Evander Holyfield Coming Back!?!

This can’t be a good idea.

I’d like to see him fight Ken Shamrock.

This is a sad day.

It seems that many boxers do this comeback thing long after they have passed their peak.

Why is it?

It could be a combination of things. Being struck repeatedly in the head over a long period of time might just play havoc with decision making parts of the brain- Not kidding.

But, then again, it could be that they simply want to keep doing what has given them money, fame and a great deal of respect for many years.

No one wants to give that up.

The more I see things like this the more I admire two great heavyweights that left the game at the top of their game and never came back.

Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
This is a sad day.

It seems that many boxers do this comeback thing long after they have passed their peak.

Why is it?[/quote]

They probably miss the adulation and fame they had when they were at the top of their game. Being a “former World Champion” probably sucks compared to being the “current World Champion.” No one wants to be a has-been.

You see that phenomena relatively often with former Olympic champions. Many of them have dedicated their entire lives to their chosen discipline and when their prime passes, they’ve got nothing to fall back on.

I’ve always liked Holyfield so I think what sucks is that there’s a good possibility that this man is going to eventually be a walking vegetable. It really makes you wonder about those around him that might be encouraging him to continue with this comeback. I know there were people echoing the need for him to retire back when he was fighting 4 or 5 years ago because of possible longterm health problems.

who cares if he’s past his prime or whatever. the man is a champion boxer and he’s doing what he wants to do. so he was better once upon a time. so he gets beat up. so it hurts you to watch him be so old and slow. so what. that’s life. everbody gets old and slow. but not everybody quits because the challenge gets harder and harder and inevitably in surmountable. that’s death. why do you people want to feel sorry for him ?

worst case scenario : he’ll feel better about himself being a poor to mediocre boxer than he would being a poor to mediocre golfer.

[quote]swivel wrote:
who cares if he’s past his prime or whatever. the man is a champion boxer and he’s doing what he wants to do. so he was better once upon a time. so he gets beat up. so it hurts you to watch him be so old and slow. so what. that’s life. everbody gets old and slow. but not everybody quits because the challenge gets harder and harder and inevitably in surmountable. that’s death. why do you people want to feel sorry for him ?

worst case scenario : he’ll feel better about himself being a poor to mediocre boxer than he would being a poor to mediocre golfer. [/quote]

It just sucks to see something great be reduced to something small. Kind of a reminder of our own mortality.

At least he’ll come back in shape. No one is more dedicated to training than him.

Not too smart though.