T Nation

Ever Wake Up Choking to Death?

I know that a side effect of TRT is snoring, and if you have sleep apnea like symptoms -- for those to get worse...

So I'm wondering if any other guys here every experience what I have happen about once every 3 months?

I go to bed, and wake up in the middle of the night choking to death on my own spit. Definitely worse if I eat late and have acid reflux -- then I'm choking on stomach acid.

The feeling is like I'm breathing through one of those tiny little cocktail straws, and the sound of gasping that comes out of my mouth when I spring from bed and go to my knees on the floor is about the worst thing you've ever heard in your life. My airway is about 95% blocked. My wife freaks out and grabs the phone to call 911, but usually after I suck in 3 of those breaths, I remind myself to cough and I'm able to free my airway enough to restore normal breathing.

This recently happened worse than it ever has before, where it actually took me about 15 of those long gasping breaths before I could catch my breath. Really freaked me out, as I've never had that happen before. I had eaten late, and had a acid reflux in my sleep -- and I had sucked it into my lungs while mouth breathing because I was snoring. Talk about the worst way to wake up possible! At this point I'm taking Zantac if I eat late to make damn sure I don't have excess stomach acid, and I'm asking my wife to wake me up if I snore so I can roll onto my side before I mouth breath too much and suck fluid into my lungs...

Misery loves company, so if you've experienced this -- let's hear your story and how you deal with it!!

Google-Fu: http://www.google.com/search?q=wake+up+in+the+middle+of+the+night+choking+on+spit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

First result is informative: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Why-do-I-wake-up-gasping-for-air--as-if-breathing-through-a-straw/show/281799

tl;dr - see a doctor.

This happens to me occasionally, but it doesn't seem to be to the degree of yours...I've never been to the point of needing to call an ambulance...

When this happens, for me, the trick to resolve it is to take very coughs and spit (like loosening phglem). My coughs though feel very short of breath (like I have been out in subfreezing temperature). I am usually restored to somehwat normal within 5 minutes, but can't lie down without the feeling coming back for about 20 minutes or so...

I've found that it really only happens when I eat peanut butter or almond butter before bed so I don't eat those late anymore....sometimes tomatoes will give me a bit of reflux while sleeping, but I never recall it on this level, but I also have eliminated any food containing tomatoes late at nighat as well