T Nation

Evolv's Summer Log

Das Summer Log

SMOLOV and WS4SB Stuff (for upperbody)

MAY 25, 2009 -
gym closed early due to Memorial Day, I was pissed… so I could only get in a couple things. Here is what I did in 15 minutes of being there:

-Bench Press- worked up to a 175 x 4 rep max, I was rushed so I think I could’ve gotten more if I had more time to rest b/w sets.

• Chin-ups (2 x max reps) - (1) 17 reps (2) 10 reps (again I think I did these within 2 minutes)

Ok today was friggin moto, had an awesome session! I started the Smolov and worked in what I didn’t finish yesterday.

• Squat - 4 x 9 at 245 lbs

• Superset -
    DB Rows 4 x 8-12 70 lbs DB
    and
    Face Pulls 4 x 8-12 37.5 lbs

• BB Shrugs - 4 x 8-12 at 185 lbs, pause and squeeze at the top of every rep

• Hammer Curls - 3 x 8-15 30 lbs DB

Today was some work… I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck now. But I kept the intensity throughout the workout with the help of some Lamb of God and the beautiful gal that was working in the weightroom this morning.

• Squat - 7 x 5, 280 lbs

• DB Press 4 x 12 - 15, 50 lbs DBs

• SuperSet -
    Chins - 3 x 8-12 BW
    and
    Bent over rear flyes 3 x 8-12, 12.5 lbs DBs

• Lat. Raise (holding on rack) - 4 x 8-12, 25 lbs DB

-Another Superset -
Seated DB Shrugs - 3 x 8-10, 65 lbs DBs
and
Tricep Pushdowns - 3 x 15-25, 42.5 lbs (too easy, need to up the weight next time)

-Captains of Crush grippers - 3 x max reps, just used the Trainer today.

(Lamb of God) + (attractive female in the room) = about all the motivation I need

Strong is a great watch, and I totally agree about wanting to get up to DeFranco’s and train. I bet the atmosphere is electric.

Good luck with the Smolov cycle.

Thanks man, yeah I really like the Lamb of God for training-- its a good sound. Welcome to the forums by the way.

• May 29th, 2009 - Couldnt post yesterday due to life, how people get on the internet every single day is beyond me…

• Squat - 10 x 3 @ 300 lbs, missed some reps on this one. Was kinda let down, I think just working back into the Smolov is it. I’ve forgotten the ass you have to give it at times. I lowered the weight to 295 on set 8 just for some psychological leverage, it worked.

• Ham Curls - 3 x 8-12, 90 lbs (first time I’ve used a machine in a LONG time, felt kinda good to be over there with all the cheeseball business men and women.)

• Calf Raises - 3 x 20 - 25, BW, single leg.

Man, I got some itty bitty calves. I’m thinking of doing some type of calf work three times a week, I am not really overly worried about aesthetic things… but my calves are friggin terrible, they in no way reflect the amount of leg work I do.

Well, that was it, I feel okay today. Feel really stiff, so I’ll do much stretching and maybe some foam rolling to try and loosen up before Monday. Everyone have a great weekend.

Evolv, you got me in pain already. That’s some serious work you are putting in.

I actually started doing various raises before each session as a “warm-up”. My calves are still on the small side, but I think I have jump started a little growth.

Missed Monday training due to family issues. My girlfriend’s granddad is ill with cancer and only has a few months to live and she is having a hard time with it. I gotta say though, the man is 84, a WWII vet and quite the character. An extra extraordinary fella to say the least, funny as hell, and someone whom I have the deepest respect for. He chose to not recieve any treatment, and is riding out his last days as happy as possible. Respect.

• June 03, 2009 -

-Squat!- 5 x 7 @ 280 lbs

• Bench - worked up to a 195 x 3 max.

• Chins - 2 x max reps

Overall, a good session, I need to fine some new tunes to jam out to at the gym. I’m wearing out Lamb of God, Slipknot, Metallica, Five finger Death Punch, etc. I am missing reps on my smolov, which is weird, the first time I did Smolov I was on that shit like lickity-split. Maybe my head is just not all in it like it should be, who knows.

June 4, 2009

• Pull-ups - 2 x max reps

• Superset -
    DB Rows 4 x 12 w/ 70 lbs DB
    and
    Face-Pulls - 4 x 12 w/ 42 lbs

• BB Shrugs - 4 x 12 at 185 lbs (pause and hold)

• Hammer Curls - 3 x 15 w/ 30 lbs, they were more like Zottman curls. I feel like I get a better contraction/burn… whatever you want to friggin call it.

June 5, 2009

• Squat - 10 x 3 @ 315 lbs

• Calf Raise - same as last.

