Even More Movies You've Watched This Week

“Sinister”

Absolutely no redeeming qualities as a horror movie. The trailer built it up to a point where I thought it would be a genre classic, but no. The story had tons of potential, and it seemed like they abandoned plenty of feasible arcs. There was one noteworthy “scare/jump” moment during the whole film, the rest was cringe worthy.

Several people got up and left roughly half way through and I don’t think I’ve ever saw so many phones being checked during the screening of a film ever.

Download it when it becomes available if you’re curious, but move forward with extremely low expectations.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
“Sinister”

Absolutely no redeeming qualities as a horror movie. The trailer built it up to a point where I thought it would be a genre classic, but no. The story had tons of potential, and it seemed like they abandoned plenty of feasible arcs. There was one noteworthy “scare/jump” moment during the whole film, the rest was cringe worthy.

Several people got up and left roughly half way through and I don’t think I’ve ever saw so many phones being checked during the screening of a film ever.

Download it when it becomes available if you’re curious, but move forward with extremely low expectations.[/quote]

I took my kid to see it and thought it was ok. I’d give it a 6.5/10.

I thought there were several “scare/jump” moments, though some of them were pretty cheap.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Cabin in the Woods

Was really bored with it until the last half of the movie, for obvious reasons. Then it was just pure entertainment. It was also pretty funny throughout. I also went into this movie with no clue of what was going to happen, which is a must for this one.

edit: but I really don’t know why it got such a great score on Rotten Tomatoes. [/quote]

Here’s why:

spoiler

After perusing that thread I’d have to go with whoever said the fun part about the movie was the control guys and the mystery behind the whole organization, and what the entire point was for what they were doing. But I agree with X that it should have been so much better. The first 45 minutes were crap, aside from some funny parts with the controllers and the dude who’s always high.

Another thing that I just thought of, and I hate when they do this in movies. Remember towards the beginning when it’s showing all the monitors in the control room, and one of the screens showed the five kids’ heart rates? Did they not look at that when they assumed the stoner was killed? Little things like that just piss me off in movies.[/quote]

The whole point was to show how a fantastical situation could become banal. They take a traditionally scary situation and poke holes in it. The main plot is one of many attempts to appease the ancient ones, who are willing to watch and re-watch the same characters almost ritualistically. Not unlike your average movie audience…[/quote]

I completely understand that. I also know the studio wanted them to cut some scenes that were critical to them accomplishing what they wanted (like the Asian school girl horror scene). I would like to see a “director’s cut”. The entire Moose-make out scene was supposed to be called “truth dare or lecture” where they talked deeper about the theme of the movie.

I think they did well with what they were allowed to get out…but would LOVE to see that movie made after Avengers. I am sure we would have gotten something completely different.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Cabin in the Woods

Was really bored with it until the last half of the movie, for obvious reasons. Then it was just pure entertainment. It was also pretty funny throughout. I also went into this movie with no clue of what was going to happen, which is a must for this one.

edit: but I really don’t know why it got such a great score on Rotten Tomatoes. [/quote]

Here’s why:

spoiler

After perusing that thread I’d have to go with whoever said the fun part about the movie was the control guys and the mystery behind the whole organization, and what the entire point was for what they were doing. But I agree with X that it should have been so much better. The first 45 minutes were crap, aside from some funny parts with the controllers and the dude who’s always high.

Another thing that I just thought of, and I hate when they do this in movies. Remember towards the beginning when it’s showing all the monitors in the control room, and one of the screens showed the five kids’ heart rates? Did they not look at that when they assumed the stoner was killed? Little things like that just piss me off in movies.[/quote]

The whole point was to show how a fantastical situation could become banal. They take a traditionally scary situation and poke holes in it. The main plot is one of many attempts to appease the ancient ones, who are willing to watch and re-watch the same characters almost ritualistically. Not unlike your average movie audience…[/quote]

I completely understand that. I also know the studio wanted them to cut some scenes that were critical to them accomplishing what they wanted (like the Asian school girl horror scene). I would like to see a “director’s cut”. The entire Moose-make out scene was supposed to be called “truth dare or lecture” where they talked deeper about the theme of the movie.

