keep me reigned in. I have accepted that I have these personality flaws so I try to work with them instead of fighting it.

I do know people who have had accusations of exercise addiction and anorexia because they like to run by family and friends but in any of those instances I never felt it was valid. It was always more of an attack then caring and constructive criticism from family members who didn’t like either the time being taken away from them or the person’s self-improvement was threatening. I have actually had a family member whisper that I have an eating disorder because once when I visited I didn’t eat breakfast. Even though I go through her daily weekly intake in a day and a half :stuck_out_tongue:

I also know some people have been quick to throw around the word addiction when it comes to video games too and that was usually more of a disapproval of the activity by the complainer then the person having an addiction.

[quote]TrueLifeonMTV wrote:
But that’s also why we need help casting this show, as we want to show what REALLY goes on, and not present a stereotypical “meat head” and call him/her an exercise addict.
[/quote]

Maybe y’all could address the hypocrisy (judgment free?)and stereotyping in Planet Fitness commercials.

But that’s also why we need help casting this show, as we want to show what REALLY goes on, and not present a stereotypical “meat head” and call him/her an exercise addict.

[/quote]

Are you working in conjunction with any MHMR or addiction treatment facilities? They may be better suited to guide you toward actual cases than peoples own self evaluated, and honest enough, but sometimes flawed ideas on what constitutes an actual addiction.

Between drama queens seeking attention and the patent dishonesty that true addicts are capable of, you may have a hard time finding qualified participants.

<------------------------------[quote] stereotypical “meat head” [/quote]

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe y’all could address the hypocrisy (judgment free?)and stereotyping in Planet Fitness commercials.

x2

This is really great information and backs up what I’ve been hearing from health professionals as well. There is absolutely a difference between dedication, obsession and addiction, and the difference is usually in amount of negative ramifications.

What we definitely want to make sure to do with this show (and it’s in production, it will air, lol) is show true addiction. Lots of people have written in to us saying “I miss a day or two at the gym and I feel like a slob, rofl.” That’s not an addiction. An addiction is missing the birth of your first child because you have to get a run in. Addiction is the pursuit or dependancy of anything that is destructive to your life and we want to make sure that’s what is shown on the show, and not “OMG, I totally can’t go a day without my eliptical.”

I/We make no assumptions about bodybuilders being unhealthy or personally destructive, and that’s one of the reasons I wanted to post and ask if its actually a real thing in this community.

I understand there is a medical definition of “Bigorexia” and so I understand it must have some basis in truth, but accept that its exceedingly rare.

Truth is usually more entertaining than fiction anyway. Keep writing, this is really helpful for us! Thanks![/quote]
No…this is not TRUE life and it’s not what REALLY goes on. It’s picking out .0001% of the training community and giving them some air time for the sake of cheap entertainment perpetuating the already-negative stereotypes that surround the bodybuilding/powerlifting/athletics communities. Thanks to shows like this, we are left having to be the ones to defend OUR lifestyle–the ones dedicated to looking and feeling great and performing well–because people have seeds in the back of their mind now that, “hey, since I and everyone I know sits on our ass and is okay with putting on the chub, THESE guys MUST be unhealthy…I saw it on TV!”

Shock and awe, my friend…not true life. Cunning choice of rhetoric, though, to try to convince us otherwise. =)

edit.

nm, should have read the rest of the posts after the first one.

I think youre looking for people who suffer from body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and turn to the gym to ‘satisfy’ their personal image requirements. It would be along the same lines as anorexia. It definitely exists. The problem is that people who suffer from it dont acknowledge it. They believe their behavior is normal, regardless of how destructive it may be.

If I remember correctly, MTV had a show a few years ago about guys who were ‘addicted’ to using anabolic steroids. This is essentially the same thing, in my opinion.

I think in order to determine whether or not someone is “addicted” to the gym, you should not look at what they do in the gym, but what they do outside of the gym.

Does the person take care of their responsibilities to work, family, school, mental health, etc? Also, what happens if he/she is put in a scenario that does not permit them to train? How do they respond?

I think the answers to these questions will lead you to the right conclusions.

There are many high level athletes that put VAST amounts of time, energy, and finances into their sports and still maintain healthy relationships. I think you get my drift…

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

This is really great information and backs up what I’ve been hearing from health professionals as well. There is absolutely a difference between dedication, obsession and addiction, and the difference is usually in amount of negative ramifications.

