Evan's Strength LOG

Hey everyone!

I am starting a journal over here after having it on bb.com for awhile. A little less drama here.

Stats:
6’
205lbs
Personal Trainer, 2nd year Exercise Physiology student.

Lifting Stats:
Squat- 385lbs (1rm)
Bench- 280lbs (1rm)
Deads- 430lbs (1rm)
Press- 190lbs (1rm)

Goals:
Squat- 450lbsX5
Bench- 300lbsX5
Deads- 500lbsX5
Press- 225lbsX5

Competition Goals:
1300lbs Total in next Powerlifting meet (Late summer, early spring)
Compete in first Strongman competition (Spring, summer)
Maintain a low bodyfat and high level of conditioning

Training Plan:
4 day 531 & 5X5 hybrid with event work on each day rotating heavy/light.

Nutrition Plan:
Density bulking until I get to 210-220lbs and then Carb Backloading with Paleo on off days.

Here we go b*tches!

Press Day:

Clean and Press 531:
95X5
105X5
115X9

Close grip bench press:
145X5X5 sets

Weighted Chins:
bw+30X6X4 sets

Dips:
bwX10X3 sets

*some random arm and rear delt work

Sled Drags:
300lbsX50 feetX4 rounds

Farmers Holds:
75lbsX30secX3 sets

Good workout today. My numbers are pretty low to start, but thats the plan. The 5X5 will be set up in a linear progression, rotating exercises in 4 weeks blocks working on weak points. Off day tomorrow, maybe some rowing for a little active recovery.

Nice work! Look forward to checking in on you. I just started a log the other day for my first powerlifting meet. We have pretty similar numbers. I competed in a Strongman competition before and they are a blast! Good luck man!

[quote]t.collin.smith wrote:
Nice work! Look forward to checking in on you. I just started a log the other day for my first powerlifting meet. We have pretty similar numbers. I competed in a Strongman competition before and they are a blast! Good luck man! [/quote]
right on man! I wil check out your log. Powerlifting meets are a good time, everyone is ver supportive. Can’t wait to hit up a strongman contest.

531 Squat:
235X5
250X5
265X12

BBB Deadlifts:
215X10X5 sets

*heavy & light ab work

Conditioning:
1500m on rower in 7min

Did this workout yesterday, but didn’t have time to log it. I was feeling pretty beat up from my training earlier in the week so I just did the basic program and some light conditioning.

My training might be soley powerlifting focused for the next few months, Nationals are in June and the timing might be right to enter it. Stay tuned. Bench Press today!

How many powerlifting meets have you competed in? What were your lifts? Any tips for a first meet?

How many powerlifting meets have you competed in? What were your lifts? Any tips for a first meet?[/quote]
Just one, 1102 total 385/281/426

For your first meet. Don’t cut water, compete at the weight you lift best at. For your openers do something you know you can hit for 5, 2nd attempt for 3, and your 3rd attempt go for a PR.

531 Bench Press:
175X5
185X5
195X11… rep PR

Overhead Press:
65X10X5 sets

DB Rows:
60X10X5 sets

*arm/delt work

Conditioning:
Sledge Hammer swingsX10X10 sets

Loooong morning of work, so I wasn’t expecting much from today’s workout… but to my suprise I surpassed a previous rep PR on bench press. Pounding down the carbs tonight, some conditioning tomorrow, and then back at it on Monday with Deadlifts.

Nice work! It’s always nice to have a surprise PR when your not expecting it. What weight hammer do you use? I have a nice little 10 lbs sledge that I use for conditioning and I love it. Nothing like beating the shit out of something with a hammer.

Nice work! It’s always nice to have a surprise PR when your not expecting it. What weight hammer do you use? I have a nice little 10 lbs sledge that I use for conditioning and I love it. Nothing like beating the shit out of something with a hammer. [/quote]
thanks man, I really need my bench to improve over these next few months so I’m happy about that. Love the sledge hammer, I use a 10lbs one too, great low impact conditioning and stress reliever!

531 Deadlifts:
315X3
335X3
355X10

BBB Squats:
175X10X5 sets

Ab Rollouts:
10X3 sets

Conditioning:
Battle rope tabata

Less than steller weekend of nutrition turned into a damn good lifting session…lol. Could have kept going with the deadlifts but my grip was starting to fail, and I think 10 reps was plenty for the week. Carb backloading today, and a soak in the hot tub. Overhead press tomorrow.