I think they did well with what they were allowed to get out…but would LOVE to see that movie made after Avengers. I am sure we would have gotten something completely different.[/quote]

Cabin was actually shelved for two years (along with the Red Dawn remake) while MGM struggled with bankruptcy. The fact that it was still fresh and relevant after all that time shows just how ahead of the curve Whedon and Goddard were when somebody could’ve easily stolen their thunder in the meantime.

The only horror sub-genre that was conpicuously absent was the wave of Paranormal Activity-type movies, and that can be chalked up to Cabin being made before PA, but released later.

Like I said in the Cabin in the Woods review thread, we will see just how good this is when the Evil Dead remake is released. It’s not going to prevent sloppy horror being produced, but it’s going to light a creative fire under the ass of whoever is writing the ED reboot and push them to give something new.

Otherwise Cabin is going to make a presumably serious effort look comical and lazy just by existing.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Cabin in the Woods

Here’s why:

spoiler

I think they did well with what they were allowed to get out…but would LOVE to see that movie made after Avengers. I am sure we would have gotten something completely different.[/quote]

Cabin was actually shelved for two years (along with the Red Dawn remake) while MGM struggled with bankruptcy. The fact that it was still fresh and relevant after all that time shows just how ahead of the curve Whedon and Goddard were when somebody could’ve easily stolen their thunder in the meantime.

The only horror sub-genre that was conpicuously absent was the wave of Paranormal Activity-type movies, and that can be chalked up to Cabin being made before PA, but released later.

Like I said in the Cabin in the Woods review thread, we will see just how good this is when the Evil Dead remake is released. It’s not going to prevent sloppy horror being produced, but it’s going to light a creative fire under the ass of whoever is writing the ED reboot and push them to give something new.

Otherwise Cabin is going to make a presumably serious effort look comical and lazy just by existing.[/quote]

Cabin in the woods reminded me of this movie. Which I also very much enjoyed.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Cabin in the Woods

Here’s why:

spoiler

Otherwise Cabin is going to make a presumably serious effort look comical and lazy just by existing.[/quote]

Cabin in the woods reminded me of this movie. Which I also very much enjoyed.[/quote]

I forgot about that! Forget what I said earlier about nobody stealing any of Cabin’s thunder.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Cabin in the Woods

Here’s why:

spoiler

Cabin in the woods reminded me of this movie. Which I also very much enjoyed.[/quote]

I forgot about that! Forget what I said earlier about nobody stealing any of Cabin’s thunder.[/quote]

Yea about half way through Cabin I was like wait…Tucker and Dale was more in your face where Cabin was more subtle and most people honestly would not get it Roy. We are the land of Wal-Mart and McDonalds.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Yea about half way through Cabin I was like wait…Tucker and Dale was more in your face where Cabin was more subtle and most people honestly would not get it Roy. We are the land of Wal-Mart and McDonalds. [/quote]

I saw Tucker and Dale after Cabin. T & D is the more accessible movie because of the two leads (there’s talk of doing a sequel called Tucker and Dale vs. Zombies). There aren’t any well-defined characters in Cabin: they’re supposed to be archetypes and actually the kids’ personalities are changed to fit the ritual with gas pumped into the cabin. A contrived plot twist meant to expose and explain the narrative leaps in generic horror.

You have to go into it with a good working knowledge of horror. That’s essential. There’s just too much going on at once to expect the movie to explain everything and if you’re a passive viewer, forget it.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Yea about half way through Cabin I was like wait…Tucker and Dale was more in your face where Cabin was more subtle and most people honestly would not get it Roy. We are the land of Wal-Mart and McDonalds. [/quote]

I saw Tucker and Dale after Cabin. T & D is the more accessible movie because of the two leads (there’s talk of doing a sequel called Tucker and Dale vs. Zombies). There aren’t any well-defined characters in Cabin: they’re supposed to be archetypes and actually the kids’ personalities are changed to fit the ritual with gas pumped into the cabin. A contrived plot twist meant to expose and explain the narrative leaps in generic horror.

