Examples of Warm-ups

Hooollo Everybody,
I know that there are many CSCS’s, strength couches, S&C coaches, various sports specific coaches/trainers, a lot of PTs, instructors and many other strength sports and sports Nutcases on this site!! I know that many of you visit this forum, too.
Normally the quality of advice and responds is fantastic. Although I’ve been in the game for nearly 2 decades, I still learn new things from YOU!!

(well, there’s quite some shit too!)
:wink:

Anyway, I decided I am going to pick your brains!

I am becoming LAZY and complacent! Or maybe sometimes just temporarily slow (talking about “brain-power”).

I normally train quite a few people (various levels of performance: from weekend worriers to absolutely top guys competing in Nationals, European, Worlds and Para-Olympics . . .
well, and PLENTY of fat women of various shapes and level of BF).

We all have some specific ways of doing things… and now I wanted to talk about warm-ups.
I realised that although over the years I tried quite a few things, I tend to follow my own fads and am rather narrow minded when some of my “warm-up fads” is in fashion.

Example would be:

1 Choose 3-4 body weight exercises and perform them in circuit fashion, 30 sec each. Rest for a few seconds and…repeat 3-5 times.

(exercises such as Burpees, Lunges, squats, Light Turkish-Get-ups, jumping jacks, etc…)

2 Choose 3 of the above exercises and do them 3 min each (easy pace). Rest 1 min between sets.

3 Add skipping Rope to the above

4 Skipping Rope on its own - say 3 x 3 min

5 - Plenty other shit that I was brain washed with during my College and Sports Science/Physical Education studies.

Theory is theory, we all know it…but some drills are more entertaining than the others.

And here comes my question - Can you share your GOOD, INTERESTING Warm-ups from your repertoire…regardless the group you come from (sports specific, S&C, or just training Fat B******s).

I’d really appreciate your input. I reckon it could be of some help to many others on this site.

I just want to get this post going… I’ll surely add a few more myself.

Well, final note - 8-10 min of Treadmill followed by 10 minutes of static stretches - We ALL know this one, so save some electricity!

LoL

Cheers,

Try some plyometric exercises.

Just hit the dynamic warmup.

knees up
heels back
shuffle step
cross-overs
Shoulder mobility
neck mobility
circle squats
backwards sprints
walking one leg RDLs
one leg jump
commando crawl
somersaults (front roll, back roll)

skipping

or my favorite…

napping

-chris

“commando crawl” - was not sure what this was - so googled it . . . :slight_smile:
Well, I know now!

this “napping” could be interesting too!!

:slight_smile:

Commando crawl is a killer with an x vest or actual armor on. Some guys I used to train with were in the aussie SAS army and got the luxury of crawling 3 kilometers in full gear, full ammo, with a AR 15 platform gun in 35 degree celcius heat. they were hard bastards. Try standing on your head with your arms supporting you out to the sides for about 2 minutes. Man that gets your blood going and youreally start sweating. fun too, gives you a little “whippet-like” high after you stop.

-chris

[quote]FairDo wrote:
“commando crawl” - was not sure what this was - so googled it . . . :slight_smile:
Well, I know now!

this “napping” could be interesting too!!

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Well, I admire all the special forces drills, but in my opinion once you’re really fit, increasing the distance or time of the exercises (like this comando crawl) + in full kit on is doing little more for your physical fitness… they are just mental exercises!
I like to achieve maximum one can get, using minimum time required to achieve it.
I am trying to say, that I prefere intensity than volume.

But of course I know that army or special forces drills are different ball games.

And … today I’m going to try this head stand thing for a couple of minutes :slight_smile: looks fun!

Going Back to Warm-ups:

I used to enjoy dragging the sledge as a warm-up

or…

light abdominals (only body weight or light resistance): 3-4 exerces do them again in circuit fashon

eg a) cross sit-up with light med ball 8 x each side
b) Russian twists with the same resistance 10x each side
c) lying leg raises 10 x
Repeat the above siquence 3 times… normally it takes around 7-8 mins

Any other WARM- up ideas??

thank you!

Here’s what the couple of athletes I train did this past week as a warmup:

Bent knee twist x 8
Prone/sup scorpion x 8
Birddog x 8
RDL Walk x 40 feet
Walking lung x 40 feet
Overhead squat (light med ball) 2 x 8
Med Ball Throws x 10
-chest pass
-overhead
-forward scoop
-backwards scoop
Overhead broomstick dislocations x 12
Static hip flexor stretch 2 x 15sec
Static hip rotator stretch 2 x 15sec
Trap stretch 2 x 15sec
Standing broad jumps x 5

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Here’s what the couple of athletes I train did this past week as a warmup:

Bent knee twist x 8
Prone/sup scorpion x 8
Birddog x 8
RDL Walk x 40 feet
Walking lung x 40 feet
Overhead squat (light med ball) 2 x 8
Med Ball Throws x 10
-chest pass
-overhead
-forward scoop
-backwards scoop
Overhead broomstick dislocations x 12
Static hip flexor stretch 2 x 15sec
Static hip rotator stretch 2 x 15sec
Trap stretch 2 x 15sec
Standing broad jumps x 5[/quote]

I do some of this too, am working on making my warm up a little longer. It’s kinda pricey, but I highly recommend the Cressey and Robertson DVD Magnificent Mobility, lot of great warmup exercises on there, I’ve just started putting it to use.

