Ever Find Lighter/Odd Gym Plates?

yes, i have been at gyms where the plates are off. first gym i trained at someone went through the gym and painted white dots on plates that weighed about 42 1/2 lbs. Some very strong dudes who should have known better used them for their training. they had about 5 per side benching and 6 plus per side squatting and deadlifting. They entered a powerlifting meet and got crushed. it was a 25 plus pound difference.

my current gym also has plates that are heavier and lighter than stated. some of us know which brands are more accurate.

amazing!! even the best plates (of best brands) can be weighted and marked if they were off, and used for dudes! amazing!
but looking for this vid:

dude is hot… i never saw plates like those in my life…training plates? olympic ones? competition ones? bumper ones?

equipment at my gym sucks period. im superstitious against using the old York plates at my gym, i swear they feel 5 lbs heavier then the thinner “standard barbell” ones. ill skip past 3 of them for a thinner one.

the barbells i use for squatting and deadlifting are old rusty bent ones because they dont roll back or break like the newer ones do and sit nicer on your back. sometimes tho when unracking the weight if youre not underneath the bend in the bar it will roll back on you. and the nice bend can shave a bit off my pull too lol

old eleiko 0lympic training bumper plates like these (for sale)

http://forum.dailymuscle.com/showthread.php?t=55&page=2

could smeone get assurance and buy them?
does has same precision of the competition ones?

besides on that case of the vid, could someone went through the gym and painted “white dots” like you daid, on plates that weighed less than stated for posting this vid? that will not make that difference, but do you think that could happen?

[quote]alfa wrote:
thanks! but could some sweden eleiko plates be competition plates…and be weigghing off (lees accurate)??
and pvoosen you said you read on the eleiko site, that they used to have to weigh out record attempts because the plates were so inaccurate, you were talking about some eleiko (olympic or not) plates weigghing off/up?
any way, if i were squatting with two 45’ and two 35’, the poundage could be under 1-2lb, even that eleiko plates were competition ones…[/quote]

Competition plates won’t be off unless they are chipped or something. Most likely though, you don’t have competition plates in your gym as they are significantly more expensive (especially in a gym setting where you need 10 tonnes of plates).

competition plates can be off by as much as 100 grams!!! If you’re squatting a modest 275 kg your bar weight could be off by as much as +/- 1 kg :o.

Look it’s called tolerancing. Nothing is gonna be 100% accurate. Plate diameters may be slightly bigger or smaller, the spacing of the rings, the length of the bar, etc. If you do end up weighing out your plates how do you know your scale isn’t off? This is weightlifting not science. Get over it, cause when it comes down to it, it’s “close enough”.

I’ve bought equipment from norwegian shop SPORTSMASTER.

Their plates are off on average 2.5%. The bar I bought which was advertised as a 20kg bar, was 17.5kg.

No wonder, I wasn’t too happy about finding out about this last year. My 250kg squat was suddenly a 243kg squat…

However, I’ve adjusted, and in training I just approximate the weights, and when I go for maximum attempts I always double check it on a scale, and I’ve also written on each plate the actual weight.

In my opinion accurate weights are very important. If someone sells weights that’s off what they are supposed to be, this should be clearly comunicated to the customer.

SPORTSMASTER even failed to update their webshop after several weeks upon my first message to them about this matter.

You just can’t sell a barbell that’s marketed as a 20kg bar, when it is in fact a 17.5kg bar. And when you do not update your sales material to reflect this when asked to, then you are ignorant, and deserve to lose business.

I don’t mind using plates that are too light or too heavy, but I sure want to know it!

So for everyone that think it is important to use accurate weights, check them on a scale.

– Stallion

curious!! but i belive the most of oly bars are weigghing around 17.5kg!don�??�??�?�´t you?
Stallion tell me, could those plates you bought with average 2.5% be the same type of these ones?

even good plates 45’ ones can vary 44-46lb each one (+/-2% accuracy)! what do you think pkiousis?

someone wrote:The Eleiko competition certified set is probably a bit better than the Werk-San competition certified set, but not by much. Plus, the Eleiko training set is NOT constructed the same as their competition set.

(competition plates are always in kg and colored with the official color)so a grabbed 10kg eleiko plate must be green (official color) for being a competition plate and almost always weigghing +/- a few grams.
but a training plate (tha’s a not competition plate) and so almost always weigghing within +/- 2% accuracy. someone tell me more about that?

pvoosen

The Werk-San plates are by far the most accurate (easily +/- 0.5%).
it means that eleiko plates can’t be same accuracy (+/- 0.5%). maybe a bit less accuracy ~around (+/- 0.65%)…??

so Werk-San competition plates can be off by as much as 100 grams!!! and about eleiko competition plates??

Don’t trust a bathroom scale for this. It is far more likely that the scale is wrong than the plates in that case. Especially since most scales will read up to a pound or two off depending on the surface they sit on, etc.

But if you have a good postal scale, or something that is calibrated and installed properly, you can just weigh each plate and write on it. My method was not to write the actual weight, but to write the + or - value.

Then, when loading the bar, I just match a +3 oz. and a -3 oz (or as close as I have available) for an accurate weight. FYI, white-out tape seems to stick well to iron plates, so you have a clear white background to write on. Of course you have to put it on the indented part so it doesn’t wear off the first use.

thanks humanjhawkins!

but you see: someone wrote:

"…Thats why we published the tolerances that we did, because after weighing the plates, we found that that is what the tolerances were.
“The Werk-San plates are BY FAR the most accurate (easily +/- 0.5%), the Rogue HG plates significantly less accurate (typically +/- 2.5% but with one at +4%), and the Hi-Temp plates have the most variation (typically +/- 5.0% but with one at +12%).”

and i ask: why didn’t they talk about eleiko plates accuracy that supose to be maybe a bit less than Werk-San accuracy…? (maybe ~around (+/- 0.65%))…?? can someone tell me that?

so Werk-San competition plates can be off by as much as 100 grams!!! and about eleiko competition plates??