So three days in a row here, I decided to move Saturdays session to today, and rest the legs for the weekend. I’m feeling very lethargic, its been on going for a month now. So I’m thinking about dropping the Smolov, haven’t decided yet, and just following the WS4SB with two days of squats per week. I think I am burned out, as I haven’t really had a “deload” type deal in a long time. Since November this has been the programs I followed:

• Smolov, all cycles, added 75 lbs to 1RM on squat.
  • 2 weeks of rest.
  • 6 week Virginia Tech strength program template. Brought my upperbody back to life.
  • 1 week rest
  • 4 week prep Shieko workout. No added strength to squat, obviously. But brought up my bench some. Still was a challenging program.
  • Rested 1 week,
  • Smolov and WS4SB stuff. Where I’m at now.

Basically I’ve lost a lot of kickass mentality in my workouts. Not sure why. I think it might be best to switch from the powerlifting type routines to something different. Physically I am fine, I just dont have the positive mental attitude I usually have when I am in the gym. Also, because of life stuff, I haven’t been able to follow my programs to the “T.” I’ve constantly been having to move days here and there since I’ve started these past couple weeks, that might have something to do with it.

June 6th, 2009

-DB Press - 4 x 12-15 @ 100 lbs

-Superset-
Chins 3 x 8-12 BW
and
BO Rear Flyes - 3 x 8-12 w/ 25 lbs

-L Lat Raise - 4 x 8-12 w/ 12.5 lbs

-Superset-
DB Shrugs - 3 x 8-10 140 lbs
and
Tri-Pushdowns - 3 x 15-25 w/ 62.5 lbs and 57.5 lbs

CoC Grippers 3x max reps, Used the trainer again.

June 8th, 2009

-Bench- worked up to 3 x 200lbs max
-Chins- 2 x max reps, 18 reps and 10 reps

-Superset-
DB Rows - 4 x 8-12, 75 lbs DB
and
FacePulls - 4 x 8-12, 47 lbs

• BB Shrugs - 4 x 8-12, 190 lbs, paused and hold at top of rep.

• Hammer Curls - 3 x 8-15, 30 lbs DBs

• CalfRaise - 3 x 20-30, 50 lbs, raised off a 45 lbs plate.

I’m feeling much more energetic this week!

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Basically I’ve lost a lot of kickass mentality in my workouts. Not sure why. I think it might be best to switch from the powerlifting type routines to something different. Physically I am fine, I just dont have the positive mental attitude I usually have when I am in the gym. Also, because of life stuff, I haven’t been able to follow my programs to the “T.” I’ve constantly been having to move days here and there since I’ve started these past couple weeks, that might have something to do with it.

[/quote]

What’s your motivation? I know a lot of times if I don’t have a set goal, I get really wishy-washy.

Well, it is to squat 405 lbs and to gain about 8 pounds this summer. I think my main concern is weight, I would really like to gain some more mass. Just out of personal growth, not for bodybuilding or anything. Since I dropped the Smolov, I already feel a lot better-- I honestly feel I was doing too much, trying to hit all of my goals too quick. Thanks for the response man. Patience is key!

June 9, 2009

• ATG Squats, close stance, 15s rest b/w sets - 225 lbs x 10, 185 lbs x 10, 135 lbs x 10

• Bulgarian Split Squats w/ added ROM - 60 lbs x 12, 40 lbs x 12

• Leg Raises - 3 x 20 - 25

Man, I haven’t done a lunge type exercise in awhile, they really kicked my ass. Great feeling though. Today was low volume, so I ramped up the intensity by having very little rest b/w sets. It was short and sweet.

June 11, 2009

• DB Press - 4 x 12-15, 100 lbs

• Superset -
    Chins - 3 x 8-12, BW
    and
    Rear Flyes - 3 x 8-12, 25 lbs DBs

• Lat. Raise, single arm, other holding on rack - 4 x 8-12, 15 lbs DB

• Superset -
    Seated DB Shrugs - 3 x 8-12, 160 lbs
    and
    Tricep Pushdowns - 3 x 20-25, 62.5 lbs

• Calf Raise, raised off 45 lbs plate - 3 x 30, 55 lbs

-CoC Grippers (Trainer)- 3 x max reps

June 12th 2009

• Squats - worked up to 3-5 rep max, did 315 lbs x 3

• ATG Squats w/ no rest b/w sets (for shits and giggles, and I enjoy doing squats.) - 225 x 10, 135 x 10

• Bulgarian Split Squats w/ added ROM - 3 x 6-12, 60 lbs, 50 lbs, 40 lbs

• Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 8-12, 135 lbs

AB Circuit, 3 x 20-30 each of Sprinter Sit-ups, V-Ups, Toe Touches, Hip Thrusts (on yo mama)

Haven’t done direct ab work in awhile (almost a year), it was actually a pretty sad sight when I did the circuit. I’ve been getting crazy lower back pumps for some reason when I do high rep squats, so the DLs kinda suffered.

I was looking for a specific thread and I found this lol. Your training has definitely changed, but you are still putting up those big squats!