Yeah the military stuff is always really high volume and grueling. But some quick commandos across the floor for 1 min or so will get you pumping.

you’ll like the head stand, plus it’s fun to balance.

cart wheels and bear crawls are good to.

-chris

realpeanutbutter, what are some things that you do for shoulder mobility?

Tuck jumps in place:

10 jumps
rest for 10 seconds
9 jumps
rest for 9 seconds
8 jumps
rest for 8 seconds

2 jumps
rest for 2 seconds
1 jump
rest for 1 second

And now you’re all warmed up.

For my shoulder mobility warmup I do lots of shoulder circles and marches with front/back shoulder raises. As I get further in the warmup I do them faster and faster. I also do some manually resisted external rotators to get those bad boys a bit warmer.

I start with shoulder circles, swinging back and fourth, lateral raises front/back/side. just a couple mins worth.

Then I grab a skipping rope and fold it in half, grab it at snatch width and stretch it taunt. Then i circle it back behind my head into OH squat position. I go from front ot back like this for a bit and then do some straight arm skipping.

Grab the rope and skip but keep your elbows locked and really circle your shoulders. do that for 2 mins, it’s tiring, and then I have about two more inches of mobility backwards on OH squats.

Then I do my lifts, like snatch.

there are some wrestling movement drills that i use to but could never describe.

-chris

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
realpeanutbutter, what are some things that you do for shoulder mobility?[/quote]

This is a hot warm up, I do it with burpees, or cartwheels. use this with any sport specific skill to warm up.

I knew a b-ball player that did this with jump-up-and-touch-the-rims and thena gain with medicine ball jump shots as a warm up. the guy got really good at dunking and jump shots really fast. he went from div 2 to div 1.

-chris

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
Tuck jumps in place:

10 jumps
rest for 10 seconds
9 jumps
rest for 9 seconds
8 jumps
rest for 8 seconds

2 jumps
rest for 2 seconds
1 jump
rest for 1 second

And now you’re all warmed up.[/quote]

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:

-chris[/quote]

well, I’ve just done head stand for exactly 2 min. it was not so bad as I though it would be.
it becomes somewhat tricky after 90 sec and I started to be aware of everything, my spine felt funny, thought that my head was getting flatter, too :wink:
shoulders feel pleasent as well

Good One!!

Now that you are a head stand break dancing master bring it up notch. Get a bike helmet or some kind of helmet and get your head stand on. then rotate yourself around in a circle. after a couple of those your shoulders will be warm as necessary.

Also try bringing your legs into splits. Side splits, front splits. have fun with it. Get a mat or a towel for your flat head.

-chris

[quote]FairDo wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:

-chris

well, I’ve just done head stand for exactly 2 min. it was not so bad as I though it would be.
it becomes somewhat tricky after 90 sec and I started to be aware of everything, my spine felt funny, thought that my head was getting flatter, too :wink:
shoulders feel pleasent as well

Good One!![/quote]

Check out The Warm-Up Manifesto, by T-Nation author John Paul Catanzaro

Links to Part 1, and Part 2

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=804576
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=805661

Here’s my general warm-up for a lower body day:

20 jumping jacks
2 sets pogo jumps for :10
4 Plane leg swings 10/10/10/10 reps
sky divers 12
hip pop ups 15
fwd arm circles 20
bckwrd arm circles 20
arm swings 30
prisonor squats 12
good mornings 12
fire hydrants 10
scorpians 20
1-L sldl 6/6
MB Swings 15

there’s alot more great stuff on the parisi warm-up method dvd.

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Now that you are a head stand break dancing master bring it up notch. Get a bike helmet or some kind of helmet and get your head stand on. then rotate yourself around in a circle. after a couple of those your shoulders will be warm as necessary.

Also try bringing your legs into splits. Side splits, front splits. have fun with it. Get a mat or a towel for your flat head.

-chris

[/quote]

Well, I’ll give these a pass !!

however, I used to do and sometimes give to others when we do body weight drills, lowering legs to touch the floor while doing head stand . . . good core exercise!

Now you try this one! :slight_smile: say, set of 10

That’s another great one. I/we call that a jack knife headstand or a upside down plange. I saw some hero do one on a yoga ball thingy. He brought his legs to horizontal, impressive.

-chris

[quote]FairDo wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:

-chris

Well, I’ll give these a pass !!

however, I used to do and sometimes give to others when we do body weight drills, lowering legs to touch the floor while doing head stand . . . good core exercise!

Now you try this one! :slight_smile: say, set of 10[/quote]