T Nation

Excuses

Im sick of hearing them. Everyone has them, myself included. Im tired of seeing people try to justify mediocrity with:

"I could be doing this, but…

…I had an injury…
…I have bad genetics…
…good food doesnt fit in my budget…
…I dont have time…
…I only care about meeting my weight class now."

Its all bullshit. If you are weak, it is because you havent done what it takes to be strong. If you are small, its because you havent done what it takes to be big. Not because of this or because of that, because of YOU. If you have been training for any significant amount of time and havent gotten significantly stronger, you know whose fault it is? Thats right, its not your injuries or you budgets or your girlfriends fault. Its YOUR fault.

I understand the desire to push the blame off onto something or someone else. It makes sense. If you have been training for five years and dont look like you lift, thats fucking embarrassing. I wouldnt want to take credit for fucking up that badly either. Maybe instead of having to tell people that you lift and then quickly explain to them why you dont look like it…why dont you get your ass in gear and make it so you dont have to tell people anymore?

Lets try and man up here people.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Im sick of hearing them. Everyone has them, myself included. Im tired of seeing people try to justify mediocrity with:

"I could be doing this, but…

…I had an injury…
…I have bad genetics…
…good food doesnt fit in my budget…
…I dont have time…
…I only care about meeting my weight class now."

Its all bullshit. If you are weak, it is because you havent done what it takes to be strong. If you are small, its because you havent done what it takes to be big. Not because of this or because of that, because of YOU. If you have been training for any significant amount of time and havent gotten significantly stronger, you know whose fault it is? Thats right, its not your injuries or you budgets or your girlfriends fault. Its YOUR fault.

I understand the desire to push the blame off onto something or someone else. It makes sense. If you have been training for five years and dont look like you lift, thats fucking embarrassing. I wouldnt want to take credit for fucking up that badly either. Maybe instead of having to tell people that you lift and then quickly explain to them why you dont look like it…why dont you get your ass in gear and make it so you dont have to tell people anymore?

Lets try and man up here people.
[/quote]

But…I hurt my shoulder and big muscles aren’t functional and I think being able to do a triathelon while rolling down the course on a bosu ball also qualifies as “bodybuilding”!

I have a friend that said he “tried” bulking, but he said he gained like 2 lbs in 2 months and that since he can’t get any bigger, he is just focusing on getting ripped. He’s ripped, but he has about as much muscle mass as an 8-year-old girl. I always joke around with him about it.

But seriously, who the hell works out for 5 years and people can’t tell that he works out?

Good post! If you find yourselves making excuses then you just don’t have the passion for the gym. I have to force myself not to go to the gym on rest days I’d be there 24/7 pounding the weights if I didn’t have to eat and sleep. lol Other than that, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, till death do us part I’m there! lol

Gerdy

Prof-

This isn’t really related to the topic but I just noticed your post count broke 19000. All I gotta say is “wow”. You have put a lot of time into this site and I hope you know it hasn’t gone unappreciated. I have benefited from your input as I am sure many others have as well.

Thank you.

[quote]drummerofgod89 wrote:

But seriously, who the hell works out for 5 years and people can’t tell that he works out?[/quote]

Shit, by the looks of things, many of the people on this site. I honestly think those who have made progress that is visably noticeable to others who are also regular weight lifters are few in number.

Impressing the sedentary people at work who think 15" arms are huge isn’t what I’m talking about either.

[quote]ajweins wrote:
Prof-

This isn’t really related to the topic but I just noticed your post count broke 19000. All I gotta say is “wow”. You have put a lot of time into this site and I hope you know it hasn’t gone unappreciated. I have benefited from your input as I am sure many others have as well.

Thank you.[/quote]

I’ve been here since before 2000 even though it states differently in my profile. That is also why. The only others here that long are people like Mufasa or Nate Dawg.

[quote]ajweins wrote:
Prof-

… You have put a lot of time into this site and I hope you know it hasn’t gone unappreciated. I have benefited from your input as I am sure many others have as well.

Thank you.[/quote]

What he said.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
drummerofgod89 wrote:

But seriously, who the hell works out for 5 years and people can’t tell that he works out?

Shit, by the looks of things, many of the people on this site. I honestly think those who have made progress that is visably noticeable to others who are also regular weight lifters are few in number.

