Evidence of Why Men Die First.

Why do men die first? This is a question that has gone unanswered for centuries, but, now we know. It requires a bit of explanation, first:

If you put a woman on a pedestal and try to protect her from the rat race … you’re a male chauvinist.

If you stay home and do the housework … you’re a pansy.

If you work too hard … there’s never any time for her.

If you don’t work enough … you’re a good-for-nothing bum.

If she has a boring repetitive job with low pay … this is exploitation. If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay … you should get off your lazy ass and find something better.

If you get a promotion ahead of her … that is favouritism. If she gets a job ahead of you … it’s equal opportunity.

If you mention how nice she looks … it’s sexual harassment. If you keep quiet … it’s male indifference.

If you cry … you’re a wimp. If you don’t … you’re an insensitive bastard.

If you make a decision without consulting her … you’re a chauvinist. If she makes a decision without consulting you, she’s a liberated woman.

If you ask her to do something she doesn’t enjoy … that’s domination. If SHE asks you … it’s a favour.

If you appreciate the female form and frilly underwear … you’re a pervert. If you don’t … you’re gay.

If you like a woman to shave her legs and keep in shape … you’re sexist… If you don’t … you’re unromantic.

If you try to keep yourself in shape … you’re vain. If you don’t … you’re a slob.

If you buy her flowers … you’re after something. If you don’t … you’re not thoughtful.

If you’re proud of your achievements … you’re full of yourself. If you don’t … you’re not ambitious.

If she has a headache … she’s tired. If you have a headache … you don’t love her anymore.

If you want it too often… you’re oversexed… If you don’t … there must be someone else.

Why do men die first?

Because we want to.

On a serious note, I have read a great theory by anthropologist Marvin Harris that the primary reason that men die earlier than women has nothing to do with physiology, but rather that we make choices that put us more at risk than women.

We drink more. We smoke more. We fight more. We drive more recklessly. We do stupider shit more often. We are more inclined to take risks.

So, if he is correct, and I tend to agree with this assessment, then, actually, you are pretty much right, too, Renton.

On a side note, anyone who is interested in reading some “fun” anthropology should pick up Harris’ “Cows Pigs Wars and Witches.” (or any of his other books) I’m not sure that it is absolutely correct in all of its conclusions, but it’s a great read.

Yes, the official reason is that men live fast and dangerous especially when they are younger.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Why do men die first? This is a question that has gone unanswered for centuries, but, now we know. It requires a bit of explanation, first:

If you put a woman on a pedestal and try to protect her from the rat race … you’re a male chauvinist.

If she has a boring repetitive job with low pay … this is exploitation. If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay … you should get off your lazy ass and find something better.

If you get a promotion ahead of her … that is favouritism. If she gets a job ahead of you … it’s equal opportunity.

If you mention how nice she looks … it’s sexual harassment. If you keep quiet … it’s male indifference.

If you make a decision without consulting her … you’re a chauvinist. If she makes a decision without consulting you, she’s a liberated woman.

If you ask her to do something she doesn’t enjoy … that’s domination. If SHE asks you … it’s a favour.

If you appreciate the female form and frilly underwear … you’re a pervert. If you don’t … you’re gay.

If you like a woman to shave her legs and keep in shape … you’re sexist… If you don’t … you’re unromantic.

If you try to keep yourself in shape … you’re vain. If you don’t … you’re a slob.

If you buy her flowers … you’re after something. If you don’t … you’re not thoughtful.

If you’re proud of your achievements … you’re full of yourself. If you don’t … you’re not ambitious.

If she has a headache … she’s tired. If you have a headache … you don’t love her anymore.

If you want it too often… you’re oversexed… If you don’t … there must be someone else.

Why do men die first?

Because we want to.[/quote]

So true.

thank goodness you still like women

I thought it was obvious.

to get away from there wives after being nagged to death!

That one never gets old

…but on a more serious note. I think it is because of gender roles. In the past, men went to factories and worked. Dealing with death every day on the job, even if they didnt get killed directly.

Stress and pollutants poisoned there bodies for decades. They fought in wars and had years of there life taken off from the hells of war. Many men died young directly due to this, so making the average death age lower…

Wome sat at home, cooked, and watched after the kids. Not easy, but not a life and death matter

Once service jobs become more common and women work more and medicine advance I think the age of death will even out between men and women

Single and staying that way!

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
to get away from there wives after being nagged to death!

That one never gets old

…but on a more serious note. I think it is because of gender roles. In the past, men went to factories and worked. Dealing with death every day on the job, even if they didnt get killed directly.

Stress and pollutants poisoned there bodies for decades. They fought in wars and had years of there life taken off from the hells of war. Many men died young directly due to this, so making the average death age lower…

Wome sat at home, cooked, and watched after the kids. Not easy, but not a life and death matter

Once service jobs become more common and women work more and medicine advance I think the age of death will even out between men and women[/quote]

All true.

[quote]Renton wrote:

Why do men die first?

This made my night! Bravo, Renton.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
On a serious note, I have read a great theory by anthropologist Marvin Harris that the primary reason that men die earlier than women has nothing to do with physiology, but rather that we make choices that put us more at risk than women.

We drink more. We smoke more. We fight more. We drive more recklessly. We do stupider shit more often. We are more inclined to take risks.

So, if he is correct, and I tend to agree with this assessment, then, actually, you are pretty much right, too, Renton.[/quote]

It’s a conjectural correlation-causation debate. But at the basic level, the root cause of the difference has got to be physiological, one way or another.

WolBarret, that is a GREAT avatar. I actually did laugh out loud.

if you remember where you found that, send me the link

[quote]streamline wrote:
Single and staying that way![/quote]

Statistically, you’ll die even younger…just sayin’…

yea women are out of their mind…tell me something i dont know

[quote]Renton wrote:
Why do men die first?

or… because we ran you over with our car :>)

[quote]Geminspector wrote:
Renton wrote:
Why do men die first?

Because we want to.

or… because we ran you over with our car :>)

[/quote]

It’s been tried before. I have some mad car dodging skillz!

[quote]Cortes wrote:

So, if he is correct, and I tend to agree with this assessment, then, actually, you are pretty much right, too, Renton.

On a side note, anyone who is interested in reading some “fun” anthropology should pick up Harris’ “Cows Pigs Wars and Witches.” (or any of his other books) I’m not sure that it is absolutely correct in all of its conclusions, but it’s a great read.[/quote]

Can you expand on whats in this book? Amazon only give a very short description and I’d like to know what topics the author tackles.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/04/15/230542.php

I actually bought the book from Half-price books just because the title caught my eye. I ended up reading every book he ever published after that.

Like I said, I don’t take all of his conclusions as gospel, but they make for some very fun, intellectually stimulating reading that will have you looking at the practices of other cultures in a more practical and sympathetic light. They are easy reads, too, I just blew through them.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/04/15/230542.php

I actually bought the book from Half-price books just because the title caught my eye. I ended up reading every book he ever published after that.

Like I said, I don’t take all of his conclusions as gospel, but they make for some very fun, intellectually stimulating reading that will have you looking at the practices of other cultures in a more practical and sympathetic light. They are easy reads, too, I just blew through them.[/quote]

Def checking this out. Thanks!

[quote]Renton wrote:

Why do men die first?

Haha awesome and so true.