T Nation

Ever Run a Background Check?

Have you ever been tempted to run a background on someone that you met? what were the reasons that prompted you to it?

What did you find?

What good sites are out there?

People should just tell the damn truth!

Well, people need your last name to run a check. id never give them that.

You can do a reverse phone number search.

You need a social security number to check deeper than public records though and people can hide/lock their info too.

Regarding relationships, tempted yes, actually done it, no. I always felt like, “If I’m tempted to do this, then what does that tell me about this person.”

Background checks are for losers.

Winners actually put the time in. Following you about, sifting through trash cans, putting cigarettes out on their thigh while hiding in the bushes watching you get dressed, adding some fresh straw in the hole in their basement for bedding, wearing stolen panties on their head while performing auto-erotic asphyxiation on a bed of loose thumbtacks, stealing your piggy bank to use the money on bleach, zip ties, trash bags and duct tape.

You know, typical pre-date prep work.

[quote]twinexperience wrote:
I always felt like, “If I’m tempted to do this, then what does that tell me about this person.” [/quote]

That you really, REALLY like them.

Obvi.

Nope

Never would. I like an adventure.

I love background checks. Stalking debtors is the highlight of my day. Lock your facebook down, people!

stop attracting weirdos.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
Well, people need your last name to run a check. id never give them that. [/quote]

you’d never give them that…

along with your true age and…

anything else that resembles the truth.

anyway, you can find out a surprising amount of information with very little information. it’s like layers of an onion, except in reverse. a source here gives you some info, and you use that to gain more. you just build the layers. it takes a certain expertise but i’ve done it repeatedly.

I’m not sure I’d like what I’d find but on the other hand, what I find out might save me some heartache.

[quote]simpstr1 wrote:
I’m not sure I’d like what I’d find but on the other hand, what I find out might save me some heartache.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure AC laid out a sizeable portion of his criminal past out right here on T-Nation. No reason to waste your money. I mean, you could just call the guy.

However, I always thought being a Private Investigator would be a fun job. I could hire Bodyguard and Tribunaldude and we’d have wacky adventures and shit.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
anyway, you can find out a surprising amount of information with very little information. it’s like layers of an onion, except in reverse. a source here gives you some info, and you use that to gain more. you just build the layers. it takes a certain expertise but i’ve done it repeatedly. [/quote]

I was interviewed for a job recently where this type of skill would have been useful. If you don’t mind my asking, where did you pick up that expertise?

What if you do a background check and you don’t find anything bad?

You don’t need a reason to get rid of someone. :slight_smile:

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
Well, people need your last name to run a check. id never give them that. [/quote]

You should be safe as long as nobody has access to your FB friends list…

You’ve been watching too many of those beenverified.com commercials running in heavy rotation. Personally, the less I know about people the better. It’s never a ‘wow, I didn’t know she was a Rhodes scholar’, more like a 'wow, I didn’t know my neighbor with the picket fence owns the domain name transvestitemidgetcircussex.xxx.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:

anyway, you can find out a surprising amount of information with very little information. it’s like layers of an onion, except in reverse. a source here gives you some info, and you use that to gain more. you just build the layers. it takes a certain expertise but i’ve done it repeatedly. [/quote]

I was interviewed for a job recently where this type of skill would have been useful. If you don’t mind my asking, where did you pick up that expertise?[/quote]

I’ve done a lot of skip tracing (my first real job was a debt collector) and I used to do a lot of background checks and witness locates for insurance defense firms. It’s kind of one of those things you have a knack for or don’t. I pulled a locate out of my ass years ago…a missing witness to an insurance case and all I had was a first name. Case was 4 years cold too. I did some diabolical shit to pull that one. It wasn’t exactly “color by the numbers”. However, like I said, you get a piece of information and you build on it. You just have to know where to look and have some creativity. In that example, all I had was a first name and by the time I was done, I located her and had her full name, telephone number and address.

precisely this. its amazing the amount of public information there is to be had.