Ex-Fatso Lookin For Guidance

what pre-made workout routine would you recommend? seeing as i got it wrong right off the bat i might do it again? link? or someplace to look on T-Nation for the protrainer’s routines? much obliged

Good attitude . . . before and after pics . . .noticable progress . . .and willing to work?

I give you a 10.

I would recommend more volume on the compound movements as well. Maybe going to a 4x10 on bench, incline, and dips. If you can still do the extra it won’t be with near as much weight. At this point in your trainin there isn’t a reason to get down to the 1-3 rep range on any movement. But keep up the hard work. Props on the weight loss.

now is there a greater significance with doing the incline than the decline? and ur saying only do dips? really, not even supplimented with skullcrushers… also what supplements should i be taking/if any at all?

[quote]hdbashr768 wrote:
now is there a greater significance with doing the incline than the decline? and ur saying only do dips? really, not even supplimented with skullcrushers… also what supplements should i be taking/if any at all?[/quote]

I personally focus more on flat and incline. Incline especially really builds the upper chest and the delt chest tie in area. I do throw declines in occasionaly but it isn’t a focal point. At this stage if you are doing your three to four compound chest movements there is no need for skull crushers. Again, if you can still do those you haven’t hit your first three properly.

We have talked about intensity on this site recently and this is what it relates to. If you are humming through your workout with the energy to do endless skull crushers, tricep extensions, and so forth your intensity is low and likely you aren’t going to grow much muscle.

Supplements I would recommend would be a good protein like Metabolic Drive, Surge Recovery and Creatine for post workout, and Flameout. Read the info article for each in the T-Nation store and then post any questions regarding their use after reading about them.

D

[quote]hdbashr768 wrote:
now is there a greater significance with doing the incline than the decline? and ur saying only do dips? really, not even supplimented with skullcrushers… also what supplements should i be taking/if any at all?[/quote]

Dips are also a better tri exercise than skull crushers or anything else for that matter. Supps wise, protein and fish oil. Its all you really need, everything else is just extra. Concentrate on your training longer and worry about supps later.

Hmm, if your triceps haven’t been smashed to crap from your chest workout, then you better ante up and make them scream. Anyways see if you can do 40-50 dips in a row, hell if you can do 20 time to get that belt and chain and start adding plates to your crotch. Weighted dips + Bench Press… yumz.

If your looking for just strength purposes, chest/triceps, DB tricep extensions, there’s tons of that, pullovers… the cable tricep stuff is primarily better done after you hit the heavy compound savage stuff. Post-Fatigue/Exhaustion.

Close-Grip benchpressing, french press.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
hdbashr768 wrote:
now is there a greater significance with doing the incline than the decline? and ur saying only do dips? really, not even supplimented with skullcrushers… also what supplements should i be taking/if any at all?

Dips are also a better tri exercise than skull crushers or anything else for that matter. Supps wise, protein and fish oil. Its all you really need, everything else is just extra. Concentrate on your training longer and worry about supps later.[/quote]

100% all natural truth in this post. Reread this a few times if you don’t believe.

did you really train?

ummm i don’t quite understand the question above, but if what u mean to ask is “do i really train hard yadda yadda yadda” then the answer is yes. regardless of the volume of movements i have in my workout, for each one i go until i can’t anymore and I feel like puking (though i havn’t yet does it make me crazy that I really do want to puke during a training session?).

i’ve also read on the site about forearm pain, and now i know that my bones are bending in my forearms (WONDERFUL) because of increases in weight. I do appreciate everyone’s input and have minimized the amount of movements on each workout day. in about a year or so i’ll post again to show progress, but until then I’ll be lurking around… ; )

if you want here’s a picture of when i slimmed down to 165 before i had to build up to 186 now.

You’ve made some good progress so far, especially considering where you started, well done. Good attitude too.

I think your primary problem is that you have too much volume in your training program, plus what is with doing singles in every workout? - no wonder you aren’t getting stronger you are probably burned out.

You need to change your approach for a while, I’d chop the number of exercises right down. If you really wanna split then maybe consider something like below:

4 days training a week: Upper body1, lower body1, day off, upperbody2, lowerbody2, 2 days off, repeat.

Upper body1:
Dip
Pullup (wide grip)
Push Press
Close Grip pull down
Abs

Lower Body 1:
Squats
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Lunge
Seated calves

Upper body 2:
Bench Press
Barbell row
DB incline BP
Single arm DB row
Barbell curls - who doesn’t want big biceps :wink:
Abs

Lower Body 2:
Deadlift
Overhead Squat or front squat Bulgarian split squat
Standing calves

(I like overhead squats on dealift day as the load is much less and you may be burned out after DLs, but it taxes your core like nothing else and helps with hip flexibility)

Some sort of dynamic warm up before each session, with some movement specific based warmups for the exercises you doing that day.

I’d suggest set/rep ranges in the region of 4 sets of 8 for the first “big two” exercises on each day then 2 or 3 sets of each of the remaining exercises, up to 10 reps or so. The key is to up your intensity, lift heavy, go home and eat! I don’t think you should be spending more than an hour at the most in the gym if your intensity is where it should be.

No doubt there are those out there at a stage of development where they can work intensely for up to two hours, however I don’t think you are it.

Do that for a while (6-8weeks or so) then change up your rep ranges, I had good results with 5x5, sooo… do 5x5 for your first two exercises then 2 sets each of 10ish for the remaining exercises, for a further 6-8weeks. Then try something different again.

OR - pick a workout from this site by one of the authors, perhaps TBT from Chad Waterbury. If you wanna invest in a book I am really enjoying New Rules of Lifting by Alwyn Cosgrove at the minute.

Now your training is sorted, take a look at your diet, read some of the nutrition articles on this site - 7 habits by John Berardi would be a good place to start. Apply what you learn.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Cheers,

Stuey.

when you work out 6 days a week it is very easy to over train or plateau because you dont recover. recovery is 50 percent of working out so my advice is to work out only 3 days a week and load up on protien to recover faster and you will see positive results. thier is an article called Plateau Busters on this website that will help you with plateauing