T Nation

Excercises to Improve Speed

What exercises should I be doing If I want to gain speed? Is there any I should stay away from?etc

Of course I run 3-5 times a week at high intensity…but Its getting a bit monotonous so any advice so I can change things up a bit?

Tabata.

Power snatches.

Wind Sprints.

CT wrote a great article about hamstring training and how it relates to speed. I think its called The Lost Art of Hamstring Training

[quote]Otep wrote:
Tabata.

Power snatches.

Wind Sprints.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, why do tabata for speed? I can’t see it making someone faster, just improving their GPP…

What kind of speed do you want? Linear speed (straight running) or increased agile speed (change of direction).

[quote]Billy Whizz wrote:
What kind of speed do you want? Linear speed (straight running) or increased agile speed (change of direction). [/quote]

Yep, need to specify so that we can give fitting exercises.

I would need a mixture between linear and agile speed to be honest. Or do I have to focus on one?

Mixture would be best.

Linear speed i suggest sled drags and parachute runs.
To become more agile work cone running (american football-style).

Plyometrics are good too.
Every lower body excercise should be explosive. And learn some oly lifts.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
Otep wrote:
Tabata.

Power snatches.

Wind Sprints.

Just out of curiosity, why do tabata for speed? I can’t see it making someone faster, just improving their GPP…[/quote]

Because it sounded like the OP really just wanted a break from doing intervals.

Getting fast is just like developing any other aspect of athletics. You train it. You run, in varying ways, you increase your VO2 and anaerobic conditioning, and you work on explosive hip-centered movements like back squats and oly-lifts. Tabata is one of those varying ways you can run.

[quote]aidyquinn wrote:
What exercises should I be doing If I want to gain speed? Is there any I should stay away from?etc

Of course I run 3-5 times a week at high intensity…but Its getting a bit monotonous so any advice so I can change things up a bit?[/quote]

Try tabata sprints, suicide sprints, sprinting against a band.
start gettin into explosive type lifting such as power cleans, snatches,