What we definitely want to make sure to do with this show (and it’s in production, it will air, lol) is show true addiction. Lots of people have written in to us saying “I miss a day or two at the gym and I feel like a slob, rofl.” That’s not an addiction. An addiction is missing the birth of your first child because you have to get a run in. Addiction is the pursuit or dependancy of anything that is destructive to your life and we want to make sure that’s what is shown on the show, and not “OMG, I totally can’t go a day without my eliptical.”

I/We make no assumptions about bodybuilders being unhealthy or personally destructive, and that’s one of the reasons I wanted to post and ask if its actually a real thing in this community.

I understand there is a medical definition of “Bigorexia” and so I understand it must have some basis in truth, but accept that its exceedingly rare.

Truth is usually more entertaining than fiction anyway. Keep writing, this is really helpful for us! Thanks![/quote]
No…this is not TRUE life and it’s not what REALLY goes on. It’s picking out .0001% of the training community and giving them some air time for the sake of cheap entertainment perpetuating the already-negative stereotypes that surround the bodybuilding/powerlifting/athletics communities. Thanks to shows like this, we are left having to be the ones to defend OUR lifestyle–the ones dedicated to looking and feeling great and performing well–because people have seeds in the back of their mind now that, “hey, since I and everyone I know sits on our ass and is okay with putting on the chub, THESE guys MUST be unhealthy…I saw it on TV!”

Shock and awe, my friend…not true life. Cunning choice of rhetoric, though, to try to convince us otherwise. =) [/quote]

I wonder if they are going to shove the bodybuilders in after the foot-fetish chick, the paranormal chick, or the albino.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/truelife/series.jhtml

It always amazes me how many people will volunteer to help MTV [or insert Jerry Springer or any other crap product] make shit loads of money by making the volunteer look like a circus freak. But hey, its a free country, volunteer away people.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Shock and awe, my friend…not true life. Cunning choice of rhetoric, though, to try to convince us otherwise. =) [/quote]

“I am a solemn monk in the TEMPLE OF IRON! My will does not bend like these weight laden bars. My resolve does not shake like the floor when I dead lift. I read animal pak add copy any cry tears of steel. I am not a just a tool. I Am The Whole Fucking Shed!”

Learn it, live it, love it.

Um so yes…

I usually get really bad anxiety right before my deload week because it seems mentally impossible for me to cope with being a slacker in the gym. Usually last minute before I go in for a “light workout” I change my mind, skip my deload all together, and start the begining of my next cycle without taking any break. I think it’s mainly because I am addicted to the whole post workout high, and oppritunity to set a PR etc etc…

Also, another example of my mentalness:
I usually think about bench pressing every day, maybe every few hours. Typically like OMFG I CAN’T WAIT TO BENCHHHH and sometimes my shoulder joints feel sorta outta place, (well all my joints do really, I can pop everything around all the time), but last week my shoulder felt slightly out of place and I could not for the life of me pop it back in. All I could think about was how this may or may not affect my next bench press workout, WHICH techinally wouldn’t have been for like a weeek IFFFFFFF i deloaed properly. Anyway, I got like no sleep because all I could do was try and pop my should back into place and I ended up making it 100000x’s worse. It bascially to the point where I couldn’t even move my arm, whereas before it was just mainly in my head that something was even wrong with it. But yeah, it hurts, probably a good thing though becuse now I physically have to deload since I can’t really move my arm.
Not to worry though, doc said it was just really inflamed, (and I should have probably just gone to a shrink)

Story time over.

I was thinking more about this while I was in the shower. How do you think a true champion would respond to setback?

A true champion will look at the big picture rather than go by impulse and emotion (because afterall, addiction is impulse driven). For instance, if a powerlifter gets in a car wreck and has serious injury that keps him from lifting, he may be bummed and stir crazy, but he will take the away from the gym to get better, spend time with family, be greatful for what he has, etc, and then when he is better, he will lift. Or if he injures a muscle lifting, he will work around it. The point being, a champion, a healthy individual will look at things logically and overcome. An addict, will be consumed by it and fall into greater emotional distress.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Um so yes…

I usually get really bad anxiety right before my deload week because it seems mentally impossible for me to cope with being a slacker in the gym. Usually last minute before I go in for a “light workout” I change my mind, skip my deload all together, and start the begining of my next cycle without taking any break. I think it’s mainly because I am addicted to the whole post workout high, and oppritunity to set a PR etc etc…

