T Nation

Excruciating Torso Pain with DL

I was trying to set a new DL max today. My current max is 205 raw and I was on my 195 attempt. The only thing different about today was I was hungry - didn’t eat beforehand.

I pulled it with some struggle and sat it down. As soon as I released tension my whole upper torso went through excruciating pain. I have some heart issues and for a second thought I was having a heart attack.

I felt like I had pulled my neck,traps,ant delts, chest and upper stomach all at the same time. I just sat down and grimmaced for a couple minutes while I let the pain subside. I’m writing this about an hour later and it all feels fine now.

Has anyone ever had this kind of pull/pain happen to them?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

How old are you? What is your weight? If you have heart issues, have you been cleared by a physician to lift in the first place? I recommend seeing a physician immediatly.

If you had a heart attack it wouldn’t have subsided that fast, but it could have been an anginal episode. I agree with The Greek, you should see a physician right away.

Out of curiousity, what type of heart condition were you previously diagnosed with? I work in cardiopulmonary medicine (I’m NOT a doctor) and might be able to give some insite, BUT SEE A DOCTOR!

I’m 22, 128. I’ve been cleared to lift. I haven’t gotten the tests to find out exactly what is wrong with my heart. So far we just know I have an irregular heart beat and get occasional chest/neck/arm pain.

What type of irregular beat? SVT, A Fib, PACs, PVCs? That would be helpful. Do you have mitral valve prolapse (have you had an echocardiogram)?

A heart attack at 22 would be extremely rare, especially for a woman.

I don’t know the answers to your questions and I don’t think I had a heart attack of course but heart issues do run in the family. I just thought maybe someone else had had that kind of total upper body cramping/seizing and could attribute it to a lack of water or suggest a supplement I may be low in. I wasn’t sure what kind of response I would get.

A couple of things.

you might have had a pull in your trap area,
a trap pull can also give you a chest strain and that could have hurt your delt,

have had the trap /chest thing, pulling myself but it was so long ago, I can’t remember all the details.

How will you feel tomorrow ??? That could give you some insight

lastly, be very careful for a week or two pulling with submaximal weights with perfect form until you are sure that nothing has been hurt.