Every Man Should Be Able To Do

Swim- don’t know, never thought to calculate distance when swimming; will test ASAP
Run- no problem, 100-200m sprints regularly for cardio
Jump- done in the gym with boxes and several times while running from police, LOL!
Chins- max is 28 at 235 lbs BW
Dips- no problem; occasionally use as a burnout on chest day with reps in the 30’s

35 legit full ROM pull ups? I’d like to see that

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
5 Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master | The Art of Manliness
Swim at least half a mile or more
Run at top speed two hundred yards or more
Jump over obstacles higher than his waist
Pull his body upward by the strength of his arms, until his chin touches his hands, at least fifteen to twenty times
Dip between parallel bars or between two chairs at least twenty-five times or more

pretty fair. I fail.[/quote]

This is pretty easy. Of course I’m from an older generation where being tough and in shape actually meant something.

[quote]RyanRC187 wrote:
I don’t think any of those are particularly difficult for regular gym-goers.

Swim at least half a mile or more - Did 1 mile in API in a flight suit. That was miserable.
Run at top speed two hundred yards or more - Ok.
Jump over obstacles higher than his waist - I’ve never done hurdles, but I’ve got a pretty decent vertical.
Pull his body upward by the strength of his arms, until his chin touches his hands, at least fifteen to twenty times - I’ve maxed at 35, can still do 14 with a 45lb plate.
Dip between parallel bars or between two chairs at least twenty-five times or more - Easiest of them all in my opinion if you see the gym routinely.
[/quote]

35 chin-ups is a shit load but definitely believeable. I’ve done like 25 for maxing out on them.

I am in the same boat as you with the hurdles. Never done them but have jumped 32.8 inches standing vert before, so I don’t think I’d have a problem here.

Swimming a half mile would not be difficult if it is not timed. All about knowing how to change strokes when you get tired using one. You can backstroke for a long time if you pace yourself.

The dips and the sprints are a freaking joke. Who can’t sprint for 200 yards?

When your being chased by said bear/mountain lion you don’t need to be all that fast… just faster than your friend

I can do all of this.

can i get an ice cream cone or something now?

i smoke so i cant run for 200 yards w/o stopping to catch my breath.
other stuff is doable. hey wat abt carrying ur partner, i can do that tho shes heavier than me, agin cant run for a long distance, i think i should quit smoking,
is smoking manly?

Everything’s easy other than swimming. I’m never in the water.

“Run at top speed two hundred yards or more”

What does that even mean? I mean, I’m sure my 200 yard time would be more than double my 100 yard time, so there’s no way I’m running at ‘top speed’ for that entire distance. On the other hand, that means that if you’re taking that factor out then pretty much anyone who can run for 200 yards passes this test.

Better test- sub minute 400m from blocks.

[quote]Ithiel wrote:

Better test- sub minute 400m from blocks. [/quote]

That is actually be best running test that can be given. If you can turn in a fast 400 that usually means that you can run 100m pretty fast, and also run a mile at a good pace too. The 400m should be used more, it’s a great test.

35 chins is impressive and can be done.

I did 28 for final PFT in Basic, and that was after a 3 month steady diet of bag nasties and humilation.