T Nation

Ever Drop a Bar on Your Chest?

http://www.break.com/index/guy_drops_benchpress_bar_on_chest.html

Basically that happened to me today doing a max 4. My ribs are in agony and I think I have prob broken at least one on either side. Shall go for an X-Ray tommorrow. Slim chance It could just be a bad bruising, but I can hardly breathe as it hurts to draw breath. Lying down is nearly impossible and sitting/standing isnt so hot either.

Anyway, thats ruined my training for awhile… I shall see how it goes. One thing that has really worried me is I have absolutely NO IDEA what happened except my right hand decided to loosen its grip of its own accord. I have no explanation for this and thus, I dont know how to make sure it doesnt happen again. I was actually repeating last weeks Max 4 best so its not like it was a particulary new weight either…

Has this ever happened to anyone??

Also, has anyone got any advice training - wise for a guy with (possible) broken ribs?? If it doesnt hurt then its Ok I guess? I can do without the bench for a few weeks, but Id be gutted not to Squat or Deadlift :S

Sorry to hear that man! I don’t really have too much advice or knowledge on this… hope u get better soon man!!! id def see what the doc says and then go by that… im sure ul be fine if u listen to ur body…

One thing I noticed in other videos (not the one shown) is that many people use a “false” grip. NEVER use a false grip!

I don’t know if your guilty of that, but if you are, then there’s your likely problem :S

No, but I knocked myself out raising up from a decline bench

i dropped 455lbs on my chest a couple of months ago.

i don’t think i broke any bones but i believe i tore something. it still bothers me when i try to arch. i also spit up some blood here and there for the first week.

basically do whatever doesn’t hurt. i throw back some advil before i go to the gym.

shit happens.

[quote]forbes wrote:
One thing I noticed in other videos (not the one shown) is that many people use a “false” grip. NEVER use a false grip!

I don’t know if your guilty of that, but if you are, then there’s your likely problem :S[/quote]

Is this a noob mistake? When I first was lifting weights in my late teens, I had crappy role models thus I used a false grip for years. Finally I learned more about lifting and switched to a “regular grip”. I found it easier to push more weight, focusing on trying to “bend the bar” to increase strength. I would never even think of trying to lift any meaningful amount of weight with a false grip, scares the crap out of me.

I dropped 225lbs on my chest with my arms fully extended.

Never using a suicide grip again.

I almost got crushed squatting when I was a teenager.There was 315 on the bar and both my buddies did it like it was easy so I thought I could do it, Yeah not so much.I started going down and thats when things got bad.My buddies grabbed it quick think god because i was about to get into a bad situation.

Dropped it on my throat. Not my grip - I dislocated my shoulder whilst benching. Training alone. When young. Made good recovery and rolled it off my chest over my abs. Man, once it gets off the ribs it crushes ye.

Morale: get a power rack.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Morale: get a power rack.[/quote]

Good advice. Sucks when you forget to set up the pins after your warm-up sets, though… Oh well, at least I didn’t injure anything =P

ouch thats gotta hurt

i actually do use a false grip as its so much easier on my wrists but this makes me think twice