T Nation

Excessive Sweating

Alright, this is getting ridiculous. I’ve come to literally LOATHE the summer because I turn into a friggin hose, springing leaks from all over. Sitting here as I type this I’m actually dripping sweat onto my keyboard.

The worst part is while it’s not terrible in my armpits I sweat like crazy on my face and forehead, and my forearms and shins sweat like there’s no tomorrow. Pretty friggin disgusting and not only does it embarass me but it’s socially awkward when I’m pour sweat, towelling myself off all the time.

So: does anyone have any idea if something can be done? Is anyone in the same boat and have some helpful suggestions? I’d love to hear just about anything…my uncle has some drops that he puts under his pits and says it works like a charm, but it only helps pit sweating.

Ugh…time to towel myself off.

Our state is really humid. That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Ingest 30 grams of creatine per day and limit yourself to approximately 15 ounces of water daily. Start each day by running 10 miles as fast as you can in a sweat suit.

You’ll be dry as a rock in Arizona before you can say uncle.

Or you’ll at least learn to deal with weather patterns silently.

I heard on the cbc today that eating dill pickles is supposed to help you cool off…haha not sure on that one…

I personally sweat bad on my forehead, chest back, and ass when seated, I find going barefoot helps, usually I just kick my shoes off under my desk durign the day. Keeping some cool water by helps me a bit too, and keeping your hair short makes a huge difference too.

I live in the south, it’s summer.

I sweat like a whore in church.

What can you do? Change shirts more often.

I feel your pain. It gets really bad when girls are always asking you why your sweating.

I’ve been searching all over its looking like something you just have to live with. Try to keep a towel by you at all times, LIMIT the alcohol, coffee, and Hot foods.

The cardio in the hottest part of the day does help a little, but I don’t know if how much it helps is worth all the work.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Ingest 30 grams of creatine per day and limit yourself to approximately 15 ounces of water daily. Start each day by running 10 miles as fast as you can in a sweat suit.

You’ll be dry as a rock in Arizona before you can say uncle.

Or you’ll at least learn to deal with weather patterns silently. [/quote]

All due respect, but I was asking a serious question that could lead to a helpful answer. For the 95% of people who don’t sweat as bad as I do, I don’t expect much sympathy because you don’t have to deal with it every day. Suffice it to say, it’s disgusting as hell when it’s 60 degrees out and I’m dripping–literally DRIPPING–in sweat.

So no, I’d rather not ‘learn to deal with weather patterns’, I like being proactive and seeking out a solution–or at least some helpful advice–seems the better way to go. Thanks, though.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I feel your pain. It gets really bad when girls are always asking you why your sweating.

I’ve been searching all over its looking like something you just have to live with. Try to keep a towel by you at all times, LIMIT the alcohol, coffee, and Hot foods.

The cardio in the hottest part of the day does help a little, but I don’t know if how much it helps is worth all the work.[/quote]

Yeah, all good advice…unfortunately, I very rarely drink, I never drink coffee and I might have something spicy once a month, if that.

I’ve never heard that cardio during the hottest part of the day helps, that’s interesting. My initial thought would be that that would just get you sweating more, but I guess it’s worth a shot. Thanks.

[quote]Hambone1818 wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
Ingest 30 grams of creatine per day and limit yourself to approximately 15 ounces of water daily. Start each day by running 10 miles as fast as you can in a sweat suit.

You’ll be dry as a rock in Arizona before you can say uncle.

Or you’ll at least learn to deal with weather patterns silently.

All due respect, but I was asking a serious question that could lead to a helpful answer. For the 95% of people who don’t sweat as bad as I do, I don’t expect much sympathy because you don’t have to deal with it every day. Suffice it to say, it’s disgusting as hell when it’s 60 degrees out and I’m dripping–literally DRIPPING–in sweat.

So no, I’d rather not ‘learn to deal with weather patterns’, I like being proactive and seeking out a solution–or at least some helpful advice–seems the better way to go. Thanks, though. [/quote]

Just like gorilla, I too live in the south and in a humid part of it.

Sweating here is part of summer and everyone sweats like you do. Ass sweat, back sweat, face sweat…

I guess you could wear sweat bands and cloth diapers. Or spend lots of time at the pool/lake/river etc to keep cool. Short of that, there isn’t much you can do but dehydrate yourself.

[quote]Hambone1818 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
I feel your pain. It gets really bad when girls are always asking you why your sweating.

I’ve been searching all over its looking like something you just have to live with. Try to keep a towel by you at all times, LIMIT the alcohol, coffee, and Hot foods.

The cardio in the hottest part of the day does help a little, but I don’t know if how much it helps is worth all the work.

Yeah, all good advice…unfortunately, I very rarely drink, I never drink coffee and I might have something spicy once a month, if that.

I’ve never heard that cardio during the hottest part of the day helps, that’s interesting. My initial thought would be that that would just get you sweating more, but I guess it’s worth a shot. Thanks.
[/quote]
You could pro-actively ask your doctor about removing your sweat glands.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Hambone1818 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
I feel your pain. It gets really bad when girls are always asking you why your sweating.

