Ever Have One of These Moments?

So, I had a meeting today in NW DC. I parked up my car and am walking up the street when i hear a voice saying " hello?, hello? " I look over and see this elderly guy with a white cane. Obviously blind.

It turns out he is around 79 years old and has just flown in from Seattle. He caught 2 buses from the airport {DCA} and was unsure if he was on the right block. Guy is totally blind, nothing, no shadows, nada. He was here to visit his younger brother who was in a retirement home that was on the block i had parked on.

I offered the guy my arm and asked if he would like me to lead him to the place and help find his bother. Apparently they hadn’t talked in some time and his brother only had a few months left to live. Turns out this guy had lost his sight in Vietnam. Now, maybe i’m just a simpleton but I was really impressed by the fact that this guy had jumped on a plane, flown across country and caught 2 buses to get here like it was nothing. First time in DC too.

He reminded me of my grandfather who fought in WWII. Guy stormed the beaches at Normandy and was one of the first units into Auschwitz. Came home, worked for Ford Motors {UK} and played county cricket for Essex for 4 years. Doing all of this with busted fingers and a ton of shrapnel throughout his body. Never heard the guy complain a day in his life.

When i woke up this morning my biggest worry was what i was going to have for lunch because I wanted to keep my carbs low. What the fuck is wrong with me sometimes…

Cool story, and good job on helping the guy out

[quote]blindpirate wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with me sometimes…[/quote]

Nothing, you lead a different life because men like the guy you met and your grandfather made it so. One day men like us might have to make it so for future generations. That’s just how it is.

Good on you for doing the right thing.

Nothing, you lead a different life because men like the guy you met and your grandfather made it so. One day men like us might have to make it so for future generations. That’s just how it is.

Good on you for doing the right thing. [/quote]

That is a wise statement!

It’s called maturity.

I try and avoid it.

[quote]blindpirate wrote:
So, I had a meeting today in NW DC. I parked up my car and am walking up the street when i hear a voice saying " hello?, hello? " I look over and see this elderly guy with a white cane. Obviously blind.

It turns out he is around 79 years old and has just flown in from Seattle. He caught 2 buses from the airport {DCA} and was unsure if he was on the right block. Guy is totally blind, nothing, no shadows, nada. He was here to visit his younger brother who was in a retirement home that was on the block i had parked on.

I offered the guy my arm and asked if he would like me to lead him to the place and help find his bother. Apparently they hadn’t talked in some time and his brother only had a few months left to live. Turns out this guy had lost his sight in Vietnam. Now, maybe i’m just a simpleton but I was really impressed by the fact that this guy had jumped on a plane, flown across country and caught 2 buses to get here like it was nothing. First time in DC too.

He reminded me of my grandfather who fought in WWII. Guy stormed the beaches at Normandy and was one of the first units into Auschwitz. Came home, worked for Ford Motors {UK} and played county cricket for Essex for 4 years. Doing all of this with busted fingers and a ton of shrapnel throughout his body. Never heard the guy complain a day in his life.

When i woke up this morning my biggest worry was what i was going to have for lunch because I wanted to keep my carbs low. What the fuck is wrong with me sometimes…[/quote]

Just to keep historical accuracy the “Red Army” liberated “Auschwitz” the British army was never in Poland. The camp you are referring to was “Bergen-Belsen” and there is a fine video about this on the web just search for it.

So it was a case of the blindpirate leading the blind.

fuck, i can’t believe i missed that.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
So it was a case of the blindpirate leading the blind.[/quote]
lol

Cool story blindpirate! Thanks for sharing man.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
So it was a case of the blindpirate leading the blind.[/quote]

My man!!!