Evaluating Performance

I am curious as to how you guys evaluate your workout. By the numbers you put up? By how sore you are?

I am interested because I am running into a problem right now. Last week I did 15 sets for chest and 15 sets for triceps on a Wednesday. I was sore for about 3 days and I felt as though I did a good job in the gym.

Then today I do the same thing but I am not sore at all. Do I have to now do 20 sets of each bodypart? For reference, I am a 16 yr old male weighing 145 pounds at 5’8’'.

compare the 2 workouts, how much time did you spend in between reps, sets etc. did you run into a buddy on the week you felt worse and talk for 5 minutes, compare the two workouts and evaluate the intensity levels of each, also how did you eat both weeks, did you eat poorly one week and not the other, theres probably millions of tihngs that could be a factor

I forgot to state that I was doing each set in the 13 rep range.

@corey: I have tried to compate them, but I think that since I have already done it before, it just won’t be as much stimulation. I don’t think that i can adapt within a week though, so i will look further to see some differences between the two workouts.

as for eating, i eat the same every week so consistency isn’t a problem.

[quote]razdds2 wrote:
I am curious as to how you guys evaluate your workout. By the numbers you put up? By how sore you are?

I am interested because I am running into a problem right now. Last week I did 15 sets for chest and 15 sets for triceps on a Wednesday. I was sore for about 3 days and I felt as though I did a good job in the gym.

Then today I do the same thing but I am not sore at all. Do I have to now do 20 sets of each bodypart? For reference, I am a 16 yr old male weighing 145 pounds at 5’8’'.[/quote]

Wtf 15 sets for triceps and 15 for chest? Get on a routine that’s well put together. Less is sometimes better in the world of lifting.

Search around on here for a good split already set up. learn about ramping in the Professor X A request thread.

You should be sore after a new workout, but less so as you adapt to it and get stronger.
If you are improving, don’t worry so much about being sore, however if your doing the same routine that you’ve done for the last 2 months or more and your not seeing much improvement, you should change your routine.

Increasing the volume(doing more sets) isn’t the only way to make your workout harder and spark new strength and size gains though.

Keep reading this site and use the search function (look up training variables), there is a lot of information and this is pretty basic stuff that is covered a lot.