T Nation

Evening Training/Sleep

I generally train early morning before work, however, in the last couple of weeks I have had to train a few times at about 7pm for different reasons.

I have found that on the days that I train in the evenings (weights only) I have difficulty getting to sleep and the sleep that I do get is very poor.

I am not taking any stimulants prior to training and I have my usual PWO shake but drop the carbs down to about 60 grams.

Any suggestions on what would be causing the lack of sleep?

Anything that highers the body temperature might interfere with your sleep if you do it too late in the day. Hot showers, sports, hot drinks should be avoided at night because our body needs to lower its temperature to be able to get in the “sleep” mode.

Perhaps it’s just a matter of your body getting used to the change in routine.

Is it a pain thing or are you unable to relax. Maybe the activity and bloodflow is stimulating your thought processes and you’re finding it hard to switch off?

[quote]duke wrote:
Perhaps it’s just a matter of your body getting used to the change in routine.

Is it a pain thing or are you unable to relax. Maybe the activity and bloodflow is stimulating your thought processes and you’re finding it hard to switch off?[/quote]

No pain, just takes a long time to settle enough to sleep and then I have very disturbed sleep. I was thinking that it may just being naturally over stimulated from the gym and with a heightened pulse etc.

[quote]helga wrote:
duke wrote:

No pain, just takes a long time to settle enough to sleep and then I have very disturbed sleep. I was thinking that it may just being naturally over stimulated from the gym and with a heightened pulse etc.[/quote]

Reckon that’s it then. Just have to try the usual remedies, Milo in warm milk, long hot bath or shower… perhaps read some financial material, works for me :slight_smile:

You’ll probably get used to it soon though.

I have exactly the same problem when I train of an evening. My solution was just to train earlier in the day.

When i used to train regularly in the evenings though I had no such issues, so it may simply be a matter of your body not being used to it.

[quote]ChickenSalad wrote:
I have exactly the same problem when I train of an evening. My solution was just to train earlier in the day.

When i used to train regularly in the evenings though I had no such issues, so it may simply be a matter of your body not being used to it.[/quote]

I assumed that was the case. I only train in the evenings when I absolutely cant train in the mornings so it is not a regular thing.

Thanks for the replies.

Your lack of sleep is probably attributed to the natural stimulants in your body, endorphins. The release of the adrenaline (epinephrine) are evident after exercise and this would account for the lack of sleep in your case. Some people can just crash, some can’t, but I’m guessing this is the reason for you.

Yeah I’d say you just have to get used to it. You’re changing up your circadian rhymths (ha, college psych comes in handy) so you’re used to being awake after lifting and now you’re trying to change that to going to sleep after lifting.

Have had that before, you are just so amped up from working out that you need longer to settle down. Since its new, it takes even longer. Your body will adjust and eventually it will go away. I would suggest you stick with one or the other but in the end, if you are not a pro, you gotta get it in when you can, anyway you can.

A

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
Have had that before, you are just so amped up from working out that you need longer to settle down. Since its new, it takes even longer. Your body will adjust and eventually it will go away. I would suggest you stick with one or the other but in the end, if you are not a pro, you gotta get it in when you can, anyway you can.

A[/quote]

Thats exactly it. I try and train consistantly in the morning, but couldnt today as I had to drive my Dad to work, so I will go this evening rather than miss out.

Thanks again guys.

Perfectly normal bro.

I can be ready to fall asleep standing then go do jiu jitsu in the evenings and not get to sleep until after midnight. It was much worse when I first got started because I’d be so amped up, but it has slowly gotten better.

Try the normal sleep inducing stuff.