EVERYTHING You Want to Ask about Squats!

Depending on how heavy you deadlift, you can probably get away with 1-2 per week.
If after heavy/high volume squats do light deadlift - 50-60% 3-5 reps, no more than 3 sets.
After lighter squats/lower volume you can probably hit a couple of heavier singles 80-90% range - the key is keeping deadlift volume low.
If you are going heavier than 90% then I would do it every 2-3 weeks and drop squats that day, focusing on the deads. Then maybe add an accessory deadlift afterward like block pulls.

I always keep them over 80% - in this rep range there is no point in working with less.

Very important - if you only squat with wraps it doesn’t allow the quadricep muscle group to work fully because of the mechanical advantage. It is important to keep these muscles firing correctly and strong or you’ll be unable to utilize them properly.

3 Likes

Thank you Amit! It’s really good to hear you confirm what I suspected.

Thank you Amit for your explanation!

You’re very welcome - build your squat without wraps and then add the wraps the last 8 weeks to get solid technique and used to the change in biomechanics etc.

1 Like

You’re welcome - whenever I look at a workout I look at the overall volume rather in terms of total reps performed (mostly) and they’re percentages, and less on the amount of sets :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amit_Sapir
September 27
Are you able to post a video of this - it will be way easier for me to give you feedback…this can be for so many reasons.

jamespinet:
Been having some problems with my knees coming in me under heavy weight. Usually low bar with narrow to shoulder width stance

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

jamespinet
September 22
Been having some problems with my knees coming in me under heavy weight. Usually low bar with narrow to shoulder width stance
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hello…

I have super long femurs and I find that I have a lot of forward lean on low bar squats even when weights are minimal.

Would it be beneficial for me to stick with high bar squats because of this?

Thanks for all your advice, this thread has been very useful :grinning:

Sorry this last post is a bit confusing…did you want to post a video? I’d love to give you some feedback if you want.

Ideally can you attach a video so I can see where the problem is?
Are you a competitive powerlifter? If not, high bar is a lot easier to stay upright (and helps with better posture when you switch to low bar, especially if you add olympic shoes to it).
Low bar is better for glute and hamstring development and if you do compete, it allows you to move more weight (from a biomechanical perspective).

ok well I am pretty frustrated with my form so this might tug on my heart strings a bit, Lol, but here’s a couple of my vids

This is me high-barring

this is low bar

I don’t compete, but powerlifting is my whole world and I really want to get to a two-plate squat. :blush:
Thanks for any input!!

Few basic guidelines from your videos;
First thing I see is that you’re tucking your ass in under you before you squat - this automatically puts you in the wrong biomechanical position …you want to do the opposite of what you’re doing now - ass vertical under the bar or even back a little, no tuck, and push your stomach out into the belt (literally the opposite of “pretty” stomach - get it out and inflated - everything should be hard and pushing into your belt to the front and sides…think about it like you are trying to burst out of your belt all the way around).
Second thing is you want to be a lot tighter in your upper body - push your chest up, bend the bar hard like you’re trying to break it over your back…everything should be like a brick from your shoulder to your waist - one big contracted muscle in your whole upper body. This alone will help you stay more upright in your low bar squat.
Third point your toes out a little - it will open up your legs and pelvis and allow you to sit deeper while staying upright…think about sitting down between your legs when youre squatting down.
Last - think about pushing your hips and “knees” outward as your squat.
Try this and post again

Wow, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with my form !

I made the adjustments you suggested today with lighter weight and everything felt really good and much more natural.
I ALSO was able to feel my glutes working properly for the first time in practically forever, and I didn’t really feel like I was tipping forward like I normally do.

Really excited to dial this in and start adding weight.

Thanks again :smile:

Thank you for taking questions.
I usually train 531 style. I’m 57 and have been training and squatting for years. I have recently added Zercher squats to my program for back off sets. I have a pretty decent idea of a training max so the programming is not that difficult. I own a SSB and incorporate that as well. Front squats are just tough on my elbow and wrist. They feel good and I can sit back and get depth.
Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

Happy to help. Always glad to see chicks getting excited about this sport - keep it up!

1 Like

Hi there. I’m sorry I’m not actually sure what your question is. Did you want a comment on the above or did you have a question or two about your program. I’m happy to help, but just want to be sure I know what you’re asking.
Yoke bar squats are great, I’m not a huge fan of Zercher squats - I don’t see a lot of actual benefit. Every program you make needs to have specific goals so it really depends what you’re aiming for.

My question was your thoughts on Zercher squats, beneficial or perhaps an oddity exercise of low value?
I have not run into many who seem to be a fan.
Yet for me , I feel I get good depth and my abdominal muscles, quads and posterior muscle are working. I use a fat bar and my arms elbow are fine. My shoulders get a break, like my SSB but I don’t have the same forces rounding me over. Just a little different.
Thank you for your time, any other advice or thoughts are welcome

It’s not a bad exercise, I just think there are better choices (yoke bar and front squats). If regular front squats are hard on the wrist - try yoke bar front squats - same benefit without the stress on wrists. Again it all depends on the goal. You need to choose your exercises according to your goals, as it all fits together differently.

1 Like

Hey Amit, I took your suggestion and started squatting 5x/week, it’s almost 4 weeks and I’m seeing some good improvements in both my squat and deadlift, and my squat technique feels better than ever. However, I have been getting some pain in my forearms when I squat, along the radius side (brachioradialis?). My biceps ache a bit too sometimes but nothing major. I’m still able to get through my workouts but it hurts like hell sometimes. It’s not bar position either, even with the safety squat bar my arms still hurt. I have tried doing a bunch of light curls, band pull aparts, and stuff like that but nothing really seems to fix it. Do you have any suggestions for dealing with this? Thanks.