Even More Movies You've Watched This Week

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Damnit Roy I was all pumped cause I have a few hours tomorrow to go watch Dredd and it is not even out yet. :frowning:

[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about that. Caught a preview screening. I got ahead of myself and forgot to mention it doesn’t go on general release until Friday. [/quote]

Okay Roy going to go see this in about an hour. I have faith in you about movie recommendations. Will let you know.

Any thoughts yet on Looper?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Damnit Roy I was all pumped cause I have a few hours tomorrow to go watch Dredd and it is not even out yet. :frowning:

[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about that. Caught a preview screening. I got ahead of myself and forgot to mention it doesn’t go on general release until Friday. [/quote]

Okay Roy going to go see this in about an hour. I have faith in you about movie recommendations. Will let you know.

Any thoughts yet on Looper? [/quote]

Well, tastes are individual so I can’t guarantee that you’ll like it, but I posted enough about it ( more than I should’ve) that you’ll know if it’s your type of flick and also to get people to give the fighting chance it deserves at the box office.

Looper has received excellent reviews. It’s been compared favorably with Twelve Monkeys and Terminator, and Bruce Willis said that it’s the best movie he’s done.

Saw Lawless and End of Watch this past week. My thoughts align with all the other positives, excellent acting all around and very engrossing stories. End of Watch was probably the grittiest cop film I’ve ever saw.

8.5/10 for both

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[/quote]

Well, tastes are individual so I can’t guarantee that you’ll like it, but I posted enough about it ( more than I should’ve) that you’ll know if it’s your type of flick and also to get people to give the fighting chance it deserves at the box office.

Looper has received excellent reviews. It’s been compared favorably with Twelve Monkeys and Terminator, and Bruce Willis said that it’s the best movie he’s done.

[/quote]
Movie was great. No complaints. Total enjoyment

[i]Looper[/i] - Just got back from seeing this. Excellent all the way around. It is more sci-fi and a little deeper than I was anticipating. The cast is pretty much flawless, the story was original and insanely interesting, the dialogue was solid and cliche-free (if there was one I missed it), and the ending was a bit of a surprise, though not a twist.

9/10 - I had to piss like a motherfucker the whole time and wouldn’t leave the theater; that is what separates a 9 from an 8 for me.

Apparently I also need to see End of Watch and Dredd. I gave my son the choice of Looper and Dredd and this is what he picked. I don’t think he could lose either way though.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Bruce Willis said that it’s the best movie he’s done.

[/quote]

Fucking so much day-glo bullshit!!.. That’s Die Hard, he knows it, we know it, my fucking dogs and my grandma that died in '72 know it.
It’s akin to saying 100 pounds is heavier than 50 pounds. Die Hard always will be Bruce Willis’s best movie. It simply doesn’t matter how fucking good anyone thinks Looper is.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
Bruce Willis said that it’s the best movie he’s done.

[/quote]

Fucking so much day-glo bullshit!!.. That’s Die Hard, he knows it, we know it, my fucking dogs and my grandma that died in '72 know it.
It’s akin to saying 100 pounds is heavier than 50 pounds. Die Hard always will be Bruce Willis’s best movie. It simply doesn’t matter how fucking good anyone thinks Looper is.[/quote]

Hey now, don’t shoot the messenger. That’s what he said. Maybe he meant that his Looper character was his personal favorite character to play. It’s not like he wouldn’t have a completely different perspective on his movies to us.

It doesn’t matter how good Die Hard is, that’s no reason to dismiss a movie you haven’t seen as “day-glo bullshit” - Looper is anything but that.

I’m just joking…a bit.

I love time travel movies and see every time travel movie before it comes out.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’m just joking…a bit.

I love time travel movies and see every time travel movie before it comes out.[/quote]

Plate. Shrimp. Plate of Shrimp.

Yep…that sounded a lot like me there.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Movie was great. No complaints. Total enjoyment [/quote]

I’m genuinely glad to hear that. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s going to recoup its $45 million budget. Which means that the studio is going to assume that it was a bad movie and reboot it in a few years with a cute puppy sidekick , PG rating and whatever else they consider to be audience friendly…when in actuality this is about as a good as it could be given the budget and troubled production history. Far better than it should’ve been.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
[i]Looper[/i] - Just got back from seeing this. Excellent all the way around. It is more sci-fi and a little deeper than I was anticipating. The cast is pretty much flawless, the story was original and insanely interesting, the dialogue was solid and cliche-free (if there was one I missed it), and the ending was a bit of a surprise, though not a twist.[/quote]

It really was a great movie. Much, much better than I had expected and I saw it primarily on the reviews in here. I have a bit of an issue with the ending but I can live with it.

