Evolution of Appetite

Today I was sitting in my philosophy class and we watched a movie on Human Nature. What intrigued me was that they began to speak about “early man” and their diets consisting mainly of fiber from most greens and protein from animals. The movie later went on to say how their diet was usually low in sugars, fats and oils. So for the body to make sure they get these nutrients, it would develope a craving for certain foods containing these vital nutrients.

Now in today’s world, sugars and fats are everywhere and packed into fast foods. Could this craving developed back then be part of the reason of people eating “unhealthily”? (besides the being lazy, not cooking, and want not.) Because the movie also said because the diet of early man was full of fiber and other greens, the body never evolved a craving to feed these nutrients, beings as it was readily in the body.

How could the body develop a craving for a nutrient that it didn’t know existed?

What about fruit? There is sugar…natural sugars albeit.

I seriously doubt a caveman’s diet was low in fat. I’m guessing they eat everything they killed. Eyes, brains, testicles and all.

yeah it seems a little strange, but then there was that recent study about chocolate and chicks on the rag. So if that really runs true, there could be some validity to this, even though it was a philosphy movie and not scientificly backed

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I seriously doubt a caveman’s diet was low in fat. I’m guessing they eat everything they killed. Eyes, brains, testicles and all. [/quote]

You hit it on the head, dude. There was actually a shift in thinking recently about primitive diets. For years, anthropologists characterized the early hominid diet as low fat because most small game is relatively lean (rabbits, squirrels, etc) but then somebody managed to pull his head out of his ass and realized that they would eat the whole damn thing, including the liver, brains, etc as you mentioned. That then puts the diet into the high-saturated fat realm, and everyone cried because they so wanted our natural diet to be low fat.

Well tough shit, we were designed to eat fats. From meat. End of story.

And speaking of organs… Here is a great site for learning how to cook offal.

http://www.offalgood.com/site/

actually, the body will send out chemicals (neurotransmitters), when we are stressed, or chronically undereat for extended periods of time.

these chemicals drive us towards fat and/or sugar.

fat provides a lot of energy in smaller amounts, so it’s a survival mechanism for the body to crave it, if we don’t get enough calories.

sugar provides quick energy, again if we deprive our body’s of calories for too long. also, sending blood sugar on a roller coaster will create cravings for sugar as ell

It just seems like too much thinking for something that we could possible have no control over. In this case we can only control our diets. If we are pre-disposed for a craving of sugars/etc then all we can do is fight the cravings. I don’t think we can actually tell our brain to stop craving something. Appetite suppressant maybe…specific food suppressant I think comes from within. lol my .02 maybe .01 :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Gerdy

I don’t really buy that we crave sugar or fat more so than other food sources. Really it’s just easier to eat than a bunch of slow-digeting protein or complex carbs.

I also doubt we are meant to crave the sugar itself. My thought is that we probably learned to associate sweet tastes with vitamin-rich fruits, and our tastes now deceive us in our junk food-filled world. Plenty of us on these boards are eating low amounts of sugar without consequence.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I seriously doubt a caveman’s diet was low in fat. I’m guessing they eat everything they killed. Eyes, brains, testicles and all. [/quote]

When they managed to kill something, that is.