I’ve been searching all over its looking like something you just have to live with. Try to keep a towel by you at all times, LIMIT the alcohol, coffee, and Hot foods.

The cardio in the hottest part of the day does help a little, but I don’t know if how much it helps is worth all the work.

Yeah, all good advice…unfortunately, I very rarely drink, I never drink coffee and I might have something spicy once a month, if that.

I’ve never heard that cardio during the hottest part of the day helps, that’s interesting. My initial thought would be that that would just get you sweating more, but I guess it’s worth a shot. Thanks.

You could pro-actively ask your doctor about removing your sweat glands.
[/quote]

That too.
They do have some kind of surgery to remove sweat glands. The running in hot weather thing is not immediate, but it does acclimate your body better to the weather so you will sweat a little less. However for the next hour or two afterwards it will make you sweat more.

[quote]Hambone1818 wrote:
All due respect, but I was asking a serious question that could lead to a helpful answer. For the 95% of people who don’t sweat as bad as I do, I don’t expect much sympathy because you don’t have to deal with it every day. Suffice it to say, it’s disgusting as hell when it’s 60 degrees out and I’m dripping–literally DRIPPING–in sweat.

So no, I’d rather not ‘learn to deal with weather patterns’, I like being proactive and seeking out a solution–or at least some helpful advice–seems the better way to go. Thanks, though. [/quote]

You might have a condition known as hyperhidrosis:

…which is, basically, sweating a lot more than the temperature or your level of physical activity would call for.

See a doctor. There are treatments for it as detailed in the Wiki page.

I tend to sweat when I eat alot of carbs. Maybe you are reacting to your diet. Has your eating plan changed at all? You may want to track what you are eating and when you tend to start sweating. A couple of beers and I am wiping sweat off of my brow nonstop.

On a funny note, a good friend of mine gets upper lip sweat whenever he is serious or concentrating.

[quote]pookie wrote:
You might have a condition known as hyperhidrosis:

…which is, basically, sweating a lot more than the temperature or your level of physical activity would call for.

See a doctor. There are treatments for it as detailed in the Wiki page.

[/quote]

Interesting, I had never heard of that…I figured there was some medical condition, I just hadn’t stumbled across it previously. Thanks for the help, I’ll look into this further.

[quote]pookie wrote:

You might have a condition known as hyperhidrosis:

…which is, basically, sweating a lot more than the temperature or your level of physical activity would call for.

See a doctor. There are treatments for it as detailed in the Wiki page.

[/quote]

This is different Hyper is primarily for armpits hands and feet.

[quote]Will Tagye wrote:
I tend to sweat when I eat alot of carbs. Maybe you are reacting to your diet. Has your eating plan changed at all? You may want to track what you are eating and when you tend to start sweating. A couple of beers and I am wiping sweat off of my brow nonstop.

On a funny note, a good friend of mine gets upper lip sweat whenever he is serious or concentrating.
[/quote]

Naw, nothing new diet-wise. And this sweating thing isn’t a new phenomenon; doesn’t matter the diet, the exercise habits, my general physical condition. I’ve always sweated a ton, I’m just now getting around to figuring out why.

That’s funny about your friend with the upper-lip sweat…it can be extremely annoying because you don’t really notice the sweat there for some reason.

[quote]pookie wrote:
You might have a condition known as hyperhidrosis:


…which is, basically, sweating a lot more than the temperature or your level of physical activity would call for.
See a doctor. There are treatments for it as detailed in the Wiki page.[/quote]

LMAO! So now BigPharma and the Medical Establishment have defined “excessive sweating” as a disease? I love it! WOW. What’s more hilarious is that people (like you) buy into this disease creation nonsense. Geeze.

I’d love to post a much snarkier response, but I’d hate to overly tax your adrenal glands.

To the OP: I sweat more than anyone I know. I will sweat through a shirt less than halfway through my workout. This is in cool weather. In hot weather, it’s much worse.

There isn’t much you can do. BUT…

If you’re going out to a club or something where it’s hot, DO NOT have a big meal before you go. Your body temperature will rise when you eat a large meal, thus making your problem worse. Also, avoid thermogenics and caffeine for that reason.

So, if you’re all grown up and have business meetings, order a salad or something rather than a steak. It won’t cure the excessive sweating, but it at least won’t aggravate it.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
LMAO! So now BigPharma and the Medical Establishment have defined “excessive sweating” as a disease? I love it! WOW. What’s more hilarious is that people (like you) buy into this disease creation nonsense. Geeze.[/quote]

It’s not really anything new.

I learned the name of the condition maybe 10 years ago, when I saw a TV report on someone who had a particular severe case of it.

While you may sweat through a T-Shirt in 30 minutes while exercising, that particular person was drenched simply standing around doing nothing in an air conditioned room. Extremely awkward in any social situation.

While conditions like “Restless Leg Syndrome” might be rather amusing, some conditions, even if not life threatening, aren’t simply thought up by BigPharma marketing execs, but are actual problems for the people living with them.

Take luke-warm showers, not hot. Hot water opens up your pores and makes you sweat more.

If arm-pit stains are a big problem, shave your pits; you’ll sweat less there.

Are you carrying extra weight? Losing weight will help a lot.

(Married to a heavy sweater.)