Excessive Yawning

Sometimes I feel like I just can’t get enough air into my lungs and I need to continuously yawn. A lot of times this happens after a workout. Anybody else experience this? I’m wondering if it has anything to do with not breathing correctly during my lifts…?

Sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason.

go to bed?

Yeah, I tend to yawn excessively for an hour or two after a good, tough workout. Yet, I don’t really feel tired, I’m still pumped. Never really thought about it, I’m also curious if it means anything.

yawning is simply your bodys way of getting more oxegyn when it needs it.

Why you are doing it after a work out and are not tired I do not know but thats why we yawn.

Maybe my scenario is what motivated a lot of “old school” guys to take the PWO nap? Maybe I should give it a go. Hell, maybe this will break my plateau and get me up over 200? (optimistic)

[quote]ktennies wrote:
Sometimes I feel like I just can’t get enough air into my lungs and I need to continuously yawn. A lot of times this happens after a workout. Anybody else experience this? I’m wondering if it has anything to do with not breathing correctly during my lifts…?

Sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason.[/quote]

It “may” be a symptom of hypothyroidism. I had the same thing happening to me (years ago) but once I was diagnosed and put on thyroid meds, it stopped. I could swear I read somewhere that the excessive yawning/ not enough air in lungs might be caused by hypothyroidism. I’ll post anything I can find on it.

If you look towards the bottom of the list, it mentions that symptom. If you have any of the other ones listed, you might want to get your TSH tested.

This is one of the best websites regarding hypothyroidism, btw.

i get that, when i finish a good workout i’ll burst out into an uncontrolable yawn mid way through a sentence and it drives me crazy. i’ll even get the urge to yawn while i’m yawning and try to do a double intake of air. i have no idea why this is, and although its a little anoying, i can put up with it. it only lasts an hour or two.

One theory for why we yawn is that it’s a body temperature control mechanism, either for our whole bodies or just for our brains. Either way after a workout your whole body or your CNS might be running hot after a workout so perhaps the yawn is to cool yourself down a little.

sounds like an anxiety issue

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
sounds like an anxiety issue[/quote]

… elaborate?

some meds have yawning as a side effect, particularly SSRIs and anti-convulsants.
don’t know if that’s relevant at all…

training with intensity creates an oxygen deficit, that lasts longer the more intensely you train.
It’s part of the reason you’ll keep burning fat after a HIIT style workout.

I had to break out my ACSM guidelines for exercise testing and prescription but I found it.

EPOC is the acronym for: “Elevated Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption” or “Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption” the harder you train the longer this effect lasts.
so yawning to help with the oxygenation process makes sense.

did I just turn into the “pub-med guy”?
damn.