T Nation

Everyday Mobility/Stretching

Does anyone do an everyday mobility or stretching routine that keeps them feeling good? My hamstrings are so tight which in turn I think makes my lower back hurt. Hip flexors and calves are also problem areas. I’m too young to be feeling this way! What would be good stretches for me?

Mobility wod is a good place to start. He really focuses on hip flexors

do some glute activation and core work every day

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
do some glute activation and core work every day[/quote]

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I have a quick message for rds63799.

Listened to a Brett Jones (one of the FMS boy’s) on line lecture the other day - top draw mate! Understanding mobility was his topic.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Shows how little I know about stretching…but what’s glute activation

[quote]RunnerUK wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Listened to a Brett Jones (one of the FMS boy’s) on line lecture the other day - top draw mate! Understanding mobility was his topic.
[/quote]

ah cool I’ll give that a listen, could you please link to it?

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Shows how little I know about stretching…but what’s glute activation [/quote]

I’ll try to keep this brief, I have a tendency to ramble.

Activation work is basically “switching on” muscles that have “turned off.” I use the “” “” there because obviously a muscle cannot literally turn off, but for all intents and purposes it kinda does.

Take your hamstrings for example: Your hamstrings feel tight when you bend over, so you figure you should stretch them. That’s a fair enough assumption, after all, tight muscles need stretching. The problem with this is, it doesn’t address why your muscles are tight.

In the case of the hamstrings, it is 99% of the time the case that you have weak glutes and core (most likely caused by sitting on your arse all day at work, school etc). This weakness of the glutes and core essentially means these muscles turn off, so your hamstrings, hip flexors and lower back are doing the glutes and core’s job of keeping you upright and mobile. This is not good! It causes bad posture and back pain.

In this situation, you need to activate and strengthen your glutes and core. That’ll take the heat off your overworked hamstrings and lower back.

Try this: Try and touch your toes and see how far you get. Now, do 3 sets of bird dogs superset with 3 sets of glute bridges. Make sure you really feel your abs working on the bird dogs (and keep good posture), and you are really squeezing your glutes on the glute bridges.

Now try and touch your toes again. I’ll bet good money you get a helluva lot further this time. Your hamstrings have magically loosened, without any stretching. Magic! This is because your glutes and core have switched on, so your hamstrings can relax, making them less tight.

So yeah. I personally think that 10 minutes of activation work is better than an hour of stretching. Not everyone agrees with that, but it’s certainly true in my case. So instead of stretching your hamstrings every night, try a circuit of things like bird dogs, stir-the-pot, hip thrusts, glute bridges etc. Core and glute work, basically. If you need a hand setting that up just ask and I’ll pitch you some ideas.

Hope that helps!

Thanks alot. I will be doing this, also like that it only takes 10 minutes lol

WOW I just did 3 sets of 20 second glute bridges with 3 sets of 5 mini sets of 5 seconds on each side of the birddogs and I made it almost a whole hand farther down with alot less tension on my low back and hammies. Thanks

Agile 8 is probably the simplest and most comprehensive lower body mobility workout I’ve seen thus far.

I also like to do hip flexor stretches as suggested in the gymnasticbodies website to fix flat feet arch.

I also do shoulder dislocates and scapular retractions. Those two + full ROM chin-ups have given me considerably more mobility/ROM in my shoulder. I’m frankly amazed that the shoulder girdle can move like this.

Shoulder dislocations have helped my torn labrum feel 100% better and stronger

magick, do you mean with Hip flexor stretches to fix flat feet arch

[quote]chobbs wrote:
WOW I just did 3 sets of 20 second glute bridges with 3 sets of 5 mini sets of 5 seconds on each side of the birddogs and I made it almost a whole hand farther down with alot less tension on my low back and hammies. Thanks[/quote]

no worries man. Do them as part of your warm up before lower body days and you’ll have deeper and stronger squats, and better deadlift form.

[quote]TKH wrote:
magick, do you mean with Hip flexor stretches to fix flat feet arch[/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean here, but I’m going with “what do you mean with…”

Someone at the gymnasticbodies site recommended a series of stretches and exercises to fix flat feet that comes out of having poor hip mobility moreso than actually having flat feet. I happened to have flat feet, and using the hip flexor stretch more or less removed said flat feet and vastly improved my running form.

Chobby buddy,

Before any training session I do agile 8, and a upper body warm-up as well(magnificent 7??). I then might do some activation drills incorporated into my warm-up.

I think you should follow suit.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RunnerUK wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

ah cool I’ll give that a listen, could you please link to it?[/quote]

Sorry mate, no internet!

It was on Strength Coach website. You need a password etc a mate lent me his one.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]TKH wrote:
magick, do you mean with Hip flexor stretches to fix flat feet arch[/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean here, but I’m going with “what do you mean with…”

Someone at the gymnasticbodies site recommended a series of stretches and exercises to fix flat feet that comes out of having poor hip mobility moreso than actually having flat feet. I happened to have flat feet, and using the hip flexor stretch more or less removed said flat feet and vastly improved my running form.[/quote]

Magick,

Do you have a picture of the stretch please? Or could you direct me to where I may find one?

Thanks

[quote]theBird wrote:
Chobby buddy,

Before any training session I do agile 8, and a upper body warm-up as well(magnificent 7??). I then might do some activation drills incorporated into my warm-up.

Uncle Bird.

tweet[/quote]
What else could I add to shoulder dislocations and pull aparts

Go down deep as you can without feeling outright discomfort. You want to feel the stretch in your back leg.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Chobby buddy,

Uncle Bird.

tweet[/quote]
What else could I add to shoulder dislocations and pull aparts [/quote]

Foam roll and stretch your lats. That can also help with your lower back. Do some rotator cuff warm-ups with a band and I like to finish of the warm-up with some unilateral pressing, such dB floor pressing.

tweet