Executors Want Me to Sign "Something"

I’m just trying to read the executor’s of my father’s estate minds, half siblings much older than I. I’m out of the country so I have not been dealing with them, nor do I want to. But they left a message with my mother saying they need me to sign “something” in order for them to sell the house. My father’s will says they have the power to sell, invest, etc, so I don’t know why they need me.

I’m not sure if they are handling things correctly, and I certainly don’t want to sign anything where I become partly responsible for anything. I already made that mistake with the funeral payments, which they were no help with, that I paid off, but that’s another story. I don’t trust their ability to really understand their role as executors and what needs to be done, and done correctly.

I’m just wondering if I actually do need to sign something in order for them to sell the house? From all that I’ve been reading, I don’t think I do. But maybe I’m missing something?

Sometimes it is easier to talk to people, otherwise you’re just leaving yourself out of a very important process.

Ask them to send you a copy of what they need you to sign and find yourself a lawyer who will take an hour or two to explain the docs you have in front of you.

1 Like

This is what you need to do.[quote=“Dr_Pangloss, post:3, topic:214363, full:true”]
Ask them to send you a copy of what they need you to sign and find yourself a lawyer who will take an hour or two to explain the docs you have in front of you.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your dad.

They can sell the house without you but as a child, you could always make a claim on that house once the terms of the sale have been agreed to (called a caveat) - or even after it’s sold.

The something is very likely getting you to state that you don’t have a claim (or give up your claim) on the title.

Get a lawyer, as this could be very different to how things work in your part of the word, to go through it with you (though without a lawyer, you could potentially argue you were coerced into signing during a tough time in your life).

Thanks for the replies everyone.

tsantos, that’s what I was thinking after I wrote this.

I do have a lawyer over in the same country that helped me with the funeral stuff, who said he’s more than willing to look at it. And he was involved in the whole ordeal I went through with the family, so he knows how they think or not think, already. I think he’s more suspicious of them than even I am, but I guess that’s how lawyers have to think anyway.