Excess Diet Coke

By the way . . . I drink Pepsi “One” which has splenda - I like the taste better - not to avoid the aspartame. But if you want to drink diet soda and want to avoid the aspertame its an alternative.

Just to add my 2 centavos:

I used to drink at least 2 20oz bottles of Diet Coke per day. I have quit cold turkey for about 3 months now. Tempted yes, but I do ok.

I’ve heard, and this could be total bs, that all artificial sweeteners stimulate an insulin response. So, even though you are getting no sugar and therefore no coversion of sugar to fat, your body still freaks out a little. If you are trying to regulate insulin levels this may be a bad thing.

That said, now that I drink 1 gallon of H2O per day, I think if I added soda to the mix I’d be going to the bathroom non-stop.

Everything can kill you if you eat / drink or use enough of it.

Moderation is the key. I used to be a coke junkie, drinking 4-6 cans a day. Now going on 3 weeks without a “Coke” but have since switched to diet. Some days I have my good days and drink none, some days I have bad days and drink 3-4 cans. I drink about 150 oz of water on top of the diet beverage and added with my morning milk / oj and several cups of green tea.

Do I feel better now that I’m off coke? Yes, sure do. Does diet coke worry me? Not particuarly. Hell people said creatine was “ohh so bad” and now look at the turnaround. Ohh saturated fat is so bad for you ,switch to mono fats and now look at what they are saying.

If we all lived in fear of this little chemical or that well we might as well move back to the woods, raise our own stuff and hole up.

Dr. Mercola has a very bad oppinion about sweeteners…and I remember seeing people on this site saying that he knows his stuff…

[quote]Black Thorn wrote:
Dr. Mercola has a very bad oppinion about sweeteners…and I remember seeing people on this site saying that he knows his stuff…[/quote]

There are probably more people on this site that think Mercola is full of BS.

It’s hard to argue with studies, esp. the 24 wk one with the heavy dosage. I guess I’m just saying what I’ve experienced…

i don’t know anyone that has had negative side effects from artifical sweeteners. i drink a ton of diet soda a day for about 5 years now. nothing has happened to me whatsoever.

Switch to the 2 liter bottles to save money! Seriously would not worry about 6-8 cans a day-if that is your worst vice, relax. Sure you will hear its bad, poison blah blah…this from those who suck down a few beers each day.

If you look at the doorway symptoms, they cover just about any and every condition there is. Yeah in a perfect world we probably shouldnt drink any soda, diet or not, but for those of us that work long hours, have more than one job, families, or train past failure, somedays you need a boost. Plus if you really want to be so healthy, stay away from bodybuilding or serious weighlifting anyway-both are killers on your body.

Personally I love Diet Coke, but then again I can and do take ephedra or an ECA stack like TicTacs- with little effect…never any recreational or OTC drugs or alcohol, 1-2 gallons of water every day, clean diet, good supplements…and I’m probably one of the oldest guys here!

Plus its kinda funny people are so worried about a drug that has been tested so extensively, made in state of the art labs in this country under controlled conditions, but have no problem injecting god knows what made in some hellhole by some scumbag. But if it makes me bigger…

[quote]quidproquo wrote:

a bunch of pretty common sense stuff[/quote]

you are asking for opinions, so artificial sweeteners are very bad FOR ME in high doses.

they. just. make. me. feel. like. SH!T.

i have heard (anecdotal? i don’t recall) that the artificial sweeteners have been linked to joint inflammation/pain

i use an equal two sometimes in coffee or to sweeten some peanut butter, but not much. sacharin and splenda both taste like sh!t to me.

“but splenda is made from sugar.” ok, well crack is made from cocaine, and i don’t use that sh!t either.

this is definitely a YMMV issue. some people are fine with it, some aren’t but think they are, some aren’t and know. some just don’t know … you go here.

why don’t you take a month (ok, at least 21 days sugar-t) without it and see how you feel? don’t be surprised if you don’t go back or at least cut back.

Dan

I had a bad caffiene problem.

3 No-Doze a day plus about 8 Diet Cokes.

I recently quit the no-doze and starting drinking Diet Rite cola. No cals, no caffeine, no sodium. It still tastes like diet coke and that helped a lot when the headaches came.

The power of the human mind is amazing…

Functional magnetic resonance imaging of human hypothalamic responses to sweet taste and calories.

Smeets PA, de Graaf C, Stafleu A, van Osch MJ, van der Grond J.

Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands. paul@isi.uu.nl

BACKGROUND: Evidence exists that beverages do not trigger appropriate anticipatory physiologic responses, such as cephalic phase insulin release. Therefore, it is of interest to elucidate the food properties necessary for triggering adaptive responses.

Previously, we found a prolonged dose-dependent decrease in the hypothalamic functional magnetic resonance imaging signal after ingestion of a glucose solution.

OBJECTIVES: The aims of the present study were to measure the effects of sweet taste and energy content on the hypothalamic response to glucose ingestion and to measure the concomitant changes in blood glucose and insulin concentrations.

DESIGN: Five healthy, normal-weight men participated in a randomized crossover design trial. The subjects were scanned 4 times for 37 min on separate days with functional magnetic resonance imaging.

After 7 min, they ingested 1 of the following 4 stimuli (300 mL of each): water (control), a glucose solution, an aspartame (sweet taste) solution, or a maltodextrin (nonsweet carbohydrate) solution.

RESULTS: Glucose ingestion resulted in a prolonged and significant signal decrease in the upper hypothalamus (P < 0.05). Water, aspartame, and maltodextrin had no such effect. Glucose and maltodextrin ingestions resulted in similar increases in blood glucose and insulin concentrations.

However, only glucose triggered an early rise in insulin concentrations. Aspartame did not trigger any insulin response. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings suggest that both sweet taste and energy content are required for a hypothalamic response.

The combination of sweet taste and energy content could be crucial in triggering adaptive responses to sweetened beverages.

PubMED is free for abstracts, use it instead of relying on old women’s tales.

AlexH.

why all the opinion is focused on sweetner and Caffeine??

personally i don’t know which information on web should i believe, but i can tell you guys one thing, i’ve try to finish a 2 Litre bottle of Diet Coke in one day, after i drink about 3/4 of that bottle, i start feeling dizzy, i don’t know its caused by sweetner or Caffeine or the carbonated water inside, but i feel sick, and that’s what i can tell you.

Try giving it up and see if you feel better and improves.

Rule of thumb, the less processed your food, the better. Try water or club soda.