People should go see this to encourage the movie studies to produce quality, original movie. You guys know there is a Red Dawn remake coming out right? That’s the crap that gets made now.

james

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
[i]Looper[/i] - Just got back from seeing this. Excellent all the way around. It is more sci-fi and a little deeper than I was anticipating. The cast is pretty much flawless, the story was original and insanely interesting, the dialogue was solid and cliche-free (if there was one I missed it), and the ending was a bit of a surprise, though not a twist.

9/10 - I had to piss like a motherfucker the whole time and wouldn’t leave the theater; that is what separates a 9 from an 8 for me.

[/quote]

My opinion of Looper falls in line with this. It pushed the premise far beyond one guy trying to wipe out his future self to preserve his lifestyle and his own hide, JG-L’s young Bruce Willis make up looked far better in the movie than in the trailer, the time travel aspect never seemed forced- almost incidental at times (probably due to the fact that this is a time travel movie where all the action is set in the future)- and there are certain portions of the story which are genuinely and dazzingly original.

One in particular straddles the line between horror and sci-fi, which I’m a sucker for.

I’m not sure if I preferred it to Dredd: Looper is more cerebral than Dredd and is more likely to be discussed afterwards, but Dredd is very much a “get in, kick ass and get out movie” (even though it has an intelligence of its own) and doesn’t outstay its welcome.

In some ways Dredd is a moderately budgeted full-length promo for what could be done with a budget more befitting of a comic book movie. That’s why I’m so keen for it to be a success and get the proposed sequels (which presumably will be budgeted relative to Dredd’s success…if people give it a chance).

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

It really was a great movie. Much, much better than I had expected and I saw it primarily on the reviews in here. I have a bit of an issue with the ending but I can live with it.

[/quote]

Might I ask what issue you had with the ending? I’ve been snooping around on the IMDb boards and nobody seems to realize that this isn’t a circular narrative like The Terminator was. That makes all the difference in how you view the ending.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Might I ask what issue you had with the ending? I’ve been snooping around on the IMDb boards and nobody seems to realize that this isn’t a circular narrative like The Terminator was. That makes all the difference in how you view the ending.[/quote]

SPOILER

I can accept a non-circular plot for every death except that last one because that’s the one that triggered the rest of the deaths.

But it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the movie at all.

END SPOILER

I also just got back from Dredd. Fantastic movie.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
Might I ask what issue you had with the ending? I’ve been snooping around on the IMDb boards and nobody seems to realize that this isn’t a circular narrative like The Terminator was. That makes all the difference in how you view the ending.[/quote]

SPOILER

[/quote]

I haven’t worked out all the details yet, but the story plays out across several different timelines and that should account for any paradoxes.

Old Joe says a consequence of travelling back in time is that he can see numerous possible outcomes to a given action : any of which could be his true memory. He said he only regains a solid memory of his past when one action becomes more likely than the rest and the others gradually fade until the moment the event happens.

That dominant possibility is now what Old Joe remembers as his past, but it may not be the past that led to him going back in the first place.

It’s not a self-perpetuating loop like in Terminator. The 30 year block of time between young and old joe is in a state of flux from the point Old Joe arrives in the past.

If events were pre-determined, Old Joe would’ve had the memory of meeting his older self in his youth because it was certain to happen…and he’d have remembered Sara ,Cid, and his time on the farm as soon as young Joe met them.

The way in which the syndicate punish young/ old Seth is a physical representation of this. They shouldn’t have been able to do what they did because Seth would’ve been unable to travel back, let alone continue his career as a Looper long enough to make them seek retribution.

What happens is that the past is undone as soon as a Looper travels back to affect his own past…sort of like a recording new info on a re-writable CD. And we see the new future unfolding in front of us.

Thanks Roybot. That makes sense like that. It’s hard to “think outside of the loop”…lol.

james

Finally got around to seeing Cabin in the Woods. The concept was very original, but they could have done so much more with it in my opinion. Great idea, poor execution.

The Dictator - With the exception of a handful of funny moments, I was very disappointed.