[quote]Colobb wrote:
531 Deadlifts:
315X3
335X3
355X10

BBB Squats:
175X10X5 sets

Ab Rollouts:
10X3 sets

Conditioning:
Battle rope tabata

Less than steller weekend of nutrition turned into a damn good lifting session…lol. Could have kept going with the deadlifts but my grip was starting to fail, and I think 10 reps was plenty for the week. Carb backloading today, and a soak in the hot tub. Overhead press tomorrow.[/quote]

I had the exact same results with my squats yesterday. Ate like crap at the beach all weekend, and then smoked some squats. Today was pretty sluggish with the diet back on track. Good Work man

right on man. The body is definitely capable of more than we think it is when conditions aren’t optimal.

531 Oh Press:
115X3
120X3
125X6

BBB Bench Press:
135X10X5 sets

BBB Pullups (various grips):
bwX10X5 sets

*arm/delt work

Conditioning/Strongman:
Farmers walks 110lbs each handX40 yardsX5 sets

Fun workout, overhead is starting to feel better too. My gym is getting annoying between the new crossfit classes and the retard trainers with their bosu balls, can’t wait to start building my own gym this summer in my basement. Off tomorrow, just some foam rolling and mobility work.

[quote]Colobb wrote:
531 Oh Press:
115X3
120X3
125X6

BBB Bench Press:
135X10X5 sets

BBB Pullups (various grips):
bwX10X5 sets

*arm/delt work

Conditioning/Strongman:
Farmers walks 110lbs each handX40 yardsX5 sets

Fun workout, overhead is starting to feel better too. My gym is getting annoying between the new crossfit classes and the retard trainers with their bosu balls, can’t wait to start building my own gym this summer in my basement. Off tomorrow, just some foam rolling and mobility work.[/quote]

Good work man! How do you like BBB? Have you tried other assistance work on 5/3/1? I have the same thing as my college gym. My girlfriend has been doing the main lifts (with a little encouragement from me)for the past few months and her form and numbers has improved a ton. But two of the “trainers” in there keep interrupting our workouts to “correct” her form. It really pisses me off since they are giving her terrible advice (and don’t know the difference in high bar vs. low bar). I wish they’d stick to undertraining their obese clients with terrible form and don’t try to educate her on something they don’t know. Once they got their online certification, they must know it all. End of rant. Great work though man!

I like the BBB, I haven’t tried any other template from Wendler. I was running Sheiko for awhile, so this is the first time on 531. I am ashamed to call myself a trainer sometimes with crappy examples like that, can’t wait to get my degree done with and then I can call myself a Strength Coach or something else…lol.

[quote]Colobb wrote:
I like the BBB, I haven’t tried any other template from Wendler. I was running Sheiko for awhile, so this is the first time on 531. I am ashamed to call myself a trainer sometimes with crappy examples like that, can’t wait to get my degree done with and then I can call myself a Strength Coach or something else…lol. [/quote]

Yeah, I feel the same way with my Exercise Science degree haha. Ready to finish grad school. It’s pretty funny when they approach me with wrong advice about sometihng thinking I’m oblivious. Only thing we can do is do what’s right and try to set an example.

[/quote]

Yeah, I feel the same way with my Exercise Science degree haha. Ready to finish grad school. It’s pretty funny when they approach me with wrong advice about sometihng thinking I’m oblivious. Only thing we can do is do what’s right and try to set an example. [/quote]
Nice! I plan on getting my masters after I finish up too. What are your career plans?

[quote]Colobb wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, I feel the same way with my Exercise Science degree haha. Ready to finish grad school. It’s pretty funny when they approach me with wrong advice about sometihng thinking I’m oblivious. Only thing we can do is do what’s right and try to set an example. [/quote]
Nice! I plan on getting my masters after I finish up too. What are your career plans?[/quote]

Hopefully work as a Physical Therapist for some branch of the military (my last clinical is at Ft. Bragg in NC) or possibly high level orthopedics (One of our professors has a few NFL connections and just got someone a job with the Seahawks). Maybe eventually go back to be an orthopedic surgeon. What about yourself?

Either cardiac rehab (nice stable hospital job) or strength coach on a high school/college level.

531 Squats:
245X3
265X3
280X8

BBB Deadlifts:
205X10X5 sets

*ab work

Conditioning…none

After getting up at 4am and training 8 people in a row, and then a staff meeting… I am lucky I even had the energy to make it into the gym. Feeling pretty burnt out with work, school, training, ect… Yes first world problems.

Hit my numbers easily, could have repped out 3-4 more with the squats but no reason to. Bench tomorrow.