Impressing the sedentary people at work who think 15" arms are huge isn’t what I’m talking about either.[/quote]

I think you’re out of control sometimes. It makes me laugh when I out lift guys that are a lot bigger than I am. I get satisfaction from that beyond what I look like. I don’t think I look horrible or weak or anything, but I’m not FREAKISH. Don’t need to be that to be freakishly strong, relative to your body weight though.

[quote]Xeneize wrote:
ajweins wrote:
Prof-

… You have put a lot of time into this site and I hope you know it hasn’t gone unappreciated. I have benefited from your input as I am sure many others have as well.

Thank you.

What he said.[/quote]

I do appreciate that.

I agree. Prof has put a lot of time in here and shared some profound, although simple at times, advice and input. He is a little harsh at times but I think he is a good, intelligent guy. I always look at his posts, most of which are fuckin’ hysterical and VERY witty!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I’ve been here since before 2000 even though it states differently in my profile. That is also why. The only others here that long are people like Mufasa or Nate Dawg.[/quote]

You’re just a whippersnapper to me ;-).

Although, I hear T-Nation had to buy a separate server just to handle your heavy posting volume…

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2010817

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
drummerofgod89 wrote:

But seriously, who the hell works out for 5 years and people can’t tell that he works out?

Shit, by the looks of things, many of the people on this site. I honestly think those who have made progress that is visably noticeable to others who are also regular weight lifters are few in number.

Impressing the sedentary people at work who think 15" arms are huge isn’t what I’m talking about either.

I think you’re out of control sometimes. It makes me laugh when I out lift guys that are a lot bigger than I am. I get satisfaction from that beyond what I look like. I don’t think I look horrible or weak or anything, but I’m not FREAKISH. Don’t need to be that to be freakishly strong, relative to your body weight though. [/quote]

^^ Not the purpose of bodybuilding. I think you meant to post in the Strength Sports forum.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
drummerofgod89 wrote:

But seriously, who the hell works out for 5 years and people can’t tell that he works out?

Shit, by the looks of things, many of the people on this site. I honestly think those who have made progress that is visably noticeable to others who are also regular weight lifters are few in number.

Impressing the sedentary people at work who think 15" arms are huge isn’t what I’m talking about either.

I think you’re out of control sometimes. It makes me laugh when I out lift guys that are a lot bigger than I am. I get satisfaction from that beyond what I look like. I don’t think I look horrible or weak or anything, but I’m not FREAKISH. Don’t need to be that to be freakishly strong, relative to your body weight though.

^^ Not the purpose of bodybuilding. I think you meant to post in the Strength Sports forum.[/quote]

A lot of these people seem lost.

It looks like Trib was right after all.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I’ve been here since before 2000 even though it states differently in my profile. That is also why. The only others here that long are people like Mufasa or Nate Dawg.

You’re just a whippersnapper to me ;-).

Although, I hear T-Nation had to buy a separate server just to handle your heavy posting volume…[/quote]

…and to handle the constant ass kissing he receives.

Well sounds like Digity is happy.

Maybe you should listen to some large individuals sometime, you might wake up big and strong one day.

“Complacency is the death of desire”.

But no one around here seems to agree with that.

some people are just not hardcore, no passion for anything, so you can’t convince them to do it no matter what…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
<<< A lot of these people seem lost.

It looks like Trib was right after all.[/quote]

This is exactly what I’m talkin about. Another room for sports/fitness/athletics/whatever might clear a lot of this crap up. There’s nothing abominable about those things, but they ain’t bodybuilding, I don’t think even by TC’s definition. That is I don’t think.

Even if you want to go all the way back to Sandow up through Grimek, Reeves on and on etc. They weren’t training for back bridges.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Professor X wrote:
<<< A lot of these people seem lost.

It looks like Trib was right after all.

This is exactly what I’m talkin about. Another room for sports/fitness/athletics/whatever might clear a lot of this crap up. There’s nothing abominable about those things, but they ain’t bodybuilding, I don’t think even by TC’s definition. That is I don’t think.[/quote]

It isn’t. I wish could find that article where he described what bodybuilding is and what this site is about, but that would take one very long search through the archives.

Too many here are trying to change “bodybuilding” into meaning “anything you want it to be EXCEPT building large muscles…because that’s bad and dysfunctional”.

It is like they praise minimal progress by making those who make the most progress in terms of physique change the bad guys.