T Nation

Evan's Offseason Training: Road to a Pro Card

Hey Guys,

As some of you know, I recently competed in the Granite State Open, an NGA bodybuilding show, and took first in a pretty competitive Novice Class consisting of 11 competitors. I was very pleased with my first showing, the condition I came in at, and the size I had, but now it’s time to get back to the drawing board and take it all to the next level.

My goals for the next 1-2 years are to make serious progress and compete in either an NGA, OCB, or INBF show and vie for a pro card. I think that this is a realistic goal and definitely attainable if I improve in the right areas and come in absolutely peeled next year. I will be posting pics from my show in my ‘First Contest’ thread in the BBing forum for all those that are interested and will keep this log mainly dedicated to my training.

I weighed in at 200 the day before the contest (about 197 first thing in the morning, this weight was taken around 3:00 PM) and right now at the end of the day I weighed 207, so my post contest ‘bloat’ isn’t really bad at all. My guess is I’ll be back around my contest weight by the weekend and then I will evaluate where to go with my macros.

Right now, training-wise, I will be following a routine inspired by Eric Broser’s P/RR/S template.

Here is a pic from the contest…terrible lighting, and look for pro pics in my thread in the coming days.

In! Wow, you look terrific in that picture. Arms don't even look like a weak point. Keep killing it!

Here is today's training:

Rack Chins (55 percent 5 Rep Max)
55 x 5x5

Incline Bench Press (55 percent 5 rep max)
155 x 5x5

Bent Over Barbell Rows
worked up to 315 x 8, 335 x 6

Floor Press (each rep dead-stop)
275 x 6
295 x 4
275 x 4

Single-Arm Barbell Rows (using 25s, strict form)
75 x 8 LR
100 x 8 LR
125 x 8 LR
135 x 7 LR

Incline Dumbbell Flies
45 x 10
70 x 8
85 x 8, 8

20 minutes medium state elliptical: burned 340 calories

Today felt amazing. First day of the offseason and everything felt great. Floor press weights were cake, close to an all-time PR despite not doing them in forever.

As you can see, I am utilizing a percentage-based lifting progression and my 'Power' exercises for back and chest are rack chins and incline bench respectively. My 5 RM are conservatively estimate at 110 and 275, even though I can probably do more than that, I'd rather start off lower and hit them than too high.

Cardio felt good...all the water weight/glycogen I am storing from my post-contest binge is quickly subsiding, with my weight being the same post workout as it was first thing in the morning. I weighed 207 after 3 meals and around 1.5 gallons of water today so hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be back around 203-202 and then around 200 by mid-later this week.

Congrats on winning the overall definitely following!

Thanks 165! This pose actually came out a lot better than I thought.

Thanks Elmore, glad to have ya on board!

Good stuff. It's neat to see you excel at everything you've done in strength sports so far

Thanks matt...a short stint in strongman to BBing! I think I've found the sport I'd like to really pursue tho : ).

In for the domination that is going to occur in this log!

I'm in

Im deff in dude

Haha thanks PB!

@ Spar4tee and Black: Thanks guys, appreciate the support!

I'll be posting my diet in here as well. Here is yesterdays food log:

Meal 1) 5 omega 3 eggs, 1 Thomas Whole Wheat Bagel

Meal 2) 6.5 ounces 99 percent lean ground turkey, 1/2 tbsp macadamia nut oil, 2 slices sesame Ezekiel bread

Meal 3) 1 cup quick oats, 1/2 medium banana, 1.25 scoops TP whey, 30 grams power butter, 1/2 scoop greens

During Training: 3 scoops Xtend, 10 grams creatine monohydrate, 6 grams beta alanine

Meal 4) 8 ounces 99 percent lean ground turkey, 250 grams yellow potato, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Meal 5) 300 grams Fage fat free Greek yogurt, 1.75 scoops TP whey, 35 grams power butter, 1/2 medium banana

Totals: 68.3 grams of fat, 235.7 grams of carbs, 304.6 grams of protein, 2,809 calories

These totals are pretty much right where I want to be at this point in the very beginning of the offseason. Just for reference, my bodyweight this morning was 204.5, down from around 208 yesterday. I will be doing Medium state cardio every day and might do some HIIT or circuit work on Wednesday as well until my weight baselines again around 200-202. I looked noticeably less watery this morning from the post-contest bing and am regaining my "normal" look lol.

A buddy of mine is going on a mini diet (big guy, coming down from 315 at 6'3'') so I am doing cardio with him...off to do some morning SS now : )...Legs Power later today.

AM: 30 minutes medium state cardio

Split this between incline treadmill at 3.3-3.8/10 and the elliptical.

I am slowly going to taper cardio down, but for now, it will be pretty similar to what I was doing 2-3 weeks out of the contest, minus the HIIT volume.

Awesome progress, will be keeping track of this!

Awesome job ebomb.

@ Marzouk and Deat: Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Arms/Shoulders Power

Seated Barbell Press (55)
120 x 5x5

Lying EZ Bar Skulls (55)
70 + bar x 5x5

EZ Preacher Curls (55)
40 + bar x 5x5

Decline Close Grip Press
Worked up to 295 x 5, 275 x 7

Alternating Dumbbell Curls (strict form, palms forward entire eccentric)
45 x 7 LR
55 x 7 LR
60 x 7 LR

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
40 x 8
47.5 x 8, 8

Barbell Shrugs w/3 seconds hold at top
Worked up to 405 x 6, 6

Awesome shoulder/arm day.

Weights felt pretty damn good for being right off the contest. Decline CGBP will only go up, 275 x 10 was possible had I gone for it first set which would be a PR. Alternating curls felt amazing. Still playing around with my split, but I think I will try and organize it so that im hitting everything twice in an 8 day period.

So I figure that listing some goals would be a good idea to kick off this log.

First, I'd like to add some size to my upper body, namely my arms and upper chest. I am going to prioritize abdominal training more this offseason, as I'd like to have some thicker abs on stage next show. I would like to slowly push my weight up to around 225-235 again, except remain much leaner than I was before so that the contest diet will be smoother.

Some lifting goals are as follows:
Back Squat: 505 x 7-8
Front Squat: 405 x 5
Incline Bench: 315 x 5-7
Deadlifts: 605 x 3-5
Seated Barbell Press: 245 x 5
Close Grip Decline Press: 315 x 8
EZ Preacher Curls: 125 + Bar x 5-8 solid reps

I think all of these are attainable within the next 6-8 months or so, especially when I start really pushing my weight into the upper 220s.

Right now, I am getting back into lifting heavy and my split is not set in stone yet. I will most likely engage in a split that has me focusing on compound lifts twice/week to start off, as I want to gain as much strength possible quickly.

After that, I might return to hitting a body part once a week or so.

The theory behind resting 2 days after the full cycle is that I will be pretty beat up after going through 3 on 1 off 3 on, so taking that extra day of recovery for now will be good for my body...It will also allow me to get in some offseason cardio (HIIT or sprints etc)...Again, this is subject to change as always.