I usually think about bench pressing every day, maybe every few hours. Typically like OMFG I CAN’T WAIT TO BENCHHHH and sometimes my shoulder joints feel sorta outta place, (well all my joints do really, I can pop everything around all the time), but last week my shoulder felt slightly out of place and I could not for the life of me pop it back in. All I could think about was how this may or may not affect my next bench press workout, WHICH techinally wouldn’t have been for like a weeek IFFFFFFF i deloaed properly. Anyway, I got like no sleep because all I could do was try and pop my should back into place and I ended up making it 100000x’s worse. It bascially to the point where I couldn’t even move my arm, whereas before it was just mainly in my head that something was even wrong with it. But yeah, it hurts, probably a good thing though becuse now I physically have to deload since I can’t really move my arm.
Not to worry though, doc said it was just really inflamed, (and I should have probably just gone to a shrink)

Story time over. [/quote]

I cant tell if this post is serious

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
I’ve read that one bodybuilder would take a microwave everywhere he traveled in case his hotel didn’t have one. I call that obsessed or being a great boy scout.[/quote]

hhhmmmmm Pro Athlete, He will always have hot food. Becuase anyone will tell you HOT Chicken and Brown rice Will always beat cold chicken and brown rice. Sounds smart to me.[/quote]

Gross…chicken and rice…plain? Even worse, my “nutritionist” cooked me a chicken breast and brown rice once…I didn’t pay him, if all it takes is frying up a dry chicken breast and plain rice I would rather not pay you.

However, I know there is better stuff than just boring chicken and rice.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
edit.

nm, should have read the rest of the posts after the first one.

I think youre looking for people who suffer from body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and turn to the gym to ‘satisfy’ their personal image requirements. It would be along the same lines as anorexia. It definitely exists. The problem is that people who suffer from it dont acknowledge it. They believe their behavior is normal, regardless of how destructive it may be.

If I remember correctly, MTV had a show a few years ago about guys who were ‘addicted’ to using anabolic steroids. This is essentially the same thing, in my opinion.

[/quote]

BDD sounds like what that ginger from the Partridge family had.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Um so yes…

For someone that has a name of Spock and has Spock as his avatar, you’re an emotional bitch.

BDD is a real disorder, “bigorexia” is not. Bigorexia is a marketable label made for anyone who shows above average dedication to their work in the gym.

Its the same small mentality that causes people to instantly assume steroid use whenever someone has a moderately muscular physique. Since it is something they don’t have, they assume its ill gotten gain. You couldn’t possibly be larger than most normal people without steroid use and/or an “addiction” to lifting weight.

Even IF and that’s a big “IF” bigorexia was real, it wouldn’t be an addiction to weight lifting. Arnold said it best “weight lifting is a means to an end.” Bodybuilders lift weights to get big. They eat massive amounts of food to get big. Sometimes they use steroids to get big. Getting big is the point. If you got big by planting trees, and singing cumbaya around a campfire, we’d plant trees and sing songs.

I understand this isn’t the case all the time, in fact most times its quite the opposite. Even in my own experience, I started lifting weights with no intention of putting on size, I just wanted to get strong. Eventually though, when you finally figure things out, and you start putting on size, then you start thinking about bodybuilding, and size becomes a goal, instead of a byproduct.

Its like the chicken and the egg argument, its all in how you take it.

[quote]Hyena wrote:
BDD is a real disorder, “bigorexia” is not. Bigorexia is a marketable label made for anyone who shows above average dedication to their work in the gym.

[/quote]

Bigorexia is a colloquial term to specifically describe a version of BDD. Your definition of it is wrong.

There are people who are 230lbs in single digit bodyfat and see themselves as small. Actually SMALL, not just people who think they have room to improve. It’s the exact opposite of anorexia, it exists.

Id guess all pro bodybuilders (for arguments sake) know they are very big. They may still want to get bigger, but they recognize they are far above the norm in muscle mass; this would not fall in to BDD.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Um so yes…

For someone that has a name of Spock and has Spock as his avatar, you’re an emotional bitch.[/quote]

haha, well, I am a woman so, if the shoe fits.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Um so yes…

For someone that has a name of Spock and has Spock as his avatar, you’re an emotional bitch.[/quote]

haha, well, I am a woman so, if the shoe fits.[/quote]