You have to go into it with a good working knowledge of horror. That’s essential. There’s just too much going on at once to expect the movie to explain everything and if you’re a passive viewer, forget it.[/quote]

Your to deep into movies to recognize the fact that 90% of the population is fucking retarded and the deepest movie they want to see is Transformers or . :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen Cabin in the Woods yet, so I had to skim right past a lot of this. Thanks y’all. :wink:

I did catch Tucker and Dale vs. Evil over the weekend. Loved it. I wouldn’t mind a sequel at all.

If you like that kind of “different point of view”-movie, you might want to check out “Aaaah! Zombies!!” (on Netflix Instant.) It follows a small group of people that become zombies after eating contaminated ice cream (I think. I saw it a while back), and the movie flips between seeing them as they see themselves and seeing them how the rest of the world sees them. Kinda corny/b-movie-ish, but it was fun.

Also saw Hangover 2. Couldn’t stand it.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

You have to go into it with a good working knowledge of horror. That’s essential. There’s just too much going on at once to expect the movie to explain everything and if you’re a passive viewer, forget it.[/quote]

Your to deep into movies to recognize the fact that 90% of the population is fucking retarded and the deepest movie they want to see is Transformers or . :slight_smile: [/quote]

Deep down, they don’t really want to see such movies. One of those teenage girls watching Taken 2 spent the last twenty minutes or so browsing on her smartphone. Can’t really blame her, but people can and do pay to sit in front of a big screen for the best part of two hours and just rent a chair.

An event movie is like fashion: it’s cool at the time to rave about it but years later you’ll look back and cringe.

Meanwhile Dredd, one of the best comic book adaptations of recent years, gets no love (maybe just an awkward hug)…It just wasn’t cool after Stallone’s stint in the helmet. Fuck cool.

They made an R-rated comic book adaptation on a shoestring which worked. Nobody watched it. Studios are watching…they’ll play it safe from now on.

^ Yep unfortunately and not a damn thing we can do about it.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
^ Yep unfortunately and not a damn thing we can do about it. [/quote]

I did what I could. Even changed my avatar :frowning:

Not a movie but, I finally got around to seeing Battlestar Galactica(2004). Considering I hate Star Wars and Star Trek, I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. It is easily now one of my favorite television series ever.

Senseless- a terrorist group kidnnaps a young American financial high-flyer who lives a very sensual life and deprives him of his senses, one by one, by public vote, to make an example of him.

Inflicting pain to further a political ideal gives way to gratuitous torture. Blurs the line between voyeurism and sadism. He’s not an innocent, but the movie challenges you to decide when to side with him…if you do at all…

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Not a movie but, I finally got around to seeing Battlestar Galactica(2004). Considering I hate Star Wars and Star Trek, I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. It is easily now one of my favorite television series ever.[/quote]

BSG is probably my favorite TV series of all time. I liked each season more than the previous season.

“Killer Joe”

What a great film! Excellent performances all around, quite graphic and disturbing at times but it’s well worth a watch.

Looper, excellent film, just finished watching it. Roy got to say I loved this more than Dredd.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Looper, excellent film, just finished watching it. Roy got to say I loved this more than Dredd. [/quote]

MB and I saw this Monday afternoon. We loved it, also.

Plus, it had Piper Perabo tits doing a cameo.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Looper, excellent film, just finished watching it. Roy got to say I loved this more than Dredd. [/quote]

MB and I saw this Monday afternoon. We loved it, also.

Plus, it had Piper Perabo tits doing a cameo. [/quote]
Don’t know who that was, little trow back to old school movies with the tit shots. It was not in your face and big plastic tits. Again just very well done movie, have to take Maya to watch I didn’t know if she would like it or not.