Every Man Should Be Able To Do

5 Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master | The Art of Manliness
Swim at least half a mile or more
Run at top speed two hundred yards or more
Jump over obstacles higher than his waist
Pull his body upward by the strength of his arms, until his chin touches his hands, at least fifteen to twenty times
Dip between parallel bars or between two chairs at least twenty-five times or more

pretty fair. I fail.

25 dips? i bet you wont find too many that can do 25 non stop legit dips on parallel bars…
thats alot. i can do them, caude i train mainly dipd pushups pullups and abs,but i bet only a few can do 25 non stop dips. all the way down and all the weay up. no just moveng the head crap.

I don’t think 25 dips is any harder than 15-20 chinups.
The swim is where I would likely fail. I just haven’t done that enough to have any kind of endurance at it.

[quote]spk wrote:
25 dips? i bet you wont find too many that can do 25 non stop legit dips on parallel bars…
thats alot. i can do them, caude i train mainly dipd pushups pullups and abs,but i bet only a few can do 25 non stop dips. all the way down and all the weay up. no just moveng the head crap.[/quote]

what? You bet you wont find many who can do 25 dips straight? That is not a crazy number of dips… I usually do 5 sets of 20 when Im I dont feel like getting the dip belt for weighted ones.

But yeah I dont know why everyman should be able to do those things but I can/have so I guess I’m good on that one

[quote]OBoile wrote:
The swim is where I would likely fail. I just haven’t done that enough to have any kind of endurance at it.[/quote]

20 legit pull ups is way harder than 25 dips

[quote]gregron wrote:
But yeah I dont know why everyman should be able to do those things but I can/have so I guess I’m good on that one[/quote]

Well, there’s the fact that it says “every man” instead of “everyman”, although I shudder to think that there’s a distinction. Also, if you’ll read the article, the reasoning is that “every man should be physically fit enough to save his own life in an emergency”. I can get behind that.

i seen tons of big strong guys at the gym benching 300+ pounds doing dips. going 1/4 of the way down. if you do the dips like a gymnast, the way i do, all the way down and lock out at top, 25 is a lot.
just like pullups, 1/2 up and down… i much rather not worry about numbers and do the exercise the way its supose to be done…all the way up, and all the way down…

[quote]spk wrote:
i seen tons of big strong guys at the gym benching 300+ pounds doing dips. going 1/4 of the way down. if you do the dips like a gymnast, the way i do, all the way down and lock out at top, 25 is a lot.
just like pullups, 1/2 up and down… i much rather not worry about numbers and do the exercise the way its supose to be done…all the way up, and all the way down…[/quote]

I completely agree. ROM on exercises (especially BW exercises like pushups, pullups and dips) are a big pet peeve of mine. I do my dips and pull ups all the way down and all the way up all the time. 25 legitimate dips is a good amount but nothing that extraordinary or impossible IMO… I can bench 300+ pounds but my dips are parallel or below all the time.

I can’t do the pullups, the other shit is do-able

i can do those except for the swimming (maybe i can do it, but i don’t swim ever), and the dips might be a bit of a battle because i don’t do them often anymore. chin ups are a party though, i got 16 today at the end of a deadlift session to beat my buddy’s 14

For that time when you are being chased by a bear and he won’t leave you alone unless you nail 25 dips on the parallel bars

[quote]thogue wrote:
For that time when you are being chased by a bear and he won’t leave you alone unless you nail 25 dips on the parallel bars[/quote]

hahhaha!

I’m willing to bet that for most people the hardest thing to do would be the jumping.

“by the strength of his arms” sounds like chins to me, not that tough… i think for MOST people, not on here, any of these thing would be tough… but its all doable.

[quote]dakotah_13 wrote:
“by the strength of his arms” sounds like chins to me, not that tough… i think for MOST people, not on here, any of these thing would be tough… but its all doable. [/quote]

you dont think any of these things on here is that tough?

I think most people here are underestimating actually how far swimming half a mile is. I’ve done a lot of swimming and done quite a bit of distance swimming (1-3 mile swims) and 1/2 a mile is a long way to swim non stop if you arent used to it

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:
The swim is where I would likely fail. I just haven’t done that enough to have any kind of endurance at it.[/quote]

20 legit pull ups is way harder than 25 dips[/quote]

And even that isn’t hard for someone who can easily strap on 60+ lbs. and do 8 good reps.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
5 Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master | The Art of Manliness
Swim at least half a mile or more
Run at top speed two hundred yards or more
Jump over obstacles higher than his waist
Pull his body upward by the strength of his arms, until his chin touches his hands, at least fifteen to twenty times
Dip between parallel bars or between two chairs at least twenty-five times or more

pretty fair. I fail.[/quote]

So far I am

-drowning
-sprinting two football fields
-getting my legs cut off at the waist (I’m white, my standing vertical is terrible)
-only pulling myself up from about 18 cliffs. (I assume I fall off of the last 2?)
-but the dips, they be easy. I don’t really know how that will help me be more manly though.

Whoever said the dips were hard, obviously doesn’t do very many dips. I do three sets of 12 with a 50lb weight vest, and on the last set I do as many as possible. I usually get just under 20.

[quote]Im_New_Feed_Me wrote:

-but the dips, they be easy. I don’t really know how that will help me be more manly though.

[/quote]

I suppose dips are useful for pushing yourself up when you get to the top of the cliff? Or they could’ve just said muscleups I guess.

How fast do we have to swim anyways? I could probably do 1/2 a mile taking my time…but if I was getting chased by something I’d be screwed

What exactly does full ROM mean for chinups and pullups? I go down ‘all the way’ and relax as much of my arms and back as possible, basicly everything except for the forearms, and im sure part of the upper back. I see some people who go down almost as far as me, maybe half an inch less, but dont relax the bicep. Relaxing the bicep, their numbers are quite a bit worse. I guess its like Squating to parallel and box squating to parallel.

25 Dips is insanely easy in comparison to 15-20pullups. But, wouldnt a weighted muscle up be more ‘masculine’ being that you picked yourself up and your woman who is hanging onto you?

I don’t think any of those are particularly difficult for regular gym-goers.

Swim at least half a mile or more - Did 1 mile in API in a flight suit. That was miserable.
Run at top speed two hundred yards or more - Ok.
Jump over obstacles higher than his waist - I’ve never done hurdles, but I’ve got a pretty decent vertical.
Pull his body upward by the strength of his arms, until his chin touches his hands, at least fifteen to twenty times - I’ve maxed at 35, can still do 14 with a 45lb plate.
Dip between parallel bars or between two chairs at least twenty-five times or more - Easiest of them all in my opinion if you see the gym routinely.