T Nation

Evidence that infrequent eating and a low-fructose diet might be healthier

OK I was just reading around on Dr. Mercola’s
site, and I found this fascinating article
linking IR (insulin resistance) to hairloss.
http://mercola.com/2000/oct/22/ baldness_insulin.htm

Now my worst hairloss (actually almost all of it) occured while my insulin sensitivity was worst. At the time I thought the hairloss was due to androgen issues. But now I strongly suspect it was due to the IR issues, and not due to androgens. Especially since I have recently done some heavy androgens with no noticable additional hairloss.

COULD IT BE that the epidemic of hairloss currently seen has MUCH more to do with the other current epidemic of IR, rather than to androgen issues? I (speculatively) propose that it does. Now my father was born a long time ago (1919) and we had a discussion many years ago about how male hairloss was not so common when he was growing up as it was at the time we had that discussion. Now correlate the trends: IR and diabetes was FAR less common in the 19th century and early 20th century. And (apparently) hairloss was not as common either. So all you dudes on the T-mag forum with ongoing hairloss probs might want to get your insulin sensitivity checked out.

Of course, I could be wrong. Like they say, this requires more research...

And below is a link to a good article on how
adrenal function can effect hypoglycemia:

http://mercola.com/2000/ aug/27/adrenals.htm

I’m on a research rampage today.

For my finale, here is an excellent non- technical overview of insulin function and insulin resistance:
http://mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm

There. Now you should have enough info to go fix yourselves.

Live long and prosper.

You make very good points about insulin indices. I did not mean to make the GI the be all and end all, but I find the II to be much less useful for the very fact that few foods have been tested. For majority of foods, the GI does correlate well to the insulin released. When you mentioned that lactose has a high II while having low GI–I gotta wonder if that conclusion was based on testing on milk or on lactose itself. Milk has protein and fats along with lactose, and research has shown that mixing macros elicits a higher insulin response. I noticed when I was a Zoner, that mixing fats with carbs to lower the GI did not help me get lean. To make a long story short, I use the GI list a lot, while consulting the II list somewhat to complete the picture. Now, I avoid yogurt and milk (low GI, high II), whereas in the past, I used to consume them sometimes. One thing I wanted to add, though somewhat off the subject, milk and yogurt does not seem to offer much health benefits when correlated to longevity. In fact, people who consume the most milk and yogurt seem to have shorter lives, but curiously, consumption of cheese seems to correlate with longer lives. Perhaps the fermentation and subsequent aging does something beneficial.

Hey Free, what kind of macronutrient ratio do you follow? How many meals per day do you eat? Do you rotate p/f and p/c meals, or do like 3 p/f in a row and then 3 p/c in a row?

You want to know my diet? OK, how much is it
worth to you? :slight_smile: Just kidding. I’ve found
that a macro of 35% C, 40% P, and 25% F works
best for me off cycle, and on cycle I drop
the F to 20%, and up the C to 40%. Here
is the order:

Meal 1 - P+C

Meal 2 - P+F

Meal 3 - P+C

Meal 4 - P+F

Meal 5 - P+C (pre-wkot 2 scoops surge)

Meal 6 - P+C (post-wkot 2 scoops surge)

Meal 7 - P+C (back to regular meals)

Meal 8 - P+F

BTW - here is another resource for supplement
strategies for dealing with IR and diabetes:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-042.shtml

Free Extropian: Thanks for all the links. I bookmarked Dr. Mercola’s site. There is enough reading material to keep me busy for quite some time. Being “folliclely challenged,” I found the insulin insensitivity/hairloss connection most interesting. (Thank God I have a decent looking head, which made it easy to go with the Mark Messier Look. For those of you who don’t follow hockey, substitute Bruce Willis for Mark Messier .)

P.S. The baldness/insulin link you referred to was inactive; however, with a modicum for "poking around," I was able to unearth it.

Free, I see that you are a man of study… it is strange that you did not do your research on Metformin well. Metformin needs to be taken in divided doses throughout the day (it has half-life of 6 hours or so) and clinical studies show that it has no effect whatsoever below 1 g per day. So, your 750 mg Metformin per day is not something that improved your IS. Other supplements, AAS and especially calories and nutritional breakdown certainly are. Just wanted to tell you this, up Metformin to 1-1.5 g/day in 3-4 doses over the day and keep coming on strong! :slight_smile:

Ah, have no doubts Sasa. I did do my research
on metformin. The 750mg dose I’ve been taking
is TOTAL for the day. I split it up and take
250mg (1/2 a 500mg tab) with my first, third
and seventh meals (all P+C meals). The
research that indicates that you need to take
at least 1000mg per day to have an effect was
with actual diagnosed diabetics, not people
who have not yet developed clinical level
diabetes. From personal experience the dosage
I’ve been taking works fine for me. I did
notice slightly better results at the 1000mg
dose per day. But after that, the dose
response curve seemed to flatten out - when
I tried taking 1500mg per day I didn’t notice
any additional benefit above the 1000mg per
day dose. But I like to play it a little
conservative, and improve my insulin
sensitivity through a multi-modal approach.
So I chose the 750mg level, and then added in
the other stuff like the fish oil, ALA, etc.

BTW, there was another thread on the T-mag
forum a while ago about metformin, and someone
then claimed that metformin killed his
appetite - which I thought was weird, because
I had never heard of that nor ever experienced
it. Well when I tried taking 2gm/day of
metformin, I did experience that. So that
person was right and I was wrong - it’s just
dose dependent.

Free Ex, I stand corrected. What you just said makes perfect sense. After all, we are not diabetic (I hope not, eventhough I sometimes think I might be borderline type II). Yes, it does kill appetite to an extent, at least for me. I tried mega cheating once while on Metformin and found out it is almost impossible! When not using it, I can eat enormous amounts of carbs during the cheat. That is certainly interesting. I also feel shitty after one week of taking it but the bad-effects wear off after two weeks. Did you notice the Metformin pumps? I have been on it for eight days now as a part of my three-week cutting after 6-week natural bulking (I gained 9 lbs, cca 4 of which are fat). Right now I am on creatine, Metformin and ephedrine HCL (low dose, 4x12.5 mg). I am also working in shifts and switched from night shift to the 1st shift, so yesterday I skipped one night of sleep and went to work at 6 am after driving around on a bike the whole night. I went to the gym after work at 3.30 pm and felt like puking from Metformin, it gave me pumps, I was extremely agressive from ephedrine, I was sweating like crazy from T3 (20 ug/day) but my skin was cold. I thought I would rip someone’s head off…