T Nation

Everyday Exercises?

Hello

What exercises can be done every day?For strength.
I know the neck harness can be done every day,is there others?

What are your reasons for wanting to do something every day?

Unless you are an extremely high-level olympic lifter, there is no strength movement I would do daily. Recovery time is necessary for progress.

Here are the pre-hab exercises I do everyday x 3-4 sets each:

1. Neck harness
  2. Rotator cuff work
  3. Band pull-aparts

When you’re planning to do something everyday, intensity becomes the limiting factor, not necessarily exercise choice. For example, Overhead squats with a PVC pipe for a few easy sets of 8 would probably be beneficial to develop technique and mobility. Overhead squats at 400lbs would be committing Hari Kiri.

What I was thinking of is things I can do everyday,to improve in different areas.
Mainly my press and pull-ups/chin-ups.
Not lifting heavy everyday,of course.

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:
What I was thinking of is things I can do everyday,to improve in different areas.
Mainly my press and pull-ups/chin-ups.
Not lifting heavy everyday,of course.[/quote]

As I said, you can do any exercise everyday if you manage the intensity correctly. For example: Dan John found he was week coming out of the front squat at Olympic Lifting meets. His solution was to leave a bar loaded up and do a few sets of easy front squats every morning. The key word there is easy.

The real question is just because you can do an exercise, doesn’t mean you should. What are your specific goals?

To the original poster, please read the article by Stan Efferding called “You Don’t Grow In The Gym”. As a matter of fact, Jim was the one that suggested this article to me. I am not saying to do exactly what Stan says in the article word for word, there are 1,000 ways to get strong. What I am saying is try to internalize what he is saying overall, which is train hard, recover just as “hard” (eating and sleeping for starters).

Great article JoeyWaters, thanks for the reference (although I’m not the OP)

Try bodyweight exercises. People often do very frequent chin-ups/push-ups.

“dagill2” : My long term goals is to get big and strong.I am not a lifter or builder,I only do this for my self.I want to see what I can accomplish with my own body.

“JoeyWaters” : Great article,thanks!

I do ab work and stretching every day for 10-15 total minutes to counter the effect of my desk job. If I don’t, my squat and deadlift workouts become negatively impacted. If I feel tight, I will use a foam roller or baseball (who the hell owns a lacrosse ball anyway?) and make things feel better. This is good on evenings before a workout. I leave the actually strength training for workout days.

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:
“dagill2” : My long term goals is to get big and strong.I am not a lifter or builder,I only do this for my self.I want to see what I can accomplish with my own body.
[/quote]

That’s a good long term goal, no doubt about it, but I think you need some more specific short term goals. Like a 400lb squat or 15 strict pull ups.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:
[/quote]

That’s a good long term goal, no doubt about it, but I think you need some more specific short term goals. Like a 400lb squat or 15 strict pull ups.[/quote]

Yes,I have short term goals also.Completely forgot to wrote them.
132 lbs Press,220 lbs Bench and 330 lbs in Squat are my primary goals for now.

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:
[/quote]

That’s a good long term goal, no doubt about it, but I think you need some more specific short term goals. Like a 400lb squat or 15 strict pull ups.[/quote]

132 lbs Press,220 lbs Bench and 330 lbs in Squat are my primary goals for now.[/quote]

Then I think you should be pretty single minded about pursuing these, a 5/3/1 strength template would be my recommendation, but there’s plenty of ways to skin a cat.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]fredrikBO wrote:
[/quote]

132 lbs Press,220 lbs Bench and 330 lbs in Squat are my primary goals for now.[/quote]

Then I think you should be pretty single minded about pursuing these, a 5/3/1 strength template would be my recommendation, but there’s plenty of ways to skin a cat.
[/quote]

Thanks!
Yes,I`m going to do 5/3/1 for a long time now