T Nation

Evolution of Plants?

Ok, I have a basic understanding of the evolution of animals. Single celled life began in the oceans, eventually gave rise to vertibrates. Fish evolved into amphibians, into reptiles, then mammals and birds. But where did the plants come from? I guess because its a dull subject, but none of the popular literature on evolution covers the subject of plants.

[quote]WanderingAtheist wrote:
Single celled life began in the oceans, eventually gave rise to vertibrates.[/quote]

Between “single celled life” and “vertebrates” a lot of things happened.

For example, plants.

Hope that helped… :wink:

They spurred from a group of bacteria called cyanobacteria, which had acquired other smaller bacteria called chloroplasts (capable of photosynthesis), and the chloroplasts decided to stay in the cyanobacteria cos it was cost efficient = basic plant bacteria cell. From then on, plants evolved from them.

Thats as the general theory goes.

Damn, I thought the title of this thread was “Evolution of Planets”. Now that would be an interesting discussion.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Damn, I thought the title of this thread was “Evolution of Planets”. Now that would be an interesting discussion.[/quote]

I don’t think ours has evolved enough to sustain such a conversation…

[quote]vroom wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Damn, I thought the title of this thread was “Evolution of Planets”. Now that would be an interesting discussion.

I don’t think ours has evolved enough to sustain such a conversation…[/quote]

Well the fact that it spawned any life is intriguing when one looks at the parameters involved. I’m not even sure what all the parameters are or if they’ve even been accounted for.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
They spurred from a group of bacteria called cyanobacteria, which had acquired other smaller bacteria called chloroplasts (capable of photosynthesis), and the chloroplasts decided to stay in the cyanobacteria cos it was cost efficient = basic plant bacteria cell. From then on, plants evolved from them.

Thats as the general theory goes.[/quote]

No. Bacteria and Eukaryotes (animal & plant cells) are different.

The cyanobacteria were actually ingested by the larger eukaryotic cells (not other bacteria) and evolved into plant-like cells and then into things like plankton, and on land into leafy plants eventually.

Or you can go the Creationist way.

They were made by GOD. Stop asking questions lest you commit a sin against the almighty.