Everyone's on Edge

Personally, it was passed down to me via my father and grandfathers and uncles. DEFINITELY not the media. Whining and bitching just "isn’t something men do.

Actually per capita AND absolute rates have dropped. It’s only our access to see it’s happening that increased.

In the chart above from the FBI on violent crime:
'90 had ~725 rate per/100,000 (pop of ~250M) = ~1.81M incidents
'18 had ~375 rate per/100,000 (pop of ~327M) = ~1.23M incidents

1 Like

You hear about this shit going on more because of your access to information. I have lived in Kansas my whole life. I wouldn’t have ever heard about something crazy going on in a different state unless it was a massive situation.

Now? I can go to yahoo, twitter, etc and have a picture of anything nutty going on in the entire nation.

2 Likes

right, but I feel like all of it has contributed to a rise in anxiety levels, and boiled up tension when there shouldn’t be which was my initial point.

It definitely has. The information age gives people data they aren’t smart enough to handle. Add in the need for fear mongering to drum up votes consistently and you have more than enough high level people pushing a false narrative.

In the case of violence in America, only the dumbest of the dumb really buy into the narrative, but it still happens a lot unfortunately.

Also important to note that the sky has always been falling and every generation has been told “this is the worst it’s ever been.”

But on a lot of metrics that simply isn’t true. Crime, life expectancy, general levels of prosperity, worldwide conflicts and wars.

We have so much more time to fuck off and worry about inconsequential shit because essentially most of our lives are automated and far easier than ever. Hell a lot of the people who post on the forums have said they’re doing so at work which doesn’t bother me in the least bit but just a sign of how even the “difficult” part of our life is often pretty easy now.

1 Like

I rarely ever see any violence.

for example in my entire life I don’t know a single American that was robbed. yet, every single friend I made in South America has been robbed at least 1 time in their life. Like, stuck up with a gun or knife type of robbery.

1 Like

Depending upon who you listen too in the first world, a lot of people still think black people are treated like slaves, gay people are murdered, persecuted, and have no rights. Women are paid less, and are treated like chattel and are virtually slaves themselves. This might have been true in various points of history. In the present these people have as many rights as anyone else, if not more.

1 Like

The world definitely feels like a crazier place than when I grew up. The internet has played a strong role in getting the message out there from extreme minority groups, and making them more palatable to the mainstream.
Sometimes you need to take a break from media, and just have a chat with friends, neighbours and workmates, to bring you back down to earth and see that there are still plenty of common sense people around.

1 Like

Sometimes when I do that it’s actually worse. ha.

If you live in a bohemian neighbourhood I could see it making things worse. Lots of nutters.
Do you perchance live in Portland, or LA?

Saw this article, made me think about this thread.

It really IS trigger finger licking good!

2 Likes

Awesome! But here comes the bad advice from the article:
“If someone comes in irate, just give them what they want. Just give them what they want and be done with it and get them out of the store as quick as you can,” Witt said."

Fuck that. Throw them out the store and call the cops.

1 Like

Technically she was not in the store.

True, in that case, shoot back.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed people being on edge a lot. However online it’s quite a different story!

1 Like

No, there’s only the one and only.

2 Likes