Ever Run a Background Check?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]simpstr1 wrote:
I’m not sure I’d like what I’d find but on the other hand, what I find out might save me some heartache.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure AC laid out a sizeable portion of his criminal past out right here on T-Nation. No reason to waste your money. I mean, you could just call the guy.

WTF DUDE?
[/quote]

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]simpstr1 wrote:
I’m not sure I’d like what I’d find but on the other hand, what I find out might save me some heartache.
[/quote]

However, I always thought being a Private Investigator would be a fun job. I could hire Bodyguard and Tribunaldude and we’d have wacky adventures and shit.[/quote]

That would be fun indeed.

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:
What if you do a background check and you don’t find anything bad?

You don’t need a reason to get rid of someone. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

WIN WIN!

[quote]biglifter wrote:
You’ve been watching too many of those beenverified.com commercials running in heavy rotation. Personally, the less I know about people the better. It’s never a ‘wow, I didn’t know she was a Rhodes scholar’, more like a 'wow, I didn’t know my neighbor with the picket fence owns the domain name transvestitemidgetcircussex.xxx.[/quote]
And what car does that afford him?

Sim,

If you even feel compelled to run one on someone because they gave you a reason, I think that is telling all by itself.

Also, I don’t know how accurate they are. I had one done on me, and I came out clean, yet I have a felony. So I am not sure if it will do you much good.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Sim,

If you even feel compelled to run one on someone because they gave you a reason, I think that is telling all by itself.

Also, I don’t know how accurate they are. I had one done on me, and I came out clean, yet I have a felony. So I am not sure if it will do you much good. [/quote]

They are hit and miss. Most cookie cutter background checks are only as good as the information you feed it and the database they have access to. I’ve done criminal searches and after trying a name different ways was able to get it to come up. But with a cookie cutter check they just run the name thru their various databases - there is very little “human element” tinkering around and “investigating”.

I did mine and a damn unpaid TRAFFIC TICKET from WV actually popped up LOL.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Sim,

Also, I don’t know how accurate they are. I had one done on me, and I came out clean, yet I have a felony. So I am not sure if it will do you much good. [/quote]

They are hit and miss. Most cookie cutter background checks are only as good as the information you feed it and the database they have access to. I’ve done criminal searches and after trying a name different ways was able to get it to come up. But with a cookie cutter check they just run the name thru their various databases - there is very little “human element” tinkering around and “investigating”.

I did mine and a damn unpaid TRAFFIC TICKET from WV actually popped up LOL. [/quote]

That’s nutty.

I had my SSN, my passport, and my Drivers License all put in, came out clean as a whistle.

Maybe background checks differ by their needs. Mine was done for work, Sim might be having it done for personal reasons. I don’t know if that would change the outcome or not.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Sim,

I know…just wanted to see how much of a liar he really is…or maybe its wrong info? who knows.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:

anyway, you can find out a surprising amount of information with very little information. it’s like layers of an onion, except in reverse. a source here gives you some info, and you use that to gain more. you just build the layers. it takes a certain expertise but i’ve done it repeatedly. [/quote]

I was interviewed for a job recently where this type of skill would have been useful. If you don’t mind my asking, where did you pick up that expertise?[/quote]

I’ve done a lot of skip tracing (my first real job was a debt collector) and I used to do a lot of background checks and witness locates for insurance defense firms. It’s kind of one of those things you have a knack for or don’t. I pulled a locate out of my ass years ago…a missing witness to an insurance case and all I had was a first name. Case was 4 years cold too. I did some diabolical shit to pull that one. It wasn’t exactly “color by the numbers”. However, like I said, you get a piece of information and you build on it. You just have to know where to look and have some creativity. In that example, all I had was a first name and by the time I was done, I located her and had her full name, telephone number and address. [/quote]

Heh, I had a person make several nasty violent threats against my client by anonymous voicemails. AT&T wouldn’t give up the incoming phone records without a subpoena, and my client had no idea who this person was. I filed suit against Jane Does 1-10 to get a case, issued a subpoena, got the records, and figured out the person’s first name and city.

I asked my client if she knew anyone named “______.” She immediately said, “oh shit, ____ ____? Yeah, I told her to pick up after her dog a year ago. She’s crazy. And it sounds like her, you’re right.”

Ended up getting a permanent restraining order because, basically, the judge said “well, if you were drunk and leaving these messages I could understand it, but sober? You crazy.”