Evil tuna?

Hey, I was looking at my tuna cans yesterday and noticed, for the first time, that they contain hydrolyzed soy protein. What’s up with that? Then I also checked the other brands and everything that was affordable contained soy as well! Any suggestions, should I keep using that kind of tuna for the sake of saving some money(I am in college,you know)?

What brands???

Get a membership with Costco and buy a case of the premium water packed Starkist. (SAM’s Club is also a good bargain option.) You have to be willing to buy large quantities but your unit prices will be rock bottom. As a weight trainer, I doubt you’ll have a problem consuming lots of tuna.

Look for the Starkist low- and no-sodium varieties. They have nothing but tuna and water in them.

I’d go with Bumblebee Albacore tuna… it tastes so much better than Starkist. If you can get a bulk package (from Sams or whatever)… I think it’s around 8 bucks for 8 cans. Theres actually a few more grams of protein too.

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. I am afraid I have no idea what Costco or Sam’s club are.
I am from Montreal, do they have those in Canada?
Do you have any websites or phone numbers?
Thanks

I have also noticed this. I have gone to other stores to try and find brands that do not have the soy protein and I have succeeded but they are $0.30 extra per can. Does anyone have any idea if the amount of soy per can would be enough to adversley affect me or my hormone levels?

I eat Bumblebee too, and it has the hydrolyzed soy as well. Is this a big deal?

I believe the amounts of soy protein from the hydrolyzed soy protein in tuna is negligible. However, I seem to recall that it is a source of MSG–it adds mouthfeel and extra flavor. If you are sensitive to MSG, you should avoid it.

Hey, all. In addition to keeping away from the hydrolyzed soy protein, everybody will want to stay away from albacore tuna of any brand, and all big fish in general. I know, it tastes better and all, but the FDA and USDA have established a “safe limit” of 1 can of albacore tuna per week. The problem is the high mercury content of large fish such as albacore, shark, swordfish, etc. Mercury is produced as a by-product of many industrial processes, and it accumulates in the ocean via run off, etc. Mercury accumulates in fish as they filter water through their gills and eat smaller fish. In general, big fish have been around longer, have filtered more mercury laden water, and have consumed many smaller fish, leading to an increased concentration of mercury in their bodies. Chunk light tuna and canned and fresh salmon are OK since their sources are small fish. The general populace probably doesn’t have anything to worry about, but people who eat a lot of tuna should definitely be aware of this problem. Do a search on mercury and seafood and see for yourselves. Take care.

How do you guys (and girls) eat canned salmon? I eat a lot of tuna, but cannot eat it plain - I add a little mayo and pickle relish. I am tired of tuna (and maybe I shouldn’t eat as much -see Dan’s post) and would like to try salmon, but I am not sure how to fix canned salmon. Thanks.

Hey, Oak. When I first started eating canned salmon, I would drain it, remove the skin and bones, and eat the ‘fillet’ portion with no additional preparation. That was about a year ago, and I’ve since discovered I was missing out on most of the healthy fats and the calcium from the bones. Now, I generally just open a can, dump the contents into a tupperware container, and smash everything together. I add a little Tabasco sometimes, but generally just eat it as is. Sometimes I’ll mix in a couple whole eggs and some almond (or other nut) flour, form a few patties, and lightly fry them in olive oil. I usually don’t have any time to prep meals, so the latter I save for when I’m home relaxing. One additional comment; I’ve found that store-brand or generic canned salmon just isn’t as good (taste, quality) as a national brand like Bumlebee or Ckicken of the Sea. Oh, and if you eat enough canned salmon, you’re bound to run across what you might mistake for particles of glass. Don’t worry, they’re called struvite crystals (magnesium ammonium phosphate), and they sometimes form from the components of salt water inside the fish when the can is cooked after being sealed. Canned salmon is a great food choice, I’ve lived off it for the past few months and have seen great health and physique benefits. Take care.

Dan - thanks. I will try that this weekend.